If you applied to Oxbridge, were you successful? Watch

Poll: If you applied, did you get into Oxbridge??
YES (81)
58.7%
NO (57)
41.3%
This discussion is closed.
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jamesclark95)
I know, but I want to see the variation of statistics of admissions into Oxbridge.
Erm, but as this is in the Oxbridge forum, the majority of people who'll see this thread and vote in the poll will obviously be people who were successful, otherwise they'd probably have stopped reading this forum by now.:erm:
Leon Trotsky
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by NEEHOW)
YOU ARE TRULY AMAZING. WHAT DID YOU GET IN YOUR GCSE'S AND WHAT DID YOU STUDY IF I MAY ASK? i have no idea why i wrote that in capitals but hey!:p:
I'd me more than happy to oblige your request. My GCSE results consisted of 16 A* grades as well as one A grade - a mistake which, after five years of letters and donations to OCR from my father Earl Goodman, is now also an A* grade. The subjects I took were English Language, English Literature, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Art, Latin, History, Greek, Classical Studies, Egyptology, Mandarin Chinese, French, German and Media Studies. I do hope this helps you in your Oxbridge quest.
unamed
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was successful in that I proved to myself that I am 'too good' for them.

[yeah, I got rejected and I'm still sad.]
SmileyGurl13
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Addzter)
I'd me more than happy to oblige your request. My GCSE results consisted of 16 A* grades as well as one A grade - a mistake which, after five years of letters and donations to OCR from my father Earl Goodman, is now also an A* grade. The subjects I took were English Language, English Literature, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Art, Latin, History, Greek, Classical Studies, Egyptology, Mandarin Chinese, French, German and Media Studies. I do hope this helps you in your Oxbridge quest.
Lol you're hilarious ¬¬
alsgp21
Report 8 years ago
I applied to - and was accepted by - both Oxford and Cambridge (both unconditional and I did both degrees in the allotted three year time, finishing with first class honours. It cost me a bomb in train travel, but daddy says it was worth it for my education). Can you please put an extra option on your poll to reflect the applications of people like myself?
Surely you weren't able to apply to both??
alsgp21
Report 8 years ago
Aha I see now :P
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by alsgp21)
Surely you weren't able to apply to both??
Well considering I'm not a mere hopeful, Oxbridge-aspiring peasant, I'm not bound by the normal rules of application so yes: I was able to apply to both.
_BANKSY_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I applied to - and was accepted by - both Oxford and Cambridge (both unconditional and I did both degrees in the allotted three year time, finishing with first class honours. It cost me a bomb in train travel, but daddy says it was worth it for my education). Can you please put an extra option on your poll to reflect the applications of people like myself?
on you're profile it says your in sixth form.
doivid
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't know how you ever managed to get into Oxbridge. :rolleyes: It is well known that the Goodmans are at best a distant member of the royal family, and have only three country estates with a net worth putting them on par with successful conglomerates run by naive investment bankers. The new money should never have been allowed into Oxbridge.

Only 17 GCSEs? It is well known that the average applicant that gets accepted at both Oxford and Cambridge have up to 43 A* grades and 14 A grades at A level. You must have been interviewed by a tutor incredibly sympathetic to your situation.
unamed
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well considering I'm not a mere hopeful, Oxbridge-aspiring peasant, I'm not bound by the normal rules of application so yes: I was able to apply to both.
Did you use a TimeTurner?
samir12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You didn't apply to Havard?
3nTr0pY
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well I'm at Cambridge - it's good but it aint all that.

Exams are very soon and I'm in the biggest pile of excrement I have ever been in.
3nTr0pY
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by doivid)
I don't know how you ever managed to get into Oxbridge. :rolleyes: It is well known that the Goodmans are at best a distant member of the royal family, and have only three country estates with a net worth putting them on par with successful conglomerates run by naive investment bankers. The new money should never have been allowed into Oxbridge.

Only 17 GCSEs? It is well known that the average applicant that gets accepted at both Oxford and Cambridge have up to 43 A* grades and 14 A grades at A level. You must have been interviewed by a tutor incredibly sympathetic to your situation.
Actually, this isn't true. I got in with 11A*s, although that's possibly because I did multiple extra-curricular activities to make up for my academic failings. Ultimately, they're not looking at just grades. Just as long as you make the 10A* cut-off you should stand a chance of being accepted.
DJkG.1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Successful.

TSR's Oxbridge applicants will be much more successful in general than the overall pool of applicants. :p:
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by doivid)

I'm incredibly incesned. How dare you insinuate that my family is distant to the royal family? Distant in blood perhaps, but you'd be hard pushed to use the same word to describe our relationship with Her Royal Heiness if you'd have seen us at her last dinner party; I'll have you know that my collection of Latin poems brought her to tears.

And as for the subject of my GCSE grades: Yes, they may not be the best, but I'll have you know that grades aren't all that matters when it comes to applying to instututions with the grandeur of Oxford and Cambridge. Extra curricular activities, instrument grade levels, general intelligence, interview performance and the size of the bundle of £50 notes your father stuffs into the tutor's jacket pocket all have an impact on your application.
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by samir12)
You didn't apply to Havard?
Oh gosh no. I can't stand Americans, I'm afraid. Frightful excuses for humanity they are, no decourum whatsoever...
Elementric
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dam.p)
TSR will hardly be representative of the general population. What I mean is 50% on TSR may be successful but then it may still be only 5% of the general pool of applicants.
This, and the fact that people who were successful are far more likely to look at this thread and vote.
doivid
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 3nTr0pY)
Actually, this isn't true. I got in with 11A*s, although that's possibly because I did multiple extra-curricular activities to make up for my academic failings. Ultimately, they're not looking at just grades. Just as long as you make the 10A* cut-off you should stand a chance of being accepted.
Standards have obviously plummeted ever since my father, Duke Twiningham, obtained a place to read Oriental Studies at Oxford 30 years ago. I assume you had to make a sizeable donation in addition to your extra curricular activities for your offer?
_BANKSY_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm incredibly incesned. How dare you insinuate that my family is distant to the royal family? Distant in blood perhaps, but you'd be hard pushed to use the same word to describe our relationship with Her Royal Heiness if you'd have seen us at her last dinner party; I'll have you know that my collection of Latin poems brought her to tears.

And as for the subject of my GCSE grades: Yes, they may not be the best, but I'll have you know that grades aren't all that matters when it comes to applying to instututions with the grandeur of Oxford and Cambridge. Extra curricular activities, instrument grade levels, general intelligence, interview performance and the size of the bundle of £50 notes your father stuffs into the tutor's jacket pocket all have an impact on your application.

Bio:
Well I hate writing these things an awful lot so I won't ramble too much -.-

I've just started College and thought I'd join the student room after getting sick and tired of seeing it come up when I search for coursework help on Google and not being able to participate.

Academic Info:
High School 2004 - 2009

6th Form College 2009 - Present

See my sig for A Levels, GCSE results and whatnot.

You are a sad person.
doivid
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Since I have an audience with the Queen tomorrow, I will investigate your claims of supposed 'closeness' with Her Majesty. Ever since your Grandfather polluted the once noble blood of the Goodmans after marrying that American oil heiress your family has not held so much esteem in the aristocracy. Please inform me of the college that you have been accepted to, so both my friends and I can keep a wide berth.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1388)
79.59%
Leave (356)
20.41%

Watched Threads