Turn on thread page Beta

What don't young people go to the theatre?? watch

ReputationRep:
    I love the theatre, it's quite expensive but worth saving up for, particularly musicals. I've been to see The Lion King and my all-time favourite Wicked on the West End, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat on tour, going to see Sound Of Music on Tuesday on tour with Connie Fisher and I've seen Mamma Mia! on Broadway. I adore the theatre, but that may be because I'm so heavily involved in it myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schwurlie)
    It depends on how you were brought up. My parents took me to the theatre a lot when I was younger, and I still go today (although haven't been in a while admittedly!). I also had a friend that I went with sometimes whose dad played in the Sydney Orchestra, and a couple of my friends also had parents that took them to see plays etc. so they still go today. If your parents introduce you to theatre, you'll probably be more willing to go when you're older! Otherwise, it's just not something a lot of people even consider seeing as it's not really advertised in the same way as films are. So basically... you're either aware of the option or you're not. With things like films etc. being made all the time, it's not surprising that most people don't even think about it.
    I think you've got a point - although my parents never took me to the theatre, I got into it on my own, through friends who took me to terrific plays and made me love the theatre.

ReputationRep:
    Money and effort. Sure, I can scour the listings or wander around the west end looking for anything even vaguely affordable but they are hard to find. Even at discounted prices tickets are often £30/40.

I am supposed to be going to see Twelfth Night for £8 pretty soon but the only reason is because my English teacher told me about it, theatres aren't exactly going out of their way. Besides, why should young people go? Why don't you go to see monster truck racing or cage fighting? Different people like different things and theatre shouldn't be put up on a pedistal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciawhobat)
    because it's crap
    ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah? ah yeah?

ReputationRep:
    I love the theatre but it's lot of booking hassle. Most of the free-ticket schemes can't be sorted out online, you have to spend hours on the phone. I waste two hours ringing A Night Less Ordinary to get two free tickets to The Caretaker. And sure, the seats were free (face value £45 each) but if I weren't studying it for exams this year, I would've given up.

Even when you do book online, you usually have to book several weeks again. It's just a lot of HASSLE.

ReputationRep:
    I love the theatre. It's the best form of entertainment and anybody who says otherwise obviously hasn't seen the right show.

I think of myself as a 'young person' and I really enjoy going to the theatre (I am gay though :p: ). Despite being fairly expensive, it's well worth the money. The amount of ***** films I've seen at the cinema recently (Hot Tub Time Machine, Dear John etc) would have been better off saved and spent on a show.

For anybody who is looking to go to the theatre in London I would recommend Billy Elliot and Blood Brothers. Stay clear of Oliver and The Lion King.

ReputationRep:
    I think musicals are good? Such as: Oliver, Blood Brothers, Phantom of the Opera...etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchGal)
    I was wondering about that... apart from the obvious, which is the price, why do you think young people don't go to the theatre a lot, apart when going with school?
    girls always pretend like they really want to go, when i say i want to go to the theatre

but none of them ever mean it

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the theatre - having done both stage work and filmed work (amateur, mind you) I have a lot more respect for stage actors and playwrights.

However, I think the theatre can be a bit too inactive and cerebral for a lot of young people - everything is on a plate in front of you in a cinema, and you get realistic special effects where a theatre would either have realistic sets for normal life, or symbolism for more fantastic elements. Especially really challenging pieces à la Brecht or Beckett - neither of those would be appealing to those who weren't really into literature or theatre in an academic sense. Musicals are one of the few things with a universal appeal, and they're even more expensive owing to massive production budgets.

It's sad, but true. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Well, obviously price, but also there aren't exactly theatres in every village/town - if I'm going to spend that much on an evening, I'll want to go to London and do it properly - maybe even with dinner or something to make a proper evening out of it. Getting to London's not going to be cheap and is going to take a while - whereas I can go to my friend's 5 minutes away, watch a film for free and go back home again.

Also, compared to getting cinema tickets it's quite complex - you can go on the odeon website, see what's in your nearest cinemas, what times, etc, and just turn up. With the theatre, good shows can sell out weeks/months in advance, so you'd have to be really organised and plan - which makes it a 'big deal.' And you tend to do things you see as a big deal/really exciting less - even if I lived in the west end or something, I'd probably still associate the theatre as being a really unusual night out, and want to make it into a proper evening, say going for dinner, etc...

