The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well, that completely changes everything (sigh). Can you please make sure you post sufficient context in future? It was impossible to answer your question properly given what you originally posted.

For Q2(a), note that L(Pn,f)1n1nf(kn)R(Pn,f)\displaystyle L(P_n, f) \leq \frac{1}{n}\sum_1^n f(\frac{k}{n}) \leq R(P_n, f), and the result follows.

I have to say, I don't understand how you can have answered Q1 correctly and not been able to do Q2, but still...
Reply 21
DFranklin
Well, that completely changes everything (sigh). Can you please make sure you post sufficient context in future? It was impossible to answer your question properly given what you originally posted.

For Q2(a), note that L(Pn,f)1n1nf(kn)R(Pn,f)\displaystyle L(P_n, f) \leq \frac{1}{n}\sum_1^n f(\frac{k}{n}) \leq R(P_n, f), and the result follows.

I have to say, I don't understand how you can have answered Q1 correctly and not been able to do Q2, but still...

How do you know that L(Pn,f)1nk=1nf(kn)U(Pn,f)\displaystyle L(P_n, f) \leq \frac{1}{n}\sum_{k=1}^{n} f(\frac{k}{n}) \leq U(P_n, f) ?

By this inequality:
limnL(Pn,f)limn1nk=1nf(kn)limnU(Pn,f)\displaystyle\displaystyle\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}L(P_n, f) \leq \displaystyle\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k=1}^{n} f(\frac{k}{n}) \leq \displaystyle\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}U(P_n, f)

If limnL(Pn,f)=limnU(Pn,f)\displaystyle\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}L(P_n,f)=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}U(P_n,f) then limnL(Pn,f)=limn1nk=1nf(kn)=limnU(Pn,f)\displaystyle\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}L(P_n,f)=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k=1}^{n} f(\frac{k}{n})=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}U(P_n,f) . So by the result from Q1, 01f=limn1nk=1nf(kn)\displaystyle\int_0^1 f=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k=1}^{n} f(\frac{k}{n})
By the definitions of sup and inf, basically.
Reply 23
DFranklin
By the definitions of sup and inf, basically.

For 2(b) I don't have such an inequality to go by as there is no answer printed in the question so how do I find a formulae for [a,b]->R instead of [0,1]->R?
I would define g:[0,1]->R by g(x) = f(a+x(b-a)).
Reply 25
DFranklin
I would define g:[0,1]->R by g(x) = f(a+x(b-a)).

If you let Pn={a,b,2ba,3b2a,,nb+a(1n)}P_n=\{a,b,2b-a,3b-2a,\cdots,nb+a(1-n)\}

then mj+1mj=bam_{j+1}-m_j=b-a

If we define g:[0,1]Rg:[0,1]\rightarrow\mathbb{R} by g(x)=f(a+x(ba))g(x)=f(a+x(b-a))

Working out L(Pn,g)L(P_n,g)

m0=inf{f(a+x(ba)):axb}m_0=\text{inf}\{f(a+x(b-a)):a\leq x \leq b\}
m1=inf{f(a+x(ba)):bx2ba}m_1=\text{inf}\{f(a+x(b-a)):b\leq x \leq 2b-a\}

Surely I have to calculate these this time to find a formulae? But what are these equal to?
It's no different from what you did before.

I give up. This is basically me doing the question for you, without even having the full question in front of me, or knowing what your course has told you can be assumed.
Reply 27
DFranklin
It's no different from what you did before.

I give up. This is basically me doing the question for you, without even having the full question in front of me, or knowing what your course has told you can be assumed.

I should have been dividing by n in my last post.

Anyway, would limnbank=1nf(a+k(ba)n)\displaystyle\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\frac{b-a}{n}\sum_{k=1}^{n} f\left(a+\frac{k(b-a)}{n}\right) be the formula?

Latest