birkbeck students..everyone welcome.. Watch

mickeyfit
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mariachiara)
I'll be doing the full-time LLB so looking forward to meeting you guys =)
Hey if you've any LLB related questions just let me know - I'm heading into my 3rd year this year
ms throatwobbler-mangrove
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Have any of the first-years already got their programme handbook with module and reading list, timetable etc.? In my offer letter they said something about ''early summer'', so I suppose at the end of August I could slowly start wondering where it is?
joannef
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ms throatwobbler-mangrove)
Have any of the first-years already got their programme handbook with module and reading list, timetable etc.? In my offer letter they said something about ''early summer'', so I suppose at the end of August I could slowly start wondering where it is?
I have't had anything through yet. Which course are you doing? I think some departments have their timetables and tutor details online although when I look for mine, it just says that the details will be added later in the summer.

The BA Handbooks seem to be available online so the reading list could be in there.
lilxera
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

All that information should be on the relevant Schools website. What are you going to be studying? I know the School of Classics, History and Arch. have their stuff up and you just download.
lilxera
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
And preliminary reading lists are on the website.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by joannef)
I have't had anything through yet. Which course are you doing? I think some departments have their timetables and tutor details online although when I look for mine, it just says that the details will be added later in the summer.

The BA Handbooks seem to be available online so the reading list could be in there.
(Original post by lilxera)
All that information should be on the relevant Schools website. What are you going to be studying? I know the School of Classics, History and Arch. have their stuff up and you just download.
Thanks, you two =)
I'll be doing Theatre Studies & English; what are you going to study?

I had a look through the internet, but only found the last years one for Theatre Studies; which surely is quite helpful for a general overview, but I'd love to start buying books and just have a look through them, so a current one would be more helpful I suppose. I assume I just have to wait then...
mickeyfit
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks, you two =)

I had a look through the internet, but only found the last years one for Theatre Studies; which surely is quite helpful for a general overview, but I'd love to start buying books and just have a look through them, so a current one would be more helpful I suppose. I assume I just have to wait then...
In my department everything is on Blackboards so we can't access anything through the departmental website - In first year we didnt get the course guide until our first lecture.

Chances are the books in last years guide will be the same as the ones in this years guide unless a new edition has been published since.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mickeyfit)
In my department everything is on Blackboards so we can't access anything through the departmental website - In first year we didnt get the course guide until our first lecture.

Chances are the books in last years guide will be the same as the ones in this years guide unless a new edition has been published since.
Oh, alright. Thank you very much for the information
I'll probably send an email to the Head of my departement and ask if it would be alright to buy the books from last years list...
lilxera
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The reading lists do change... however the preliminary reading lists are on the actual website usually so when you look at the details for your course you should see the modules and be able to click on them and then see the prelim reading lists. I emailed the lecturers direct for the full list one of them provided me with a previous years one and the other said i would need to wait so everyone got it at the same time. The prelim list (for history anyway) is fairly substantial and is designed just to give an overview.

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/eh/programmes/u...moduleinfo2010

This is the link to the English modules running in 2010/2011. They open into PDFs.
lilxera
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Actually the Handbooks- timetables etc are all there.
joannef
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks, you two =)

I'm going to study History. I am currently still trying to decide which modules to pick!
lilxera
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by joannef)
I'm going to study History. I am currently still trying to decide which modules to pick!

I have to say there didnt seem to be much choice this year. I have deferred but originally I picked British Empire and British History Since 1750. Next year will have a broader selection I think.
joannef
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lilxera)
I have to say there didnt seem to be much choice this year. I have deferred but originally I picked British Empire and British History Since 1750. Next year will have a broader selection I think.
I definitely want to do British History since 1750 and hopefully the British History 1500-1750 will run next year so I can also do that.

Initially I was also going to pick the British Empire module but I'm now trying to decide between that and European History 1500-1800. If the later European History module had been available I would have chosen that. I had made my mind up and then today I suddenly decided I wasn't sure!
mariachiara
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey if you've any LLB related questions just let me know - I'm heading into my 3rd year this year
Thanks for the offer! I'm quite excited about Birkbeck... I got this sense of it having good support for students which is something that I didn't get at my first uni! I was wondering how the student life is considering almost everyone is a mature student? Also, did you have classes at Friends House during your whole LLB?
mickeyfit
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks for the offer! I'm quite excited about Birkbeck... I got this sense of it having good support for students which is something that I didn't get at my first uni! I was wondering how the student life is considering almost everyone is a mature student? Also, did you have classes at Friends House during your whole LLB?
I've never had classes at Friends House.... Wednesdays we had lectures in the Westminster Uni on Regent St though... hopefully that won't happen again this year.

The thing about student life is that almost everyone has a full time job, and you're in class 3 nights a week so you don't have a 'student life' in the traditional sense - though you do make friends with people in your class and some groups meet up at weekends and stuff but not during the week.
mariachiara
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've never had classes at Friends House.... Wednesdays we had lectures in the Westminster Uni on Regent St though... hopefully that won't happen again this year.

The thing about student life is that almost everyone has a full time job, and you're in class 3 nights a week so you don't have a 'student life' in the traditional sense - though you do make friends with people in your class and some groups meet up at weekends and stuff but not during the week.
Never knew they had classes at Westminster, so random! I called up earlier this week and apparently first year classes will all be at Friends House. I tried looking it up but it seems like an odd place for classes so don't know how I feel about that part.

I'm glad that the people seem friendly, that's what I was asking about when I said student life. Since I've got a day job I wouldn't have time to join anything during the day but was wondering if people still got together despite their hectic day schedules! =)
mickeyfit
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Never knew they had classes at Westminster, so random! I called up earlier this week and apparently first year classes will all be at Friends House. I tried looking it up but it seems like an odd place for classes so don't know how I feel about that part.

I'm glad that the people seem friendly, that's what I was asking about when I said student life. Since I've got a day job I wouldn't have time to join anything during the day but was wondering if people still got together despite their hectic day schedules! =)
Have to say i've never even heard of Friends House before - the Westminster thing is because the school had no space for the classes - we also had a class in UCL but thats right next to Birkbeck so made much more sense.

People might get together at weekends, i'd say during the week at night is out of the question with lectures and reading and college work etc. I have to say that in my class they mostly just get together either for study groups, or at the end of the year to celebrate the end of exams.
Orianne
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Recently got an invite from the law faculty to attend a w/end away at Cumberland Lodge. Anyone here going or been before? Thx
schlockandroll
Report 8 years ago
Well, somewhat sounds good It's a degree, but neither am I fully enrolled yet as I still don't have a UK bank account to pay my fees nor do I have any idea where I'll be living. But time will tell, I suppose.
I know this came really late but. . .I just recently accepted my Birkbeck MA offer and I have no idea where I'm going to be living either! Apparently it's too late to apply to the intercollegiate dorms. . .anyone care to dish on the advice? I'd really appreciate it!
lupinpooter
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Lurking on this thread as I'm thinking of going to Birkbeck next year after I've graduated (from the OU). I've got my eye on the Social and Political Theory MSc/MRes. Which MA are you doing schlockandroll?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1526)
79.27%
Leave (399)
20.73%

Watched Threads