AQA AS Unit 1 post exam discussion Watch

paxford1
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
i will also be taking, that went awful! as soon as i saw OS map i new it was going to be awful. never mind, just hope grade boundries are low, might actully have passed. population was by far the best though
Thomasmc135
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by paxford1)
i will also be taking, that went awful! as soon as i saw OS map i new it was going to be awful. never mind, just hope grade boundries are low, might actully have passed. population was by far the best though
Agreed
bigal122
Report 8 years ago
Well i found that pretty easy tbh, the questions weren't that hard, just the wording was a bit strange. The health 15 marker and the first part of rivers were the only hard parts i think. Hopefully at least 80...
annie.monk
Report 8 years ago
wording was a nightmare.

rivers: good
cold environments: good
population: good apart from 15 mark
health: disaster
toofaforu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i put so many labels on the diagram... like "increasing population" "stage 3" what does it mean?! WHICH labels? so vague. for malaysia i said it transitioned from stage 2 to 3. the 15 marker i wrote about old people needing stuff and young people needing different stuff....****
fishkeeper
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For the DTM question, I jut labelled everything- all stages (e.g. stage 2- early expanding etc) then the natural increase, BR/DR and then scales on the side...

I hated the Rivers topic, but the 15 marker was a good one!

Coasts- :'( i liked the questions but the 15 marker was dreadful. I wrote about the Essex Marshes, but not enough detail to get into level 3.

Population- what was the 15 marker about?!? I worte about optimum population, a youthful- malawi, ageing- UK then related Boserup and Malthus to them.

Food supply- the 15 marker came up in janurary!!! well almost the same. But I answered that in a mock and got 15 so Im pretty confident.

Overall an alright paper- but 60 marks for an A have I read?!? thats well good lol
BlueSheep32
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Rivers: That was the easiest question I did, although I died a little inside when I saw the "Things you will need: OS map provided as an insert".
Cold environments: Didn't really get what it meant about Antarctica's balance between protection and development, so I rambled on about fishing quotas, bans on mining & oil extraction and restrictions on tourism.
Population: The DTM question was brilliant, an easy 4 marks there I think. The 15-marker was horrendous. I saw the whole "population and resources balance" thing and thought "Malthus & Boserup! Yay! I spent ages revising them!". Then I read the bit about population structures. Went on about ageing & youthful populations.
Energy: Awful. What on earth did the 15-marker mean by "managing energy"? Rambled on about Iceland & Chad (?), and then added something about Iceland is sustainable blah blah blah.

The exam could have been worse, but it could have been a whole lot better.
alwaysanigel247
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by fishkeeper)
For the DTM question, I jut labelebed everything- all stages (e.g. stage 2- early expanding etc) then the natural increase, BR/DR and then scales on the side...

I hated the Rivers topic, but the 15 marker was a good one!

Coasts- :'( i liked the questions but the 15 marker was dreadful. I wrote about the Essex Marshes, but not enough detail to get into level 3.

Population- what was the 15 marker about?!? I worte about optimum population, a youthful- malawi, ageing- UK then related Boserup and Malthus to them.

Food supply- the 15 marker came up in janurary!!! well almost the same. But I answered that in a mock and got 14 so Im pretty confident.

Overall an alright paper- but 60 marks for an A have I read?!? thats well good lol

i did the exact same thing for the 15 mark population question! i really didn't understand it
Andy Ftw
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ahhh

After starting the Rivers section I thought this ain't exam ain't too bad but then when I saw the 15 markers for coasts/health & population they killed me =|

For coasts I hadn't studied a soft engineering only place so had to kind of blag about some vague place and made up some stuff so yeah...

As for the 15 mark for population I started off with dependency ratio briefly then went onto boserup/malthus and then to over/under population :confused: I really did not understand the question properly so yeah wasn't really sure what they were looking for....

And the health 15 marker. FML. I just had to make up some crap about my local town and I think I completely misunderstood the question anyways. "How does wealth, age and gender affect the provisions of health care". I had no idea what that meant so went on to talk about how everyone of all ages/wealth and genders have equal health care but I think I went down completely the wrong line.

Meh, apart from that it wasn't too bad but hey, hoping for some low boundries this year again..At least geography is out of the way now!
Diamond Matt
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That was the 3rd time I've done it and I felt it was the best/easier one of them all so far.

Thought the question on DTM was good (Although wasn't very clear on what to label? I marked the 5 stages and indicated what each line meant) and on the disease of affluence (Diabetes). Also like the one on soft engineering coastline - Sefton nr Liverpool.
I felt the grades will be higher for this one as I thought it was the best one so far, but hopefully if the comments on here are anything to go by they could be low again.
toofaforu
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
from those links, it cant like 60/120 for an A? that's absurd? can someone explain this please?
SmartFool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
made too many stupid mistakes! hopefully grade boundaries are extremely low!
jack1865
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kay :))
Yehh.
Did you have enough time then?
Yeah i had plenty of time, well about 5 mins to spare :P
jack1865
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by toofaforu)
from those links, it cant like 60/120 for an A? that's absurd? can someone explain this please?
Yes it is, and from reading this thread you can probably telly why! its very easy to write about something completely irrevelant to the question
SmartFool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
totally wrote about the wrong thing for the population 15 marker! aargh i hate this
toofaforu
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jack1865)
Yes it is, and from reading this thread you can probably telly why! its very easy to write about something completely irrevelant to the question
those are definitely not raw marks right?
greatmonte
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
well Just to make you guys feel better last year I did the exam and I thought it was the worst exam in my life I was literally gonna break down . Turns out the grade boundaries where only 55/120 (46%) for an A so I got a realy high A 90% :woop: so dont worry guys
jack1865
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by toofaforu)
those are definitely not raw marks right?
They ARE raw marks, and i dont think it'll be much higher this year, so dont panic
SmartFool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by greatmonte)
well Just to make you guys feel better last year I did the exam and I thought it was the worst exam in my life I was literally gonna break down . Turns out the grade boundaries where only 55/120 (46%) for an A so I got a realy high A 90% :woop: so dont worry guys
Did you proper mess up on any 15 markers?!, ive just realised i wrote about the completely wrong thing for 1 of them, im so worried
toofaforu
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jack1865)
They ARE raw marks, and i dont think it'll be much higher this year, so dont panic
what the actual F, we've been doing these mock papers in class (last years ones), i got 12/30, 20/30, 20/30 and like 23/30 = 75/120 = A?! my teacher told me it was a C. so confused right now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (863)
80.28%
Leave (212)
19.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise