Racist Parents Watch

yawn
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DystantMind)
I hate racism, and the idea of England being 'our country' because we were born in it, and being extremely proud of being English. I'm not saying being English is something to be ashamed of (although the public image a lot of small-minded English/British people have created for the people of Britain would sometimes make me feel ashamed), I just mean that I don't believe in patriotism as I don't think people are defined by the country they are born in.

But straight to the point. I'm English and I come from and English family (big wow). My parents seem to think that they have somehow earned their right to live in this country because they were born in it and that everyone should just '**** off home', for example, Pakistanis (although they use a more vulgar term to name them) or any other non-english born and bred people. My dad is an active BNP supporter and until recently I discovered my mum shared his same shallow views.

My brother and sister have both moved away from home and so it's just me and my parents. I don't see any escape from their stupid views and I can't actively defy them (unless I don't want an easy life of course). They aren't particularly nasty people but they can have their spiteful moments. It's not like they talk about it all the time, but they still like to refer to foreigners using racist terms. I think they are both really shallow people and I don't agree with them, but they are my parents so what am I supposed to do? My dad is an idiot, who claims this is 'his country', although he's lived in the same ******** town all his life and he is unemployed and has never done anything really good in his life. Perhaps he has nothing else in his life and sees 'his' country as the last thing he can cling on to that he regards to be truly his. I think it's really sad, but he doesn't really like his children to go agaisn't his views so I'll bite my tongue until I leave them and their facism behind.

Your opinions on this? What should I do? If anyone knew my parents were racist BNP supporters then I don't know what I'd do. They'd easily think I shared the same views...
I would not ignore their racist rantings. I would call them to account and ask them to justify in a rational manner the reasons for their views...and then ask them for the courtesy of listening to you whilst you point out to them, the irrationality of each and every reason. I told my dad once that I failed to see how he could call himself a Christian when he supported the Tory party!

I don't expect that you will change their views, but at least you will have challenged them and maybe have made them pause before they assume that you agree with all they say in the future.

You really need to confront them every single time they utter a racist sentiment...most racists have no comprehension that they are racists because...well...because they're thick. You will be doing them a favour in the long run if you cause them to engage their brains.

Edit: Remind your dad that he might have been born in England but his genetic make-up comes from the Iberian Pennisula (unless he's black, brown or yellow skinned)...there were no indigenous English until mass immigration from Spain many eons ago.
yawn
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
My parents were both extremely racist and so am I.

I like nazi regalia and wear SS collar tabs and cuff titles on my leather jacket and have Afrika Korp themed paintings on my motorcycle. I'm hoping my children will follow my example - reassuringly they're already learning not to play with black or hispanic kids and have a basic understanding about the dangers of Jews.
With the exception of your first sentence maybe, the rest is lies...ya little liar ya, Howie.

Did you ever confront your father over his racist views, Howie? I can't see you letting things like racism go over your head. You're far too principled.
Time Tourist
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You are ashamed OP, you are ashamed of what and what you are.
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

My brother and sister have both moved away from home and so it's just me and my parents. I don't see any escape from their stupid views and I can't actively defy them (unless I don't want an easy life of course).

Your opinions on this? What should I do? If anyone knew my parents were racist BNP supporters then I don't know what I'd do. They'd easily think I shared the same views...
You lack the courage of your convictions and as such are about as much use as a split condom
Giggsy's Girl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I know how it feels OP. My parents definitely sympathise with the BNP but I think it stems from ignorance rather than any true malice/racism. Some people are just set in their ways.
Phantom_X
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Time Tourist)
You are ashamed OP, you are ashamed of what and what you are.
Yeah, I mean refusing to judge someone by the colour of their skin makes you a white apologist/ashamed.

gb2 stormfront, failgash
Phantom_X
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
OP there will be little you can do. You could try introduce them to an ethnic friend maybe ? My mates parents were quite racist until they met me so....
other than that ignorance tends to be hard to destroy.
IndigenousEuropean
Report 8 years ago
[FONT="Arial"][/FONT]I hate racism, and the idea of England being 'our country' because we were born in it, and being extremely proud of being English. I'm not saying being English is something to be ashamed of (although the public image a lot of small-minded English/British people have created for the people of Britain would sometimes make me feel ashamed), I just mean that I don't believe in patriotism as I don't think people are defined by the country they are born in.

But straight to the point. I'm English and I come from and English family (big wow). My parents seem to think that they have somehow earned their right to live in this country because they were born in it and that everyone should just '**** off home', for example, Pakistanis (although they use a more vulgar term to name them) or any other non-english born and bred people. My dad is an active BNP supporter and until recently I discovered my mum shared his same shallow views.

My brother and sister have both moved away from home and so it's just me and my parents. I don't see any escape from their stupid views and I can't actively defy them (unless I don't want an easy life of course). They aren't particularly nasty people but they can have their spiteful moments. It's not like they talk about it all the time, but they still like to refer to foreigners using racist terms. I think they are both really shallow people and I don't agree with them, but they are my parents so what am I supposed to do? My dad is an idiot, who claims this is 'his country', although he's lived in the same ******** town all his life and he is unemployed and has never done anything really good in his life. Perhaps he has nothing else in his life and sees 'his' country as the last thing he can cling on to that he regards to be truly his. I think it's really sad, but he doesn't really like his children to go agaisn't his views so I'll bite my tongue until I leave them and their facism behind.

Your entitled to 'not being proud of being English' and your entitled to hate the idea of this being 'our country'.

However it is just your opinion, respect the opinions of people like myself who are indeed proud of our nationality, culture, common values, society etc.
And I would like to add that I am from Scotland, Scotland IS my country. I am an indigenous Scot and Scotland is my identity and my ancestral homeland.
What people like yourself fail to realize is that a country is not just a lump of earth (as many of you described it) it is the society that is built on that lump of earth that makes it a country.
I love my society, I love my culture, I love my fellow Scots. Having worked in ********* like the middle east and having visited Muslims countries and African countrieS. I can comfortably say that I prefer scots over them, I prefer europeans over them.
Go to Saudi Arabia, South Africa etc. as I have and I can say that you wll change your disdain for people being proud of their culture, and countries.

I would like to add that my political leanings are to the left and I am moderatly a liberal, before you start throwing around the R word.
CandyFlipper
Report 8 years ago
You gave the answer to your parents racism already when you said your dads been unemployed and feels like hes not achieved much in his life. I'd say quite often its unsuccessful people that support the BNP because immigrants are a nice scapegoat and a good excuse for failings. Unsuccessful people seem to meet up and just keep telling eachother this until they actually believe it, seemingly oblivious to the fact that hard-working British people don't seem to be losing their jobs to immigrants constantly.

p.s. For those that say they love our culture compared to other places, I actually agree with them personally. I love western culture, but thats BECAUSE our culture is about being free and tolerant and understanding etc. Thats what seperates us to many other countries. But that should have nothing to do with hating blacks or asians, indeed the goodness of our culture is that we don't, and its these BNP imbeciles that would actually make us the type of country that I'm not proud of at all anymore, ironically.
xxHarrietxx24
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Personally I think your parents have the right view....
Either way - just tell them how you feel about it. If it is only in the house that they express these views then not sure if it really affects you.

Wanting to leave home because of it is very drastic though.
FroKane
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
they are just old fashioned, take thier views with a grain of salt and dont let it bother you too much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.68%
No (216)
94.32%

Watched Threads