AQA B2 21st May 2010 Exam Discussion watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i got that too

hardest question was either why does the sweat gland help to do this
    or meiosis (was it c???)
    and the carbon :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I said the sweat gland produced no sweat, the as the cool drink reduced core body temperature, so with less sweat less heat is lost. Meiosis was C and the carbon compounds in plants are proteins, fats and carbohydrates

ReputationRep:
    I was really annoyed at this paper!
    It was so random & after spending ages learning about plunnett squares, cystic fibrosis etc they didnt even get mentioned!

Carbon compounds?! Say what? :l

God help Chemistry & Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah-xo.)
    I was really annoyed at this paper!
    It was so random & after spending ages learning about plunnett squares, cystic fibrosis etc they didnt even get mentioned!

Carbon compounds?! Say what? :l

God help Chemistry & Physics.
    Absouluty nothing on embryos etc. I thought the last question was 44 esp as it was only 1 mark.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I really liked the exam. For the carbon compounds I put starch and glucose (since they both contain carbon). The other questions seemed not too bad

I didn't like the question about lactose and lactase too much however. :/

For my dependent variables I said: amount of bubbles (and how long it took for a certain amount to be produced) and how long bubbles are produced for (so how long photosynthesis lasted. Do these sound about right?

I got 10% for the maths question... I hope that's right; numbers aren't my forte to be honest

Overall, I feel quite confident- revision paid off! I hope I get an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banoffeepie16)
    Personally, I really liked the exam. For the carbon compounds I put starch and glucose (since they both contain carbon). The other questions seemed not too bad

For my dependent variables I said: amount of bubbles (and how long it took for a certain amount to be produced) and how long bubbles are produced for (so how long photosynthesis lasted. Do these sound about right?

I got 10% for the maths question... I hope that's right; numbers aren't my forte to be honest

I put starch and glucose but thought they might only be the same mark so put glucose and protein. I put number of bubbles per minute and size of bubbles but it felt wrong.
    The milk question was about reading the question and applying stuff only touched on.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i was like stuck for the bubbles question. I just put volume of water in testube before and after, because surely the oxygen bubbles would make the volume increase?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizzie-Harrison)
    Absouluty nothing on embryos etc. I thought the last question was 44 esp as it was only 1 mark.
    Exactly!
    Yeah, I got that for the last question.
    But to make matters worse, Ive just realised my mistakes. :l
    Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by levantine)
    Yeah i was like stuck for the bubbles question. I just put volume of water in testube before and after, because surely the oxygen bubbles would make the volume increase?
    I've just got it, would you connect up a gas syringe and measure the time taken to xcm3

ReputationRep:
    For the measuring photosynthesis i said the number of bubbles produced and then something about using iodine and light to test the amount of starch in the leaves. I left that one until the end though.

What did people get for the last one on homeostasis? Question was something like how the graph reflects the effects of vasoconstriction on the temperature of the skins surface?

ReputationRep:
    Body temperature increased after ice cold drink was swallowed, which shows less heat was lost due to constriction of blood vessels supplying the capillaries

ReputationRep:
    It was the volume of bubbles.

One of the last questions -in meiosis chromosomes make copies then divide twice so the answer was 30. As it forms a single set of chromosomes. 30 chromosomes from each parent. (30 x 2 = 60)

ReputationRep:
    the carbon compound question annoyed me, this was a retak for me, get the feeling my A on the original will be better (I retook to try and get an A* e.e)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitchTheAntiHero)
    the carbon compound question annoyed me, this was a retak for me, get the feeling my A on the original will be better (I retook to try and get an A* e.e)
    I felt I did better than before as I was retaking a B for an A*

ReputationRep:
    for the carbon question,

my book said DNA, carbohydrates, proteins and fats. But im also sure that glucose could count as it has carbon in. hmmmmm.

I think i majorly failed this paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banoffeepie16)

I actually found that the easiest question... i spent so much time learning the difficult stuff and most of the easy crap came up on the exam instead. What a ******* waste... Was aiming for an A* now i'll be lucky to get an A... ******* AQA

And the functions of DNA, i only got one which was it controlls the synthesising of protein

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazycake93)
    I actually found that the easiest question... i spent so much time learning the difficult stuff and most of the easy crap came up on the exam instead. What a ******* waste... Was aiming for an A* now i'll be lucky to get an A... ******* AQA

And the functions of DNA, i only got one which was it controlls the synthesising of protein
    The other mark was probably the word gene

ReputationRep:
    They changed a lot about the paper. I think because of speculations saying previous years weretoo easy. It wasn't too hard, I just found most questions were sort of irrelevant. They had nothing to do with osmosis and other things you would have expected. What did you guys put for the question about what does the pancreas make and how is the cell C suited to it? Also how did you find the Sankey Diagram question? Also I think most people found it hard, so the grade boundaries are likely to drop, so chin up guys!

ReputationRep:
    The question relating to DRINKING COLD WATER and how the body TEMPERATURE INCREASES: how are sweat glands used?
    sweat glands stay closed to prevent heat loss from evaporation of sweat.

the next question: (how do blood vessels help increase temperature) i put the BLOOD VESSELS CONSTRICT

But my biology teacher apparently said they dilate and some random stuff about colder interally as opposed to skin:/... i cant understand this. the GRAPH SHOWED THAT TEMPERATURE INCREASES. so surely for this to happen the VESSELS CONSTRICT to PREVENT BLOOD TO THE SURFACE OF THE SKIN THEREFORE PREVENTING HEAT LOSS BY RADIATION

did anyone put what i did? or am i wrong somewhere?!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p93)
    They changed a lot about the paper. I think because of speculations saying previous years weretoo easy. It wasn't too hard, I just found most questions were sort of irrelevant. They had nothing to do with osmosis and other things you would have expected. What did you guys put for the question about what does the pancreas make and how is the cell C suited to it? Also how did you find the Sankey Diagram question? Also I think most people found it hard, so the grade boundaries are likely to drop, so chin up guys!
    I put Cell C in the pancreas is adapted to making Protease. This is because there are many ribosomes, thus allowing protein synthesis which can be used for protease enzymes
    what about you:?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 26, 2010

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.