The Student Room Group

PC2 Maths, AQA 24/05/10

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Jono404
I never got round to teaching myself sigma notation so lost 4 marks there annoyingly.

The one where you had to translate the graph and find out where y=0, it was like 2^(4x-1)-0.5 wasn't it? then I got X=0 but I don't think that was right.

I can confirm X=0. Hope its right.
Reply 21
Ollie901
I found it quite difficult as well.
I thought it was harder then the past papers from the past 3 or 4 years, but that may just be because of my lack of sleep last night (dodgy chinese :frown: )

Q4 threw me a bit as well. What did you get for p & q?
I got -3 and 3 I think.
I got a negative area on the bit afterwards. Can't remember what it was exactly but it was a small number.

The constants of the binomial expansion were 1, -3, 3, -1 (the third row of pascal's triangle)
The area was 100% 1.7 and the answer you are getting is - because the graph was under the x- axis. I left it as a minus. Hopefully won't lose any marks.

The only question i struggled and got wrong was the translations.
Reply 22
Ollie901
Yes!
I got exactly the same. Please tell me you are good at maths :P

I spent quite a bit of time subbing values back in etc to check so I'm fairly sure they're right, was so unsure about the limit to infinity one though
Reply 23
war833

Casio FX991es equation solver saves my life once again
is it just me or did anyone else find the last few log questions difficult? :frown:
Reply 25
Jono404
Casio FX991es equation solver saves my life once again

I got x=0 as well....But my teachers told me it wasn't. PLEASEESESESES please tell me you are correct, sir. If yes I'm getting drunk tonight!!!!
Reply 26
memomemootoo
is it just me or did anyone else find the last few log questions difficult? :frown:

Very.
Reply 27
The last log question was quite hard because you had to spot that log(base10)2.5/log(base10)2 + 3 =1/log(base10)2
Reply 28
lifeadd1ct
I got x=0 as well....But my teachers told me it wasn't. PLEASEESESESES please tell me you are correct, sir. If yes I'm getting drunk tonight!!!!

I got x= 0.75.

Cuz after the translation the equation would become 2^4(x-1)-0.5 that is 2^4x-4 - 0.5
war833

oh crap...i got x=0 aswell and then i might have crossed it out :zomg:
Reply 30
Jono404
Okay that was a touch solid, the binomial expansion/integration one had me stumped for ages had to go back and spend 15 mins on it at the end.

Answers I can remember:

Second term of arithmetic sequence 8, common difference -0.5, limit to infinity of geometric series 10?

p and q on the binomial were -3 and 3, then you integrated and got -1.7

gradient was 3/2 and gradient of normal -2/3 (might be other way round)

Trapezium Rule was 5.55

Phew, glad I wasn't the only one who found Q4 difficult.

I was rushing at the and and put P=3, Q=3.
What were the marks for that question, would I have got 1 mark for that?

Can't remember the others, but I got the trapezium one correct :yeah:
Reply 31
chronicl3
No, I got x= 0.75.

Cuz after the translation the equation would become 2^(4x-1)-0.5 that is 2^4x-4 - 0.5

ye that's what my teacher said but he told me he wasn't 100% positive.
Reply 32
chronicl3
No, I got x= 0.75.

Cuz after the translation the equation would become 2^(4x-1)-0.5 that is 2^4x-4 - 0.5

Iirc after the translation it was 2^(4x-1)-0.5. Maybe I translated the original graph rather than the one it asked?
Reply 33
N!*
Phew, glad I wasn't the only one who found Q4 difficult.

I was rushing at the and and put P=3, Q=3.
What were the marks for that question, would I have got 1 mark for that?

Can't remember the others, but I got the trapezium one correct :yeah:

The p and Q one was only worth 2 marks which i thought was weird, the thing that threw me is that the signs were ++- in the question
Reply 34
war833
Iirc after the translation it was 2^(4x-1)-0.5. Maybe I translated the original graph rather than the one it asked?

I got 2^4(x-1) - 0.5
Reply 35
The translation WAS 2^4(X-1) - 0.5! = 2^(4x-4) -0.5. x was 0.75 i'm certain.

I had to spend 5 mins explaining this to my maths teacher haha. Also for the 2^4x translates to 2^(4x-3) is a translation of 0.75 units parallel to x-axis. NOT +3 UNITS!!!
Reply 36
stupid translations..they costed me 2 marks in january's pure core 3 (got 91%).
Reply 37
Yeah I see where I went wrong now, needed parentheses then expansion. How many marks was that worth? Hopefully I'll get one of them for the -0.5....
Reply 38
Oh crap!
Reply 39
rob...
The translation WAS 2^4(X-1) - 0.5! = 2^(4x-4) -0.5. x was 0.75 i'm certain.

I had to spend 5 mins explaining this to my maths teacher haha. Also for the 2^4x translates to 2^(4x-3) is a translation of 0.75 units parallel to x-axis.

:yes:

Did you get " translation (3/4 0) for the question before that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending