History- America Boom Bust and Recovery, Edexcel June 16th Watch

This discussion is closed.
Emjem123x
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Individual)
I have actually called in "sick" for work tommorow so i can spend the next four days dedicated to America. I would really like this hangover to go before i start however.
I have all my exams in the space of two days...two on the Tuesday and then History the following day. CRISIS.
I too have bailed on work, bribing my friends to cover for me
I think myself and my history folder will be best friends by Wednesday.
alliefunkin
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
And in response to your earlier question, my teacher was the author of the Access to History book for this course, Peter Clements, sorry i didn't make that clear earlier .
You have Clements as a tutor?! Oh my God, his access to history book (admittedly the 1997 edition, it was only 1p on Amazon!) has been my saviour in revising for this exam. I wish I had such a genious as a teacher, instead I have a sweaty, grumpy little man who's unwillingness to help us in revising for the exam is sooo infuriating!

Anyway, I have a question...do we need to know about Truman and the 'free deal' for the exam?? Also, do we have to understand FDR's 'later deal' in that much detail??
icyescape
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey does anyone have any notes on the 1928 presidential election? It is a bullet point in the sample scheme of work , however there isn't anything on it in the Access to history book!
icyescape
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh and I devised a simple formula for each point that I bring up in the answers, in order to make it more wholesome and analytical

part A answers:

Introduction for part A
Define any ambiguous A02 - e.g. "Hoover is an idiot." How far you agree....
How would you define idiot? Economically, socially blahblahblah

POINT
EVIDENCE/PROOF
DEVELOPMENT
LINK TO THE CONTENTION OF THE QUESTION
EVALUATION OF THE POINT

In the conclusion:
WEIGHING UP POINTS
OVERALL EVALUATION
JUDGEMENT

part B answers:

Introduction for section B
Again, define ambiguous A02
Say there are areas of agreement and disagreement amidst the sources, summarise them basically and do a quick one-liner as to how you will structure your essay.

POINT
EVIDENCE/PROOF (own knowledge)
DEVELOPMENT
USE OF SOURCES (Cross referencing)
EVALUATION OF THE POINT/HISTORIOGRAPHICAL ANALYSIS/WEIGHT OF THE HISTORIAN'S ARGUMENT

In the conclusion:
WEIGHING UP POINTS
OVERALL EVALUATION
JUDGEMENT

any ammendments?

[thanks Emjem123x aswell]
Individual
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by alliefunkin)
You have Clements as a tutor?! Oh my God, his access to history book (admittedly the 1997 edition, it was only 1p on Amazon!) has been my saviour in revising for this exam. I wish I had such a genious as a teacher, instead I have a sweaty, grumpy little man who's unwillingness to help us in revising for the exam is sooo infuriating!

Anyway, I have a question...do we need to know about Truman and the 'free deal' for the exam?? Also, do we have to understand FDR's 'later deal' in that much detail??
He is a legend of a teacher, even though he is like 70 now and insists on still using a blackboard :p:. Your teacher does not sound very good .

In response to your question, we don't need to do anything about the free deal, but we do need to know the later new deals in some detail, as they are most likely to come up as part of one of the source questions (Controversies).
alliefunkin
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
He is a legend of a teacher, even though he is like 70 now and insists on still using a blackboard :p:. Your teacher does not sound very good .

In response to your question, we don't need to do anything about the free deal, but we do need to know the later new deals in some detail, as they are most likely to come up as part of one of the source questions (Controversies).
Oh thank God for that! I so could not be bothered to learn about the Fair Deal! And I see that you live in Norwich...me too! What college do you go to??
And Clements is ancient! Wow, he must have so much experience of teaching this topic...you really are so lucky to have him.
alliefunkin
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by icyescape)
Oh and I devised a simple formula for each point that I bring up in the answers, in order to make it more wholesome and analytical

part A answers:

POINT
EVIDENCE/PROOF
DEVELOPMENT
EVALUATION OF THE POINT

In the conclusion:
WEIGHING UP POINTS
OVERALL EVALUATION
JUDGEMENT

part B answers:

