Turn on thread page Beta

Britain the "Brain Drain" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Money doesn't pass entrance exams does it? The intelligent ones still get in but it stops lazy people getting in too and wasting taxpayers cash with the likes of ema.
    The rich getting richer is fine, but the poor are also getting richer so everybody wins. The poor are wealthier than they have been in history right now.

1. You would be surprised. You think a rich daddy somewhere has been honest enough not to pay his children's way through college, if his kid was dumb and didn't get the grades? Example : do you seriously think George Bush was intelligent enough to attend Harvard? He can't even speak proper English and was the head cheerleader during senior year of high school! You seriously think his daddy didn't pay the way to a degree? Anyone who does this is not going to blatantly advertise this, just think how much of an uproar it would cause!

2. Yes the poorer are richer now, but thats because what you are suggesting is not in place and because entrance requirements into Uni has become more lenient, especially under Labour government. This means that formally poor people are able to get jobs in places they wouldn't have been able to, because of their degrees. I am not against this and am all for it, but its down to the student to take advantage of the opportunity and make the most of it. If I was poor and had crap grades, I wouldn't do a 'quango' degree, I would use the current lax entrance requirements to get onto a relatively good degree and make a prosperous future for myself. lax entrance requirements have this scope. This is what people should be doing. The existence of "quango" degrees, as you state is evidence of the current lax university system and is something that needs to go.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to move to a former British colony.

ReputationRep:
    I shall probably work for my fathers company, when I get to CEO/Director status I shall then move to Monaco (parents own property there). I would love to leave the UK asap, but then I couldn't work in London.

ReputationRep:
    I think its about 200,000 people with high class degrees leave a year, I doubt that many come back in tbh

ReputationRep:
    Lol english in university can't possibly be done abroad ^_^.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    Lol english in university can't possibly be done abroad ^_^.

Unless its done in OZ, NZ or US and Canada. Or unless you are interested in learning about British or English culture (!) or history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    I shall probably work for my fathers company, when I get to CEO/Director status I shall then move to Monaco (parents own property there). I would love to leave the UK asap, but then I couldn't work in London.
    Wow! Sounds like you really are one of those "creme de la creme" hahahaaaaaaa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neelam1982)
    Wow! Sounds like you really are one of those "creme de la creme" hahahaaaaaaa
    Something tells me he isn't planning uni

ReputationRep:
    I left the UK in 2008 after gaining my master's and do not plan to return.
    The reason I left was because after job hunting for 5 months (March-August; so starting to job hunt before my master's had finished) I was not able to find ANYTHING, despite two good degrees and work experience in a variety of sectors. I also made every effort to find work (applying for tens of jobs online every day, making speculative applications, applying for jobs via the Jobcentre, and attending multiple CV workshops to make sure I was doing the right thing on paper). I had one or two interviews for mediocre secretarial jobs but that was all and frankly I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some return on the investment of a master's degree (even if you have to start on a lower rung of a career that interests you).
    However, when I left the UK for France, I was offered graduate employment IMMEDIATELY on both of the occasions that I have been looking.
    Plus, if I ever did want to do a doctorate here it would cost probably only about 10% of what it would be in the UK to do one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    The reason I left was because after job hunting for 5 months (March-August; so starting to job hunt before my master's had finished) I was not able to find ANYTHING, despite two good degrees and work experience in a variety of sectors. I also made every effort to find work (applying for tens of jobs online every day, making speculative applications, applying for jobs via the Jobcentre, and attending multiple CV workshops to make sure I was doing the right thing on paper). I had one or two interviews for mediocre secretarial jobs but that was all and frankly I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some return on the investment of a master's degree (even if you have to start on a lower rung of a career that interests you).
    However, when I left the UK for France, I was offered graduate employment IMMEDIATELY on both of the occasions that I have been looking.
    Plus, if I ever did want to do a doctorate here it would cost probably only about 10% of what it would be in the UK to do one.
    One of the things i'm interested is when individuals travel abroad for jobs do they have to speak the language of that country. e.g. a British citizen just got his degree and moves to france to do a masters or gets a job there would he need to be able to speak french. Ofcourse the solution would be to go NZ,Canada or any other primarily English speaking Country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neelam1982)
    I have come across a lot of students here and I know a lot of people (including myself!) who plan to leave the UK after studies. If you plan to go overseas, why, where and for how long? Would you consider moving back to the UK, or will your move be permanent? How desperately do you want to leave? Why is the UK such a "Brain Drain"? Being right next door to a 'superpower', Canada is also considered a "Brain Drain" state. I think Canada's reasons are quite obvious.
    Im thinking of shifting to the US in the long term, but I'm likely to be here for the next few years. And no, I wouldn't ever come back, I don't want to raise a family here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    One of the things i'm interested is when individuals travel abroad for jobs do they have to speak the language of that country. e.g. a British citizen just got his degree and moves to france to do a masters or gets a job there would he need to be able to speak french. Ofcourse the solution would be to go NZ,Canada or any other primarily English speaking Country.
    I already spoke reasonable French before I moved here; I would not recommend coming here without a respectable level of French (unless being treated like scum is a hobby of yours; although they seem to do it to basically anyone foreign regardless of how good their French is). Not least because it's culturally ignorant not to speak the language of the country where you plan to live, but obviously on a practical level it wouldn't be helpful to not speak the language either.

ReputationRep:
    I already spoke reasonable French before I moved here; I would not recommend coming here without a respectable level of French (unless being treated like scum is a hobby of yours; although they seem to do it to basically anyone foreign regardless of how good their French is). Not least because it's culturally ignorant not to speak the language of the country where you plan to live, but obviously on a practical level it wouldn't be helpful to not speak the language either.
    Thank you for the response.
    However that means I need to learn how to speak French/Spanish/Russian and arabic since im planning to move around a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go abroad because I want to travel, because science is stronger abroad...and in areas like politics (may join one day) there is some tiny amount of women, and when any of them protest at how the number in the cabinet is really not enough (compared to 53% for Spain) everyone responds with "dirty feminist", "they're not good enough then" or "maybe they want to bring up children". Ffs. I for one, can't stand children and would prefer to be throwing shoes around in Parliament.

ReputationRep:
    WOW! You know what, I know the feeling. I have returned to complete my degree last year and I am 28 years old, so i'm considered a 'mature' student and before I decided to go back to University, I tried looking for work. Just like you, I used the Jobcentre and their own recruitment agencies etc - nothing! I have worked for many 'blue chip multinational' companies, major Hollywood film studios and the BBC. Apart from the US, I have worked in Canada and I have experience in the finance, media/film and telecommunications sectors. Even with all this experience, after looking for work for more then a year, I decided to go back to University and quit looking. I couldn't even get a job manning a hotel reception desk. I don't know whats going on, but something is. I think your story is one good thing that has come out of the EU for UK Citizens, and thats most probably because EU countries have a more prosperous job market then UK - probably because the UK has to deal with the influx of citizens from those very same EU countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    I'd go abroad because I want to travel, because science is stronger abroad...and in areas like politics (may join one day) there is some tiny amount of women, and when any of them protest at how the number in the cabinet is really not enough (compared to 53% for Spain) everyone responds with "dirty feminist", "they're not good enough then" or "maybe they want to bring up children". Ffs. I for one, can't stand children and would prefer to be throwing shoes around in Parliament.

Yeah! Good for you! You go girl! We need more women in power :woo:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.