Predictions For Tomorrow's Unit 1 Exam Watch

abrarda1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Diaz89)
UMS either 91 or 94 when I done it
nice! I need to do well tomorrow. butt its quite difficult marking your own answers in past papers. :Z according to my marking. Im averaging 85/100 which is 100 UMS? how were you doing with past papers?
Diaz89
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by abrarda1)
nice! I need to do well tomorrow. butt its quite difficult marking your own answers in past papers. :Z according to my marking. Im averaging 85/100 which is 100 UMS? how were you doing with past papers?
To be honest I didn't do past papers because they always scared me when I didn't know the answer to a certain question and it made me go into panic mode which ruined my revision concentration. Basically what I did was to memorize texts for all the topics (tedious I know) so then when the questions come up I can pick and choose which ones I remmeber most and will be able to answer best instead of gambling that one or two section might come ( i did the old spec)

Before going into the exam and while the papers are being handed out, I develop a mental plan as to how much I'm going to write, the amount of key terms I'll use and generally my style of writing as in having a debate within the answer like- "such and such argues.....because this leads to......where as such and such dispute this.......because they believe......
abrarda1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
To be honest I didn't do past papers because they always scared me when I didn't know the answer to a certain question and it made me go into panic mode which ruined my revision concentration. Basically what I did was to memorize texts for all the topics (tedious I know) so then when the questions come up I can pick and choose which ones I remmeber most and will be able to answer best instead of gambling that one or two section might come ( i did the old spec)

Before going into the exam and while the papers are being handed out, I develop a mental plan as to how much I'm going to write, the amount of key terms I'll use and generally my style of writing as in having a debate within the answer like- "such and such argues.....because this leads to......where as such and such dispute this.......because they believe......
Oh crap. I have basically spent most my time learning democracy and pressure groups really well. Im decent at Electoral systems but I dont know anything about political parties:O I done every single past paper i could find today and well there were a few questions that got me but It wasnt tooo bad. what dya reckon. Should i learn political parties now and i got a couple hours tommorow morning... or i go over the things i do know..and make sure i know them really well for the exam...:confused:
Diaz89
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh crap. I have basically spent most my time learning democracy and pressure groups really well. Im decent at Electoral systems but I dont know anything about political parties:O I done every single past paper i could find today and well there were a few questions that got me but It wasnt tooo bad. what dya reckon. Should i learn political parties now and i got a couple hours tommorow morning... or i go over the things i do know..and make sure i know them really well for the exam...:confused:
I was in the same position as you (for sociology) and thought I learnt everything until I found that I forgot a few things to go over. I did an allnighter and went over it and suprise,suprise it came up.

But I don't know if it'll be the same as it is in your case. I suggest you make some brief notes so as you can assure yourself that you do know some stuff about political parties because who knows, the examiners might think in light of the recent election, they'll test student's knowledge of the main parties? You clearly said that you've learnt the other topics really so well so just spend a little time revising the others.

I suggest you also look/ask about what came up on the January exam paper because maybe then, they might've had questions about political parties and they won't repeat them again in the Summer exams.
abrarda1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was in the same position as you (for sociology) and thought I learnt everything until I found that I forgot a few things to go over. I did an allnighter and went over it and suprise,suprise it came up.

But I don't know if it'll be the same as it is in your case. I suggest you make some brief notes so as you can assure yourself that you do know some stuff about political parties because who knows, the examiners might think in light of the recent election, they'll test student's knowledge of the main parties? You clearly said that you've learnt the other topics really so well so just spend a little time revising the others.

I suggest you also look/ask about what came up on the January exam paper because maybe then, they might've had questions about political parties and they won't repeat them again in the Summer exams.
hmmm. yeah I'm going to get to it then.:eek: hopefully in about 3/4 hours time it wont look so bad. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow :p:
Diaz89
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hmmm. yeah I'm going to get to it then.:eek: hopefully in about 3/4 hours time it wont look so bad. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow :p:
Cool, I hope it goes well, good luck.
m2dab
Report 8 years ago
guys seriously, learning 3/4 topics in this exam is just pointless, 2 is definitely all you need, if you just spend your time that would have spent revising the 3rd topic revising the other 2 theres nothing that can come up that will surprise you.
I did this exam in January after as a practice and only revised like the night before and got 76/100 UMS this time ive been revising solidly all week (+ revision lessons before) and im pretty sure theres nothing that could come up in pressure groups or Democracy that would throw me. They just say do it as a precaution but its not worth it.
jhines
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hung parliaments? i know the exam papers were written way before the current situation, but hung parliament seems as if it's been coming for a while.
Delight :)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have a problem with political parties too..(New Labour/Old Labour/Conservatism/Thatcherism/One Nation..'
My only problem now is writing it, I have started and was wandering if anyone had a tips on how to answer
Ellie Roberts
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
i think they're low because it's a new spec etc, apparently they're supposed to get higher though this year.. I'm praying not too much!
Pingumonkeys
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Not true, the papers were written several years ago.
abrarda1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cool, I hope it goes well, good luck.
Ye so i think i can talk about the exam now. Well yeah turns out I still stuck to the two topics i revised most for. Getting in done in time was quite difficult but overall. I think it went alright
Diaz89
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ye so i think i can talk about the exam now. Well yeah turns out I still stuck to the two topics i revised most for. Getting in done in time was quite difficult but overall. I think it went alright
Oh cool, excellent then dude, yeah I had trouble with sticking to the time also, the 5 and 15 mark questions always held me up. But I hope everything goes well for your next exam.
abrarda1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh cool, excellent then dude, yeah I had trouble with sticking to the time also, the 5 and 15 mark questions always held me up. But I hope everything goes well for your next exam.
cheers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1620)
79.14%
Leave (427)
20.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise