Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i put that the design relied on heating where other designs use other forms of heat. i also put that too much solids would block/jam the stirrer

ReputationRep:
    I put that the solid would have to be turned into gas and this would take long

ReputationRep:
    i put theory of biogenius instead of biogenesis, do u guys think i'll get the mark

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so... soz, its obvious you meant it so you could of got it, they accept the phonetic spelling, but biogenius, doesnt sound like biogenesis, but you could get the mark =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amylevasseur)
    Why was that 'digestor' more expensive to run then other designs? oh and why did the solid concentration have to stay low?
    I put for the latter that if there was too much solid the stirrer would not work, plus it would take much longer for the fermentation to occur and would require filtering etc. so more work.
    For the 'digestor' question I put that it required lots of heat and that the fuel was expensive to store and basically a lot of scribbles.
    any ideas?
    I said it was expensive because the stirrer required a motor to run it, which requires the use of energy What was the answer to the one about the bread where it mentioned something to do with pH between 3.5 and 7?

ReputationRep:
    ugh i took 3 and retook 2 as well, by retaking 2 hopefully i knocked some of the 58 UMS points i needed to get an A overall.
    personally i found 3 harder than 2, but i think the only question i got majorly wrong was the one about ethanol where you had to write an enzyme :P
    it was so different from the practice questions :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amylevasseur)
    Why was that 'digestor' more expensive to run then other designs? oh and why did the solid concentration have to stay low?
    I put for the latter that if there was too much solid the stirrer would not work, plus it would take much longer for the fermentation to occur and would require filtering etc. so more work.
    For the 'digestor' question I put that it required lots of heat and that the fuel was expensive to store and basically a lot of scribbles.
    any ideas?
    1) I put because it used a heating coil and would use energy, just because I haven't seen one with a heating coil before.

2) Something about it being clogged up with the stirrers and pressure building up. Looking back it's probably something to do with the microrganisms not being able to break it all down because it's too big and it taking too long, like you said.

Hmm those were pretty difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adil12)
    I said it was expensive because the stirrer required a motor to run it, which requires the use of energy What was the answer to the one about the bread where it mentioned something to do with pH between 3.5 and 7?
    I think it's to do with the lactic acid produced by the bacteria that caused an acidic pH, but wouldn't stop the yeast from growing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoyBarking)
    I think it's to do with the lactic acid produced by the bacteria that caused an acidic pH, but wouldn't stop the yeast from growing.
    Yeah same I said it was due to the lactic acid production And for the concentration of the fermenter, I said that the microorganisms could easily digest the substances as it was less concentrated.

ReputationRep:
    which question was that? ^

ReputationRep:
    was it the why does the bread have a sour taste one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoK)
    was it the why does the bread have a sour taste one?
    No the one after that about pH between 3.5 and 7.

What did you guys get for why most yeast rose at 27 degrees?

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember that question but I imagine it is something to do with optimum conditions.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I said it was the optimum temperature for yeast growth and more CO2 produced

ReputationRep:
    So guys what did you get for these questions? I wrote out some of my answers so let me know if you think I am right or not, if you agree and how many marks you think I would get for each of them:

It has a sour taste because optimum growth of bacteria and bacteria cause this sour taste (2 marks).

For why yeast grew best at 27 degrees I said it was the optimum temperature for the dough and most carbon dioxide was produced (2 marks)

For the pH one after about it being between 3.5 and 7, I said it was because of lactic acid production (1 mark).

For the broth one, I said the shape prevented entry of microorganisms (1 mark).

Microorganisms grew when it was tilted because microorganisms could enter and living organisms only develop from pre-existing organisms (2 marks).

I said the fermenter had a low concentration so that the microorganisms could digest the substances more easily (1 mark).

I said it would be expensive because the motor for the stirrer would require the use of energy to run (1 mark).

The heart rate was lower because the cardiac output was greater, so less beats were required to provide this output (2 marks).

ReputationRep:
    bacteria doesn't cause the sour taste, the lactic acid does. For the fermenter, wasn't it why high concentration os solids should be used?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoK)
    bacteria doesn't cause the sour taste, the lactic acid does. For the fermenter, wasn't it why high concentration os solids should be used?
    Yeah I just realised I missed out the lactic acid part, but I should get a mark for mentioning bacteria was at optimum at the time. And I'm sure it was low concentration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adil12)
    Yeah I just realised I missed out the lactic acid part, but I should get a mark for mentioning bacteria was at optimum at the time. And I'm sure it was low concentration.
    I wrote lactic acid, then crossed it out and wrote alcohol .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 24, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.