Turn on thread page Beta

Hurt Locker packs hurt on illegal filesharing watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneyballs2)
    I think I'm pretty safe, plus, my wifi will inconvieniently be set to unsecured should they come looking for me. "OH NOES! Those darn hax0rs!
    That's not really a defence, you know. Your wifi is your own responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't people just stream this ****?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiberius)
    Why don't people just stream this ****?
    You can't really stream in 1080p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    People still use torrents for illegal downloads? I thought Rapidshare and such were the big thing these days. It's safer because you aren't sharing it, unless you were the one who hosted it originally. I believe you can only be prosecuted for sharing and not just for downloading. Unless the law has changed?
    Rapidshare is terrible, the speeds aren't nearly as high and you can't find the same material. (smaller library)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    use peerblock its the same as peerguardian but its updated.

also use a VPN then your internet activity will be hidden

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    Not to prove you wrong exactly, but check this out: http://www.iis.net/media/experiencesmoothstreaming1080p

ReputationRep:
    So the hurt locker makes no where near as much money as the film makers and companies hoped it would. What does the producer think? 'Hey ill sue the thousands who illegally downloaded it to make up for how no one bought it cos it wasn't that good'. This is desperation and if anything, embarrassing to the producer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priveac)
    Not to prove you wrong exactly, but check this out: http://www.iis.net/media/experiencesmoothstreaming1080p
    The 1080p scene release of The Hurt Locker (10.1GB) has an average bitrate of 10.6Mbps. Even with Virgin Media, you need the 50Mbit connection to avoid the throttling if you want to watch it between 10am and 9pm

ReputationRep:
    That's not really a defence, you know. Your wifi is your own responsibility.
    No, it would be a defence if he hadn't incriminated himself. In this country it has to be proven that you personally committed the crime. It would be like if you left your car unlocked, someone stole your car and then got a speeding ticket, would you have to pay that speeding ticket? No, you wouldn't. Same goes for wireless connections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    Just to make one thing clear.

You cant be traced if you are part of a private tracker?
    You can be traced, but it's harder.

ReputationRep:
    Somehow I think all this proposed legislation is going to blow up in the faces of the politicians and industry leaders who proposed it. The law is so heavily biased at the moment it's insane. Linking illegal activity to an IP address simply isn't enough proof to convict in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Im sure the real heavey downloaders ie those with some computer know how will have hid their IP address succesfully.

ReputationRep:
    I do, often enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    The 1080p scene release of The Hurt Locker (10.1GB) has an average bitrate of 10.6Mbps. Even with Virgin Media, you need the 50Mbit connection to avoid the throttling if you want to watch it between 10am and 9pm
    ...oh how I will miss uni internet.

ReputationRep:
    Oh noes, wouldn't it be terrible if some-one had already downloaded it, watched it, and dis-liked it.
    That wouldn't be me by the way

ReputationRep:
    I always buy my films but I think the movie industry needs to realise that the cat is out of the bag, and has been for almost a decade.
    They need to adapt themselves like the music industry is starting to (with things such as Spotify). And realise that they can't turn back the tide of downloading by trying to sue everybody. Instead they need to change the way they do things to make money. And please, please don't make adverts with a multi-millionaire, $50 million Beverly Hills mansion-owning actor/actress saying "You're stealing from me!" like the RIAA did with Britney, believe me, that doesn't make anyone sympathetic.

The Hurt Locker looks like complete tripe by the way. I agree they're probably suing because people downloaded it and decided it was so crap they didn't want to buy the dvd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micky022)
    http://gizmodo.com/5537281/hurt-lock...gainst-pirates

Angry man. Opinions? Hope this isn't in the UK too.
    No. People poured their heart and soul into the movie and some jerk off wants to profit from his sleepless nights, his sweat, his life... for nothing?

OK. See you in court *******.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murpo)
    use peerblock its the same as peerguardian but its updated.

also use a VPN then your internet activity will be hidden
    You realise PG2/PB doesn't stop ****?

Hurr durr I'm blocking the IPs of anti-p2p organisations so I'm safe to download copyrighted content.

No.

You've only blocked KNOWN anti-p2p IPs, you can still be identified.

As for VPNs, most have to keep logs by law, so, just like seedboxes, your identity will be given away when the company is pressured, they get sued, or they let you get sued, you know what they're going to do.

ReputationRep:
    Good for them. How can you possibly be angry that the company who produced the film don't want people to have it for free? ******* sick of people thinking they should get everything for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Rapidshare is terrible, the speeds aren't nearly as high and you can't find the same material. (smaller library)
    I don't mind the speed because I'm only on 0.5mb at uni, but even at home I'm rarely in such a hurry for things. I agree the library is smaller, but I almost never have problems finding what I'm looking for.

I imagine downloading HD movies is a pain with it, but I'm much more likely to buy a movie I like than a music album.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.