Turn on thread page Beta

Being called 'Anorexic' can be just as hurtful as being called 'obese' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got asked by my new form tutor if i was anorexic.. and then when i told her that i eat whatever i want and my mums thin too she qustioned me on everything i ate yesterday!

It's not fair because im a size 6/8 and just below 7st does not mean i have a disorder, i was born this way! I'm really glad im not the only one who thinks its hurtful to call someone anorexic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    pics x
    Few months ago though lol
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel, in ways it's worse for a guy. I'm 5'8 and I wear the smallest adult jeans you can get yet I have a huge appetite, if I have roast dinner I always have 2 or 3 servings. It's down to metabolism I think, you just have to live with it though

ReputationRep:
    Go to the gym,eat more. Doesn't just work for guys you know.

ReputationRep:
    so if someone called someone a fat ugly cow (eastenders, hehe!) or 'you're as skinnt as a lampost' then which one is the most hurtful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarlettMelody)
    I got asked by my new form tutor if i was anorexic.. and then when i told her that i eat whatever i want and my mums thin too she qustioned me on everything i ate yesterday!

It's not fair because im a size 6/8 and just below 7st does not mean i have a disorder, i was born this way! I'm really glad im not the only one who thinks its hurtful to call someone anorexic
    it's because everyone in the UK is used to seeing well-fed people.

so something different from the norm is like OMG !!

my favourite example to use is the Maasai people

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...asai_tribe.jpg

they are among the healthiest people around, but uk people would be OMG ANOREXIC - EAT SOMETHING !! they are healthier than you, so shut up and put the pie down.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree, it's very annoying.
    Once in primary school a girl called me an anorexic *****, and I said "Well I'd rather be me than a fat cow like you."
    And I got in trouble but SHE didn't. If we'd both got in trouble fair enough, but that was so unfair, and surprise surprise the teacher who punished me was also fat ohoho.
    So my mum, who is also slim, went in and complained. Bloody double standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lella_m)
    You already know that I adore your figure, Sarah!

I suspect it has been said before, but the majority of people saying these things (especially females) are ultimately jealous.

Chin up sweetheart
    Heyyyyy Thank you, I love you!!!!!!!!!Haha you make me feel brill

ReputationRep:
    I wish people would understand that for some people it's physically impossible to gain weight. It's hardly your fault you have a high metabolism and not many others do.

Just try and ignore those comments, I bet you most of it is out of jealousy on their part. Don't let them successfully project their insecurities on you.

:hugs:

Edited due to stupid grammar :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah.Rivers)
    Few months ago though lol
    take that lella !! anyway ...

how are you even remotely ana? [yes I realise it's a mental disorder, but there is the physical thing, you know what I meant don't be a pedant]

just pure jealously. you look good.

classic case of, if you can't have something, demean it so much so it's not even worth having :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLeprachaun)
    Go to the gym,eat more. Doesn't just work for guys you know.
    I DO EAT! I never stop, this is my point, this is how I AM.

I like it, it seems to be other people that have the issue.

ReputationRep:

boom.

Why are the skinny people told OH EAT !!

but fat people are allowed to use the "I'm fat cos my genes"? :rolleyes:

sure as **** ain't about your health.

ReputationRep:
    boom.

Why are the skinny people told OH EAT !!

but fat people are allowed to use the "I'm fat cos my genes"? :rolleyes:

sure as **** ain't about your health.
    Well it might be my metabolism?

ReputationRep:
    it's because everyone in the UK is used to seeing well-fed people.

so something different from the norm is like OMG !!

my favourite example to use is the Maasai people

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...asai_tribe.jpg

they are among the healthiest people around, but uk people would be OMG ANOREXIC - EAT SOMETHING !! they are healthier than you, so shut up and put the pie down.
    I love love love it when you use this example haha. Because it's so true. Thy are the epitmoe of Human Strength imo.

ReputationRep:
    Well it might be my metabolism?
    and?

being skinny isn't a risk?

ReputationRep:

I'm not trying to be mean or anything but the 'this is how I am' line doesn't really have any truth to it. ANYONE can gain weight, it's just harder for some than others, but there's eating and then there's EATING hehe.

If you're really interested in getting some size( it is possible for anyone, but it can be just as hard as it is for fat people to lose weight) get a decent gym program(weights are important, don't be scared of lifting heavy just because you're a girl, we're all humans at the end of the day) and get a proper diet sorted out( eat 6 meals a day, designated times,designated calories) and you'll get the size eventually. Don't worry about looking like a muscly freak by the way, there's not chance of that happening 'by accident', it doesn't just creep up one day, sure look at guys, they lift for years to get that way).

It's your choice at the end of the day though, but if people are calling you names for being skinny, you can change that. You're right about calling people anorexic being just as bad as calling people fat. But that works both ways, BEING really skinny is just as bad as BEING really fat.

ReputationRep:
    and?

being skinny isn't a risk?
    No!!!! Not if I eat three whole meals a day and excercise LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to be mean or anything but the 'this is how I am' line doesn't really have any truth to it. ANYONE can gain weight, it's just harder for some than others, but there's eating and then there's EATING hehe.

If you're really interested in getting some size( it is possible for anyone, but it can be just as hard as it is for fat people to lose weight) get a decent gym program(weights are important, don't be scared of lifting heavy just because you're a girl, we're all humans at the end of the day) and get a proper diet sorted out( eat 6 meals a day, designated times,designated calories) and you'll get the size eventually. Don't worry about looking like a muscly freak by the way, there's not chance of that happening 'by accident', it doesn't just creep up one day, sure look at guys, they lift for years to get that way).

It's your choice at the end of the day though, but if people are calling you names for being skinny, you can change that. You're right about calling people anorexic being just as bad as calling people fat. But that works both ways, BEING really skinny is just as bad as BEING really fat.
    You've misunderstood, clearly.

I don't want to be any bigger. I am happy this way. I don't like OTHER PEOPLE not being happy.

ReputationRep:
    I used to get this all the time in 6th form, if anyone was going to insult me they'd be sure to put 'anorexic' or 'skinny' in it. I was quite slim with a BMI of about 19 so not that thin or ill or anything!

Just try and ignore it, funnily enough it was always the fatter girls who would use it as an insult!

ReputationRep:

Why should she?

The point is the majority of these girls aren't unhealthy skinny. neither are they suffering from health problems (I assume)

So if their health is fine? why should they gain weight because it's "unsightly to some?"

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.