ReputationRep:
    The under 26's go free scheme means me, my best friend, and a couple of guys go at least once a week It's brilliant we get to get dressed up, and the only costs are the petrol and the £1.50 for a drink when we're there x

ReputationRep:
    I've pondered this myself at various times and I've come up with the following:

1) Price
    2) Accessability (many theatres being in town centres and regular public transport back home being not available to many)
    3) Content of what's on
    4) Lack of "outreach" activities targeting where people actually are or go to on a regular basis. (When did you last see people advertising a theatre show at a supermarket?)
    5) Elitism/cliques within the performing arts. (Stage school brats - you know who you are!!!)
    6) Competition from other forms of entertainment
    7) Many theatres were built ages ago and may not be "fit for purpose" for attracting a younger audience. (http://www.komedia.co.uk/brighton/ is an exception as (certainly when I lived down there almost 10 years ago) it combined bar, restaurant, internet cafe, cabaret club and theatre all in one, and it is still incredibly popular)
    8) The way threatres and performances are marketed

ReputationRep:
    i was always brought up going to see shows, and i've always been involved in amateur theatre/singing/dance groups, but it's only recently that i've realised HOW MUCH i love it, and now i can't even count the amount of shows i go to a year, i can't get enough!

usually i go with my bro, cos we have similar interests and, having seen far too many shows, we always have discussions about actors we've seen before and seeing again/ what was wrong (if anything) with the show etc etc. but recently i did take 4 of my friends to the west end for my birthday.. must say most of them were very unsure about it to begin with, but by the end of the show they had the biggest smile on their faces, and i was so pleased i had introduced them to theatre, seeing as most of them had never seen a proper production!!

i don't think price is an issue. because i go so often, i've had to find ways to cut down on costs (especially west end!!). yes, there are discount tickets you can get (often last minute) which reduce the price to about 30 pounds.. but if you want a real bargain, i got into Love Never Dies (phantom of the opera sequel) the other week for something like 15 pounds on restricted view seats! yes, there was a corner of the stage i couldn't see, but that didn't really matter, and anyway, there were some other seats that were unoccupied, so moved there, and ended up sitting in the second row dress circle in FULL PRICE seats !! was brilliant!!

anyone have any other questions just PM me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougieG)
    Well a lot of theatres, especially in London, offer cheap tickets for students so there's no excuse. I guess a lot of young people are either anti-intellectual or can't be bothered when they can watch something on the TV at home or play computer games. It's a shame because the theatre is the superior medium - you can never communicate art through a screen in quite the way you can face-to-face. It's the difference between looking at art on the internet and going to a gallery to see the real thing. I guess a lot of people either don't care or don't see the difference.

That said, things like Andrew Lloyd-Webber's musical x-factor things have got some interest going and people have always enjoyed going to see musicals. The National Theatre is also doing better than ever before. So I'd challenge your assumption that the vast majority of young people don't want to go.
    It could the pretentious bumwipes who frequent theatres.

ReputationRep:
    Tend to just go whenever something good comes around at Birmingham Hippodrome. Not exactly cheap with tickets at about £23 minimum, rising to £40-£50. Got prime seats for Les Miserables but settled for the cheapest for The Sound of Music and Joseph at the same venue later this year. Don't often go to the Christmas panto's but did last year as I was given some freebies.

It's really worth the money though. Guess it's a question of personal taste in the shows that are usually on.

Also seen Legally Blonde in London this year with my girlfriend; seen Lion King and Stomp there too a few years back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    Really? Would you refuse to go to a football match simply because some fans are violent? So why would you refuse to go to the theatre because you think some people are pretentious?

ReputationRep:
    That's just such a ridiculous generalisation lol, there's no more annoying people than there is at any other public gathering!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougieG)
    Really? Would you refuse to go to a football match simply because some fans are violent? So why would you refuse to go to the theatre because you think some people are pretentious?
    No to both. Though I don't go to football. However the question was why don't young people go to the theatre - the severe amount of pomposity that surrounds it probably contributes to a negative image of it.

ReputationRep:
    No to both. Though I don't go to football. However the question was why don't young people go to the theatre - the severe amount of pomposity that surrounds it probably contributes to a negative image of it.
    How exactly do you mean 'pomposity'?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MDEH8176)
    I think of myself as a 'young person' and I really enjoy going to the theatre (I am gay though :p: ).
    How does that make a difference? :confused: I enjoy going to the theatre and I'm heterosexual.

To answer the question - it's because it's perceived to be 'posh' and often quite expensive (though student theatre here is very cheap and well worth making the effort to see :yep:).

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.