POINT
DEVELOPMENT
EVALUATION OF THE POINT/HISTORIOGRAPHICAL ANALYSIS/WEIGHT OF THE HISTORIAN'S ARGUMENT

In the conclusion:
WEIGHING UP POINTS
OVERALL EVALUATION
JUDGEMENT

any ammendments?
Oooooh, I'm loving that plan...I might just have to steal it
By the way, how many other historians' views do you think we should include as evidence of wider reading??? I try to drop in a view about three times in an essay...do you think that this is enough?
Emjem123x
Report 8 years ago

part A answers:

POINT
EVIDENCE/PROOF
DEVELOPMENT
EVALUATION OF THE POINT

In the conclusion:
WEIGHING UP POINTS
OVERALL EVALUATION
JUDGEMENT

part B answers:

POINT
DEVELOPMENT

In the conclusion:
WEIGHING UP POINTS
OVERALL EVALUATION
JUDGEMENT

any ammendments?
likelikelike this
we were told something very similar...

Introduction for part A

Say there are areas of agreement and disagreement amidst the sources, summarise them basically and do a quick one-liner as to how you will structure your essay.
icyescape
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oooooh, I'm loving that plan...I might just have to steal it
By the way, how many other historians' views do you think we should include as evidence of wider reading??? I try to drop in a view about three times in an essay...do you think that this is enough?
well it is only needed in the part B questions. Because the controversies is where the opinions or views of historians really differ.

And there really isn't a set quota is there? You don't need to mention the names of the historian's views you are quoting/using though. But if you are a good enough student, implicit hints of wider reading will show in your essay anyways.
icyescape
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Emjem123x)
likelikelike this
we were told something very similar...

Introduction for part A

ah yes I forgot to include that!
will edit the post.
Emjem123x
Report 8 years ago
well it is only needed in the part B questions. Because the controversies is where the opinions or views of historians really differ.

And there really isn't a set quota is there? You don't need to mention the names of the historian's views you are quoting/using though. But if you are a good enough student, implicit hints of wider reading will show in your essay anyways.
Apparently, Geoff or whatever he's called who sets the exam is mates with one of our teachers who teaches Tudor history...but apparently, we can still get an A without any extra historians in however, it is easier to give a student an A if they include them.

For section B, you'll only need to know historians of a certain historiographical school e.g. if you do the New Deal controversy you'll need to know progressive historians names (e.g. Commager, Schlesinger) and conservative historians names (e.g. Hofstadter, Flynn) to contextualise the sources; so if one source presents a progressive viewpoint then you can support the source by naming other historians from that school of thought.
icyescape
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Apparently, Geoff or whatever he's called who sets the exam is mates with one of our teachers who teaches Tudor history...but apparently, we can still get an A without any extra historians in however, it is easier to give a student an A if they include them.

For section B, you'll only need to know historians of a certain historiographical school e.g. if you do the New Deal controversy you'll need to know progressive historians names (e.g. Commager, Schlesinger) and conservative historians names (e.g. Hofstadter, Flynn) to contextualise the sources; so if one source presents a progressive viewpoint then you can support the source by naming other historians from that school of thought.
• Teachers should not regard the requirements of Section B section as being an historiographical study. This is not the case and it is perfectly possible for a student to reach the highest level without historiographical references. Such references may gain credit, but as with other evidence used by a student, it is the effectiveness of deployment that ultimately determines the mark awarded.
• Students are not required to reel off a list of historians or a list of interpretations. They are also not required to recognise Historians, or different interpretations such as Marxist or revisionist interpretations in the provided sources.
• Students should be able to adopt a multi-causal / multi-faceted approach and recognise that different writers or often different extracts from different writers lay emphasis on different factors or aspects. They are required to recognise the differences in the views and/or differences in the emphasis in the extracts with which they are presented.

this is from the guidance document, attached below.
so all you really need to do is identify, develop, prove and evaluate the differing opinions and discriminate the weight that a particular historian places on one factor.
Attached files
Emjem123x
Report 8 years ago
• Teachers should not regard the requirements of Section B section as being an historiographical study. This is not the case and it is perfectly possible for a student to reach the highest level without historiographical references. Such references may gain credit, but as with other evidence used by a student, it is the effectiveness of deployment that ultimately determines the mark awarded.
• Students are not required to reel off a list of historians or a list of interpretations. They are also not required to recognise Historians, or different interpretations such as Marxist or revisionist interpretations in the provided sources.
• Students should be able to adopt a multi-causal / multi-faceted approach and recognise that different writers or often different extracts from different writers lay emphasis on different factors or aspects. They are required to recognise the differences in the views and/or differences in the emphasis in the extracts with which they are presented.

this is from the guidance document, attached below.
so all you really need to do is identify, develop, prove and evaluate the differing opinions and discriminate the weight that a particular historian places on one factor.

