Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookinglass)
    I'm hoping it wasn't necessary..
    What was the actual question word for word?
    I can't even remember now!
    the part a was;- explain and illustrate the difference between contingent and necessary truths
    part b was (at least something along these lines, very very similar)- 'without a predetermined conceptual scheme we would make no sense of our experiences' - discuss this view and explain the implications of this for empiricists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariamurray)
    aah I totally forgot to write about the fact that conceptual schemes can differ socially/culturally and through language (Von Humbolt, Davidson) was that ABSOLUTELY necessary?! I just really did kant vs empiricism, and the proof that we do have synthetic a priori knowledge - rendering locke's 'tabula rasa' incorrect (he doesn't account for the faculty to 'thread' experience)... then evaluation by ockham's razor. How many marks am I likely to lose for not mentioning other conceptual schemes?
    Nothing is necessary, if you provide relevant points and justify your arguments you should necessarily do fine! : P

ReputationRep:
    OH, thinking about it again, I doubt von humbolt and davidson were necessary - here it asks for the idea of a predetermined scheme - whereas they just actually advocate that the 'framework' differs culturally/socially - my assumption is that they are asking about conceptual schemes in the broader sense. something like kant's theory which can be applied universally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alim1312)
    Also think they like you to present a range on answers so also mentioned abit about language being a conceptual scheme. the grade boundries are normally very low for philosophy so there isnt much to worry about if you did well on every other question and do well on tuesday .
    Having done philosophy AQA AS: this is wrong. The grade boundaries are quite low, but the marking is ridiculously harsh. I wrote the best essay of my life for reason and experience. I got a low B. And no I'm not stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Oh God. I am the only one who never wrote anything about Kant.
    And the word for word question was: Without a predetermined conceptual scheme our sensory experiences would be unintelligable. Assess the implications of this for empiriscm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Signe_x)
    And the word for word question was: Without a predetermined conceptual scheme our sensory experiences would be unintelligable. Assess the implications of this for empiriscm.
    I wrote about Kant for both my part Bs. :woo:

Kant :love:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what the predetermined part ment? I just ignored it :x....taught about conceptual schemes for half a lesson :x

ReputationRep:
    predetermined is the 'a priori' (or theoretically the 'innate' faculty) of the scheme, which means it is universal for everyone- the fact everyone is able to have ordered experience and 'thread' memory (transcendental unity of apperception)

ReputationRep:
    You didn't necessarily have to talk about Kant, in the textbook thereis more reference to language than Kant. As long as you explained something im sure itll be fine, which conceptual scheme did you talk about?

ReputationRep:
    You didn't necessarily have to talk about Kant, in the textbook thereis more reference to language than Kant. As long as you explained something im sure itll be fine, which conceptual scheme did you talk about?
    I don't think mine were even relevant -__- i Did no revision on conceptual schemes so I just wrote about language and time (conceptual relativsm) and how it isn't predetermined or something like that. It made no sense. Eugh. I mentioned something about Locke and how things can't be transulated. Basically, making things up as I went along :p:

How did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think mine were even relevant -__- i Did no revision on conceptual schemes so I just wrote about language and time (conceptual relativsm) and how it isn't predetermined or something like that. It made no sense. Eugh. I mentioned something about Locke and how things can't be transulated. Basically, making things up as I went along :p:

How did you find it?
    Language could work, i mentioned it too, like wharf and wittgenstein and that lot? And time is relevant too... think you only need 45 out of 90 to get an a so if you did well on your other questions there's nothing to worry about, what other question did you answer? x

ReputationRep:
    Language could work, i mentioned it too, like wharf and wittgenstein and that lot? And time is relevant too... think you only need 45 out of 90 to get an a so if you did well on your other questions there's nothing to worry about, what other question did you answer? x
    haha Thankyou for the reassurance ^__^
    I did the question on Idea of God, how about you?

ReputationRep:
    How reliable is that claim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Dux)
    How reliable is that claim?
    That was last years grade boundires for this paper. but remember they mark it harshly

ReputationRep:
    I thought R+E was actually pretty good (although we hadn't covered conceptual schemes in depth so I sort of guessed - used Locke, Sapir-Whorf and concluded with Kant's synthesis).

For the second question, though, I did morality. Wasted five minutes trying to work out if part A was a trick question (virtue as in virtue ethics or Kant), and went for virtue ethics in the end. Then I ran out of time on the last question and barely even mentioned Kant or Hume...

I'm annoyed at myself cause I actually KNEW the content; I just wrote too slowly. I think I'm looking at B/C but I need an A overall...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 22, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.