Turn on thread page Beta

Controlling boyfriend issues. watch

ReputationRep:
    sounds like a douche. i'd get rid

(Original post by Anonymous)
    i get this ALL the time..then its like "oo you never listen to me"
    there's a difference between listening to someones opionion and doing as they tell you..
    ahhh we're gonna be over soon anyways so i don't have to put up with it for much longer.. only reason i haven't done it right away is because its too stressfull while im going through my exams
    Oh dearr, good luck with that!

ReputationRep:
    Do you ever think about the future with him and think, "He won't be so controlling all the time" or "I love him so much, if only he weren't so controlling".

People like this will never change unless they make that choice, the greater the hold he has on you the worse it's going to get. It's your friend's 18th ffs, don't let him manipulate you and decide your life for you.

Just make sure you can spot what the patterns are in a controlling person when thinking about your next relationships and gtfo if you have any doubts.

ReputationRep:
    Anon please, in case he sees it

I actually can't believe how controlling my boyfriend is.
    He won't 'let me' do anything
    Examples: Wont let me go to my friends 18th which is a jacuzzi party because I will be in a bikini.
    Wont let me go skydiving with a friend because I will be 'strapped with some guy on my back' and it will be 'less time seeing him' (it is a day course - and a life ambition)
    & hardly ever lets me out clubbing with friends

I find it ironic because he has cheated on me (kissed another girl) but I have always been faithful.

Am I overreacting/being unfair in telling him that he is stopping me to live my life properly?

Advice please!
    Oh and everything else in the relationship is pretty good, it has been going for four years... but that whole time he has been way too overprotective of me.

You need to sit down and have a serious talk with him. His behaviour is not acceptable. You're not asking to become a stripper and start walking the streets! You're just being young and having fun with your mates. He clearly has a lot of trust issues which convert into overprotectiveness. I was once with someone who was very overprotective and would get jealous if he even saw me look at another guy in the street. It turned out he was cheating on me and was only being so suspicious because he was the one being unfaithful and probably expected the same from me.

If he's not willing you listen to you and change his attitude you can either stick with him and constantly not be allowed to live your own life or decide to end it.

ReputationRep:
    Anon please, in case he sees it

I actually can't believe how controlling my boyfriend is.
    He won't 'let me' do anything
    Examples: Wont let me go to my friends 18th which is a jacuzzi party because I will be in a bikini.
    Wont let me go skydiving with a friend because I will be 'strapped with some guy on my back' and it will be 'less time seeing him' (it is a day course - and a life ambition)
    & hardly ever lets me out clubbing with friends

I find it ironic because he has cheated on me (kissed another girl) but I have always been faithful.

Am I overreacting/being unfair in telling him that he is stopping me to live my life properly?

Advice please!
    Oh and everything else in the relationship is pretty good, it has been going for four years... but that whole time he has been way too overprotective of me.
    Well I kind of see why. Think about the places you are going to.
    Bikini party, clubbing.
    lol

You're a hilarious being.

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling, though my boyfriend is nowhere near as controlling.
    Once after we'd argued about it I wrote him a letter telling him that when he gets like that it really actually hurts me because I don't see any reason why he would worry.
    When he realised that he actually upsets me by doing it he agreed that he would try to change.
    Insecurity is impossible to reason with, he and I both know that his insecurity is completely irrational but he can't help feeling it.
    At least now he's trying
    Tell him in a way that will get through to him that his over-protectiveness is upsetting you and that it could push you away, because I'm sure that's the last thing he wants to do. Realising this might help him change.

ReputationRep:
    Can you get him to change is the question. If not then perhaps you should consider telling him to do one.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.