Turn on thread page Beta

A guy tried to scam me on eBay...so I responded watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's lovely that you want to improve his grammar but I think if you are going to send him an email under the impression that you're English and have perfect grammar then you should ensure everything is correct. He might pick up your bad habits and think they're correct.

I'm not professing to be Mr. Grammar myself, just it defeats part of the point of the email if you're going to make grammatical mistakes throughout.

For example...
    "how hard is it to use a dictionary?? at least find a word that exists such as " unsent "
    Capital letters are required after question marks.

Anyways
    Since when was 'anyways' a word? How hard is it to use a dictionary?

what I was saying, You should really study what I have edited
    Again, watch those capital letters.

ReputationRep:
    Naw.... You should twist it to scam the scammers... I've managed it before see: http://www.419eater.com/index.php

ReputationRep:
    You realise the scammer probably isn't going to read that, right?

ReputationRep:
    It's people like the OP who makes me feel unsafe on ebay and paypal. They try to outsmart the scammer but end up educating them, and when I receive a scam email properly proof read I'll know who to glare at...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Just report him and get ov with life

ReputationRep:
    I want these 30 seconds and the internet bandwidth I used to load this page back please.

Please send to

George Adgdgdaduwengo
    195 Moeknees Drive
    Uganda
    M0N13S

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, alright, maybe it wasn't the smartest thing to do...but it was incredibly funny! Good on you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SurveyingTheChaos)
    Yeah, alright, maybe it wasn't the smartest thing to do...but it was incredibly funny! Good on you
    thank you, that was all i wanted.

and also, as a matter of fact i'm not english (chinese ) but people should be smart enough to be able to recognise scammers like these even if they did use correct english. thats not the main thing that gives them away its the info they provide. ahh nvm ceebs arguing now so please dont quote me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saint)
    Hi your post was very funny and everything.
    But you need to understand that the scammer is not 'tryin to make a living' he is a criminal whose actions harm and effect many people, the people in Nigera who speak English (even to the poor standard you encountered) are the middle class, educated who chose to steal, con, lie and cheat innocent people out of money.
    The reason most of these scams come form Nigera is because they have a state in the culture where the ends (money) have become more important then the means of acheiving (hard work, jobs, education etc) and also (or maybe because of this) scammers in Nigera are sometime seen as sucessful business men and the stigma attached to this criminal ativity is very low. (sorry I can't remember the correct term for the sociolgical concept and if I didn't explain it very well then look at the 419 website).
    Sorry I just get so angry about the *******s who try to scam people by playing their faith and humanity.
    what the!!!! scammers in nigeria are NOT middle class! the fact they speak english doesn't mean they're middle class, everyone speaks english in nigeria, the poorer people to a lesser degree which is why you get poorly written scam emails. I'm not supporting scammers in any way, they are fools, but they are under no circumstances middle class. Middle class Nigerians are bankers, lawyers, businessmen, doctors, etc who you sometimes see on holiday with their family in the UK. Many upper middle class Nigerians send their kids to private schools in the UK, and believe me, scamming could not pay those school fees + regular flight tickets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maghreblover)
    what the!!!! scammers in nigeria are NOT middle class! the fact they speak english doesn't mean they're middle class, everyone speaks english in nigeria, the poorer people to a lesser degree which is why you get poorly written scam emails. I'm not supporting scammers in any way, they are fools, but they are under no circumstances middle class. Middle class Nigerians are bankers, lawyers, businessmen, doctors, etc who you sometimes see on holiday with their family in the UK. Many upper middle class Nigerians send their kids to private schools in the UK, and believe me, scamming could not pay those school fees + regular flight tickets.
    okay sorry, I got the infomation from when of the scam baiting websites.

ReputationRep:
    Well done for making it easier for him to scam someone else. :clap2:

ReputationRep:
    I approve

ReputationRep:
    I liked that you wanted to ridicule the idiot but then you went and educated them too?

There are so many people stupider than you that could be scammed and now you are making it easier for them to do so?

Btw 419eaters.com is an epic website. Leave scambaiting to the pros.

ReputationRep:
    Just browsed 419eaters.com. Hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meloncoly)
    You're irresponsible for educating the scammer so he's better prepared for future potential victims, those obvious mistakes will be warning signs to others - there are countless cases of this type of thing happening and a lot of it is from West Africa.

If you want to get involved in wasting their time check out 419eater.com which mainly focuses on baiting the "i've got millions of dollars to send you if you just pay the delivery/insurance/certificate fee"

http://www.419eater.com/html/RoadToChadDarfur/ <--this is how you mess with them
    The Chad Darfur one is crazy. I loved the one where they made the guy get a tattoo or write out a whole Harry Potter book.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 23, 2010
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.