This exam just perplexes me at times
Cannot wait till 15.30 on Wednesday.
Individual
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh thank God for that! I so could not be bothered to learn about the Fair Deal! And I see that you live in Norwich...me too! What college do you go to??
And Clements is ancient! Wow, he must have so much experience of teaching this topic...you really are so lucky to have him.
I don't actually go to sixth form in Norwich, i live outside it but i put Norwich as my location as it is the nearest recognisable place :p:

He does have alot of experience, he even taught my mum and my auntie :eek: It's really quite strange, i walked into the classroom for the first time and he said "You must be Nixon" (Referring to my second name), "You look a lot like your mother did, how is she?", i was like :eek3:

I'm not quite sure how long he has been teaching this topic for, long enough to be able to quote himself from the book :p: He is retiring this year though!
icyescape
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This exam just perplexes me at times
Cannot wait till 15.30 on Wednesday.
i knowww
then all i'll have left is 3 maths papers. woooo

i can't belv i might be able to pull off A2 history in a year.
jessicaxlofc
Report 8 years ago
I have English Lit too!! Are you doing the Elements of the Gothic AQA exam?
Yes! My hand is going to be aching by Thursday! What books you studying? I'm doing the Bloody Chamber, Wuthering Heights, Mac B and the Pardoners Tale...fun fun fun!
Emjem123x
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jessicaxlofc)
Yes! My hand is going to be aching by Thursday! What books you studying? I'm doing the Bloody Chamber, Wuthering Heights, Mac B and the Pardoners Tale...fun fun fun!
Oooo i'm doing 'The Bloody Chamber' aussi !
oh & 'Frankenstein' and 'The White Devil'

I'm hoping to write on 'Frankenstein' for part A (q providing)
Which Carter stories are you focusing on?
jessicaxlofc
Report 8 years ago
Oooo i'm doing 'The Bloody Chamber' aussi !
oh & 'Frankenstein' and 'The White Devil'

I'm hoping to write on 'Frankenstein' for part A (q providing)
Which Carter stories are you focusing on?
Im pretty confident about the bloody chamber, the tiger's bride, courtship of mr lyon and the snow child ( because its the shortest and easy to remember). I am little bit worried about the exam, my teachers says i dont put enough technical detail into my essays (!) but i find i hard as we have to remember quotes. How are you finding revision?
Emjem123x
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jessicaxlofc)
Im pretty confident about the bloody chamber, the tiger's bride, courtship of mr lyon and the snow child ( because its the shortest and easy to remember). I am little bit worried about the exam, my teachers says i dont put enough technical detail into my essays (!) but i find i hard as we have to remember quotes. How are you finding revision?
I’ve just wrote a hell of a lot of essays! I’m fairly confident with section B as it’s only twenty minutes approx per text and I think I’ve managed to get my head around strong intros & conclusions.

At first I found it difficult to remember quotes but I stuck them all around places in my house so whilst I’m brushing my teeth there’s a couple from ‘The White Devil’ there etc. Odd but I’ve found it useful. Also, I feel if you learn quite generic quotes you can make them fit for certain questions, plus you don’t need to know really long ones, just snippets really. I like ‘The Snow Child’ even though it’s really short like you said, it has some good Gothic themes in, alongside ‘The Bloody Chamber’ and ‘The Erl-King’ I think I will have my back covered for Carter.
jessicaxlofc
Report 8 years ago
I think with Section B just need to make sure that I get some good points down for each text and avoiding rambling on as I wont have time to comment on all the texts. I hope the questions are straight forward because otherwise i find i dont answer the question if they are more complicated and 'wordy'! But never mind back to Hoover and blaming his inadequacies for the depression!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (518)
80.56%
Leave (125)
19.44%

Watched Threads