Uni sounds worse than school tbh. Watch

christykai1049
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by patella)
As other people said, it's what you make of it.

i agree. you have to approach university with a very open mind. take whatever happens to you as an experience and learn. everything. and most of all be happy. if you're not happy with the group of friends that you have, luckily you won't have to see them everyday (like school) you can easily ditch them and find some other friends that suite you.
i think uni is all about finding out who you are. so yeah much better than school. and embrace every opportunity, experience you encounter. you will have fun, as long as you're open-minded. be willing to make some changes to your normal routine and people you usually surround yourself with.
generic hybrid
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
one thing you have to remember is that uni is way, way bigger than school, so while there may be a few thousand VILE DISGUSTING SLUTS CREATING A REASON FOR SEXISM!!! there will also be plenty of people out there who you get along with.
aeterno
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yes, its just that by the anecdotal evidence i've been given, the shagfest thing is prevalent in both the guys and the girls. And what it ends up being is that a lot of guys get no success and end up feeling gutted whilst a lot of girls have guy after guy after guy which basically is not so much different to being a prostitute. I was raised in quite a conservative family and my relatives would never do stuff like dress like a hooker and get with every guy who is 'fit'. Thing is, this is most of the girls at the uni i have chosen. One girls facebook even read how she was actively looking for 'fit rah boys' and it annoys me that in this supposedly forward thinking society we are still playing the class system and creating reason for sexism to occur.

But maybe i'm just old fashioned.
I'd say there's a bit of generalisation going on here.

I'm not at uni because I want a shagfest - I'm there to get a good degree first and foremost. And I actually know quite a few people who are the same.

Sure there may be an abundance of people who have sex (and drinking) as their number one priority but not everyone's like that; if you're not like that, why assume that everyone else is? You just have to find the right people to make friends with who share your views and let those who are there for sex get on with their lives.
Indieboohoo
Badges: 1
Report 8 years ago
I think someone's been watching American Pie
brokenangel
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm sick of being the one who has to impress women and tbh the only thing my University sounds good for is the top degree i'll be getting.
Youll find friends you agree with but they might not be the people your living with. TBH i dont see the problem with cliche sorta speak, i was never hugely popular at school but have made a great group of friends at uni and speak to nearly everyone in my class.

Very few people are sidelined and *****ed about at uni unlesss you have appaulling personnal hygene then expect no one to speak to you. Most uni student are 18-25 so expect the normal lets go get pissed etc just the same as you would get in school. TBH the people who are like study study study are the ones who end up with no friends and a **** time at uni. Go out (even if you dont drink) join some sports clubs/societies and youll have a great time.

I really cant believe im soon heading into my final year really dont want it to be all over.
Arturo Bandini
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes, there are a lot of retards at uni. That's life. There are a lot of retards everywhere.
greatmonte
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think from TSR and from other students It seems to me that the best way for me to enjoy uni is not to try and make uni like some american pie movie (because ill be disappointed im told) and try and spend every night with a different **** but to actualy find good mates who I can be myself around and have a laugh with.......so what I think is if you put yourself in this sort of "race" to be the guy who does this or that you'll lose (to richer/better looking people) but if you actualy wanna be an adult you just make the friends you want......
elixira
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Before I started uni, I was scared everyone would be really intelligent and intellectual, and I'd appear utterly dim in comparison. I imagined lounging around in coffee shops discussing poetry and classics, with girls like Daria and tweed-clad boys.

:rolleyes:

The place is ******* full of jocks. I go to an ex-poly, though.
elixira
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh and I was also surprised by the amount of people who listen to drum & bass and **** like that, genuinely thought EVERYONE would be super-indie.
Killer Bean
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't bother with uni then, mate; I think a brothel would be more suited to your tastes.
Xenopus
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Uni is massively better than school. I know people will have different experiences of it, depending on where they go, which college they are in etcetera, but I had three of the best years of my life at uni. I didn't like school, I only went because I had to, but I would choose to do uni again. In fact I am doing uni again, I have got another three years doing a PhD, and it is still better than school. I'm probably having about as good a time now as I did when I was a fresher, I think uni is great.
village_anonymous
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This teh account i have been getting from a lot of people at University. As a guy , it sounds **** and worse than school. At least when i was school i was not paying a ******** for everything (apart from the degree which is definitely worth it). Cliques? Rugby guys? etc? It just sounds like an American tv programme tbh. I want to be around adults and not this sad state of affairs. Ok, perhaps i was not given the right genes in terms of physical stature being a guy just below 5ft8 but i really cba to play that whole game of pretending to be just like everyone else and mounting myself in endless debt just to pointlessly fund a big **** off alcohol binge and hope for a shag at the end of it.
I'm sick of being the one who has to impress women and tbh the only thing my University sounds good for is the top degree i'll be getting.
What Misterdonut said is completely ********.

There are no popular kids anymore, geeks have just as many friends as the old popular lot, and average joes can get laid if they try.
I Love Dog
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
LOL @ the OP feeling like he's entitled to sex.
werd123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Believe it or not there are vastly more important things than sex :p:
elixira
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by brokenangel)
TBH the people who are like study study study are the ones who end up with no friends and a **** time at uni.
You kinda DO need to 'study study study' unless you're happy with a 2:2 drinker's degree. :yep:
brokenangel
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by elixira)
You kinda DO need to 'study study study' unless you're happy with a 2:2 drinker's degree. http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...milies/yep.gif
Im happily on a 1st by my calculations and havent studied studied studied all year in contrast most of my assignments are done in the two/three days before they are due and exam revision has been a week for each module. The rest of the time yes i attend lectures & labs etc and do concentrate but rearly do loads of work once i get home.

If you pick a subject you are gifted at and work a reasonable amount you can still have a great social life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (58)
19.46%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (119)
39.93%
Nope, not that interesting (121)
40.6%

Watched Threads