Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've never ever used imperial and wouldn't know how much some imperial measurements are, I've always been taught metric

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Because I don't want to ask the barman, "Yeah, can I get five hundred and sixty eight mills of Pale Rider please mate?"
    Well obviously if we used metric they wouldn't sell pints, we'd get litres and half-litres instead.

(Original post by Giggsy's Girl)
    I can't get my head around metric. You go to the shop for a pint of milk, not 568 mils.
    As above.

There's no special reason why we are served liquids in that exact amount, a pint is just a convenient measurement when using imperial. If we used metric, we'd use a different round number.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently it could cost £80m for a switch of road signs from imperial to metric...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/fe...igrationpolicy

(Original post by Lewis :D)
    I've never ever used imperial and wouldn't know how much some imperial measurements are, I've always been taught metric

Ever been asked to pick up some milk from the supermarket... I bet you've never been told to pick up a 568ml, 1.1L, 2.2l bottle of milk?

ReputationRep:
    I grew up with the metric system and I can tell you it's so much easier to calculate with. I do not understand why you keep the imperial system and lots of other relics from the past like your electorial system and driving in the wrong side of the road .
    I guess people are just conservative and do not want to change things :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greatmonte)
    what about time!!!!!!!!!!

actually time is measured metrically - what The Simpsons refered to as 'metric time' is in fact 'decimal time'

They can take our freedom but they will never take our IMPERIAL MEASUREMENTS! :goaway:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Well obviously if we used metric they wouldn't sell pints, we'd get litres and half-litres instead.

As above.

There's no special reason why we are served liquids in that exact amount, a pint is just a convenient measurement when using imperial. If we used metric, we'd use a different round number.
    Then I'm losing 68ml out of every pint. It doesn't sound like much, but it's a good mouthful. I don't really want the quantities of my pints changed.

Besides that, asking for half a litre of ale just sounds weird. I can imagine saying kilometres per hour, 170cm for someone's height, but half a litre just doesn't work for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)

As above.

God forbid anyone should ask for "half a litre" of beer when at the pub. Urgh.

ReputationRep:
    Then I'm losing 68ml out of every pint. It doesn't sound like much, but it's a good mouthful. I don't really want the quantities of my pints changed.

Besides that, asking for half a litre of ale just sounds weird. I can imagine saying kilometres per hour, 170cm for someone's height, but half a litre just doesn't work for me.
    Well the cost would be proportionally cheaper. Ah, who am I kidding, of course the pubs would take the opportunity to charge more. But hypothetically speaking, just because there is less in each unit, it doesn't mean you get less for your money.

It does show that the only reason for not changing is because people don't like change. Metric just plain makes more sense given our decimal numbering system. But because people are used to imperial, they won't change.

By the way, in Germany you can get a litre mug of beer. That's pretty awesome.

edit - Now I think about it, why the hell do you need to say the measurement when you order? Do you ask for 500ml of Coke at McDonalds? No, you ask for a large. Why does beer need to be different? They get on fine in other countries that use metric.

ReputationRep:
    Pints are pretty much the only thing I'd keep. For milk and other similar stuff, litres are fine but for beer it has to be a pint.
    If you go messing around with metric, there's no real obvious choice for the standard amount per drink (500? 600? 750?) which means everywhere will sell different amounts and it would get horribly confusing (well, ish) trying to work out which places are expensive. Plus, a pint is the perfect amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshTerminator)
    It just seems easier for me to visualise since I was never taught the metric system in school.
    What the . . .

How did you do science, then? Virtually all SI units are metric.

Personally, I'm in favour of complete metrification (spell-checker tells me this isn't a word :hmmm: ), even time. Yeah, it would be confusing for a bit, but I think it's logical.

ReputationRep:
    Because we're not French, we're English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBoy92)
    Just get rid of them, theyre obselete.
    Can you imagine trying to work out the kinetic energy of an object using stones and ounces?
    One of the first things I would do if I had the power... come on, the only people who really are for having Imperial will be dead soon anyway...

(Original post by Time Tourist)
    Because we're not French, we're English.
    They did away with their Imperial ~ 200 years ago... get with the times UK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Well the cost would be proportionally cheaper. Ah, who am I kidding, of course the pubs would take the opportunity to charge more. But hypothetically speaking, just because there is less in each unit, it doesn't mean you get less for your money.

It does show that the only reason for not changing is because people don't like change. Metric just plain makes more sense given our decimal numbering system. But because people are used to imperial, they won't change.

By the way, in Germany you can get a litre mug of beer. That's pretty awesome.

edit - Now I think about it, why the hell do you need to say the measurement when you order? Do you ask for 500ml of Coke at McDonalds? No, you ask for a large. Why does beer need to be different? They get on fine in other countries that use metric.
    Because if I ask for a beer, I get asked if I want a pint or a half. I get what you're saying, but I just think changing it would be a waste of time and money. I know of nobody who has a problem with the way we order drinks in a pub at the moment, so why change it?

I could completely understand for let's say, supermarkets, where you often compare prices by their cost per litre or cost per kilo, but you don't really do that in pubs and such.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)

They did away with their Imperial ~ 200 years ago... get with the times UK!
    I'm really happy for them, but I want a pint.

ReputationRep:
    Because we are a nation who likes to make things more awkward then they need to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by majikthise)
    Pints are pretty much the only thing I'd keep. For milk and other similar stuff, litres are fine but for beer it has to be a pint.
    If you go messing around with metric, there's no real obvious choice for the standard amount per drink (500? 600? 750?) which means everywhere will sell different amounts and it would get horribly confusing (well, ish) trying to work out which places are expensive. Plus, a pint is the perfect amount.
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    I'm really happy for them, but I want a pint.

There is a metric pint which is just about the same... it's half a litre. Just for you Perfect.

ReputationRep:

Actually, you just ask for a tapped/draught beer (fadøl or fadbamse in DK) not half a litre

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mumitroldeN)
    Actually, you just ask for a tapped/draught beer (fadøl or fadbamse in DK) not half a litre
    I don't live in Denmark If I'm abroad, then I say whatever the price list or sign says lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mumitroldeN)
    I grew up with the metric system and I can tell you it's so much easier to calculate with. I do not understand why you keep the imperial system and lots of other relics from the past like your electorial system and driving in the wrong side of the road .
    I guess people are just conservative and do not want to change things :confused:
    Very true haha :yep:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.