Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ...but proven wrong doing and subsequently prosecution occurs in a tiny minority of those cases.[/QUOTE]

I would agree that prosecution in itself is rare, however proven wrong doing is not necessarliy in the minority. You only have to go to a VDS seminar to hear about what riduculous things they have had to cough up for!! The last thing any vet needs is the aggrevation of a complaint and royal college investigation even if it's something that the college dismisses quickly. It can easliy wreck your confidence, damage your reputation and give you a heap of stress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponyvet)
    In response to an earlier post, inadvertently killing an animal or making a hefty mistake is a big deal!!
    There are more cases brought against vets in the UK than in the USA. It is quite scary that there are only approx 18,000 vets in the UK.
    Some clients value their pets far more than their partners and children, other clients perceive pets as children...... so beware!
    true but i was refering more to my moral point off view. I would stuggle to cope with the thought that i had (even via a mistake) killed a human, even if i did nothing tecnically worng but i might personally feel i could have done something more. I dont personally see an animals life anything like the same as a humans and wouldnt be as bothered with killing an animal.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If I were to be anything other than a vet, I would be a doctor. Dunno if any other perpspective vet students feel the same way haha.

I think I want to be a vet for a few reasons

1. I like working with animals

2. I like very varyed work - and I'd like to be able to do both the 'medicine' and 'surgery' side of everything, aswell as getting outside working on farms - basically love the variability of the job.

3. I like the way practises work, and I'd prefer being in a private profession rather than run by the NHS, which y dad constantly complains about.

4. I think veterinary medicine has alot more scope for being able to run your own business and become a partner, and I would like to run a business at some point.

5. I have a keen interest in animal welfare, and zoonotic diseases, and also enjoy the 'problem solving'. I also think i'd enjoy working in collaberation with owners to help treat their pets.

6. Also a bit about morality. I do think it would be harder operating on a human... just having a human body open and defencless on your table. and even injecting a human etc as can imagine you'd have to be AWFULLY patient with even the littlest treatments. People need to know every little thing about their treatment, to the extent of how much the needle will hurt etc.. animals you just jab them and be done with it. However this isn't a big deciding factor as yeah, you'd get past all that at medical school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris._.Bailey)
    true but i was refering more to my moral point off view. I would stuggle to cope with the thought that i had (even via a mistake) killed a human, even if i did nothing tecnically worng but i might personally feel i could have done something more. I dont personally see an animals life anything like the same as a humans and wouldnt be as bothered with killing an animal.
    I really hope you chose medicine!!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    lol he has two offers for vetmed. XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caraghk123)
    If I were to be anything other than a vet, I would be a doctor. Dunno if any other perpspective vet students feel the same way haha.

I think I want to be a vet for a few reasons

1. I like working with animals

2. I like very varyed work - and I'd like to be able to do both the 'medicine' and 'surgery' side of everything, aswell as getting outside working on farms - basically love the variability of the job.

3. I like the way practises work, and I'd prefer being in a private profession rather than run by the NHS, which y dad constantly complains about.

4. I think veterinary medicine has alot more scope for being able to run your own business and become a partner, and I would like to run a business at some point.

5. I have a keen interest in animal welfare, and zoonotic diseases, and also enjoy the 'problem solving'. I also think i'd enjoy working in collaberation with owners to help treat their pets.

6. Also a bit about morality. I do think it would be harder operating on a human... just having a human body open and defencless on your table. and even injecting a human etc as can imagine you'd have to be AWFULLY patient with even the littlest treatments. People need to know every little thing about their treatment, to the extent of how much the needle will hurt etc.. animals you just jab them and be done with it. However this isn't a big deciding factor as yeah, you'd get past all that at medical school.
    Yes, I see the benefits of choosing veterinary science instead of medicine. I agree with most of the factors you stated especially:

"2. I like very varyed work - and I'd like to be able to do both the 'medicine' and 'surgery' side of everything, aswell as getting outside working on farms - basically love the variability of the job "

AND OF COURSE:

"1. I love working with animals"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigercallie)
    I really hope you chose medicine!!!
    Seconded! If you don't really see an animal's life as something precious & something well worth saving, I would seriously question your suitability to be a vet. Sorry if I've misinterpreted your post, Chris, I'm not trying to have a go at you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jsrbrunty)
    Seconded! If you don't really see an animal's life as something precious & something well worth saving, I would seriously question your suitability to be a vet. Sorry if I've misinterpreted your post, Chris, I'm not trying to have a go at you.
    That's exactly what I was thinking, really.

ReputationRep:
    I had had to make the same decission as you last year. There are 2 main reasons i didnt want to do medicine
    1. If you make a mistake as a vet and kill and animal its not a big deal. If i made a mistake eg miss diagnosed, didnt check somet as a docter and a person died because of that i would struggle to cope
    2. Being a doctor you are going to be around people dying all the time, again i dont think i would like that.

however it would be good to save peoples lives on the flip side
    seriously!? Is this a genuine post !? you actually think it is not a big deal if you make a mistake with an animals life?! and would find it easy to cope with animals dying!? are you studying veterinary science!? Dear god i hope i never have to bring a animal to you! Sorry if this sounds mean but you dont seem to have a passion for animal welfare!?

ReputationRep:
    ~Okay based on this post i am presuming you definatly arent studying vet science in which case you are perfectly entitled to your own opinion, and i have made a mitake in presuming from the first sentence from you 1st post (which said you had to make the same decision and chose not to do medicine) made it sound as though you were doing vet science.
    sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tori687)
    ~Okay based on this post i am presuming you definatly arent studying vet science in which case you are perfectly entitled to your own opinion, and i have made a mitake in presuming from the first sentence from you 1st post (which said you had to make the same decision and chose not to do medicine) made it sound as though you were doing vet science.
    sorry!
    If you look on his profile, he's got two offers for vet med and he's going to Glasgow next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    If you look on his profile, he's got two offers for vet med and he's going to Glasgow next year.
    Ah I should have looked how dim of me, thank you
    Well I may be being horrid here but I think it is strange to choose to study vet medicine if you don't really see the issue with making a mistake with an animals life!? Not sure about anyone else but I would be devestated and I value animals life no less than a humans!? Most people that will bring their animal to a vet cherish their animal and love them therfore i don't think they would cope to well with ... "Oh im sorry i appear to have completly messed up and as a result your pet has died, but hey ho its not a human so never mind"!?!?!?!?!
    Sorry!?

ReputationRep:
    lol he has two offers for vetmed. XD
    !?!?!? Seriously

ReputationRep:
    I have seen many of my vets get really upset over losing an animal, or over PTSing one which they have cared for for a long time. I think it is impossible to do this job without having a interest and a passion for animal welfare! Even in large animal work when there is much more of a commercial attitude to animals, their welfare is still important, and making a mistake and losing an animal is not an option.

Edit: I'm not trying to have a go, it's just how I feel. Sorry if that came across as harsh, I'm not having a good day!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    !?!?!? Seriously
    yer -pokes his profile-
    I'm assuming he's a farm-boy.. . but even farmers have some compassion for their animals, all be it realistic with a strong sense of business in mind too.

Meh, sure he'll realise he WILL care about making careless mistakes and killing animals because of them, when he gets to vet school..

ReputationRep:
    yer -pokes his profile-
    I'm assuming he's a farm-boy.. . but even farmers have some compassion for their animals, all be it realistic with a strong sense of business in mind too.

Meh, sure he'll realise he WILL care about making careless mistakes and killing animals because of them, when he gets to vet school..
    We can only hope!? I sure as hell would not want my pet treated by someone who had no passion for animals it seems unreal that he is allowed to train as a vet with that sort of attitude, but as you say hopefully he will change his attitude, And yes farmers do CERTAINLY have compassion for their animals!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    That's exactly what I was thinking, really.

I have to join in and agree with that.
    I'm currently working at an international event this week. I'm on call tonight for 400+ highly valuable competition horses, many of which belong to the famous riders. If I have to treat the most minor wound tonight I will be having a stress (trot up is tomorrow); fighting to save a very sick one would be an incomprehensible level of stress!
    If I wasn't willing to fight to keep them safe and sound and do my very best for each of them, it would be time to give up!

ReputationRep:
    Ah I should have looked how dim of me, thank you
    Well I may be being horrid here but I think it is strange to choose to study vet medicine if you don't really see the issue with making a mistake with an animals life!? Not sure about anyone else but I would be devestated and I value animals life no less than a humans!? Most people that will bring their animal to a vet cherish their animal and love them therfore i don't think they would cope to well with ... "Oh im sorry i appear to have completly messed up and as a result your pet has died, but hey ho its not a human so never mind"!?!?!?!?!
    Sorry!?
    I proberly phased it wrong. I wouldnt be happy about killing an animal i would be sad. But there is a massive difference in my mind between killing a human by acident and kill an animal. I dont mean to undmine the value of animal life but i personally dont see animals as the same as a humans, and therefore i would not be able to cope with killing a humans, but i would be able to cope with myself if i killed an animal by acident. I am not saying i have no compassion for animal life, and i would be sad if an animal died under my care but it i am not sure i could live with myself if i killed a human (even by acident).

ReputationRep:
    I proberly phased it wrong. I wouldnt be happy about killing an animal i would be sad. But there is a massive difference in my mind between killing a human by acident and kill an animal. I dont mean to undmine the value of animal life but i personally dont see animals as the same as a humans, and therefore i would not be able to cope with killing a humans, but i would be able to cope with myself if i killed an animal by acident. I am not saying i have no compassion for animal life, and i would be sad if an animal died under my care but it i am not sure i could live with myself if i killed a human (even by acident).
    Yes, I understand what you mean, I've heard the same thing from other vets who feel the same way.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.