What's considered a 'high' SAT score? Watch

ragnar_jonsson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by othersideoftheworld)
Hey- just got my SAT score online, it's the first time I'd sat it and was convinced I'd flunked it.
Anyway: 650 maths, 730 writing, 800 reading.
I'm thinking of the Ivies - specifically the H-Bomb, Yale, Princeton - and wanted to know if this score is good enough? I mean, 2180 is kind of in the realms of possibility, but that 650 in maths... Ouch.
Additional info: I'm British, so would slightly lower SAT scores be seen in the context of my not having studied and been prepared for the SAT like a US student would have?
Thanks in advance
x
I spoke to two Harvard admissions officers and they consider the SAT preparation offered in your area - if there is some sort of SAT preparation center or programs in your district, they will assume you've had the opportunity to take these courses and your scores will be higher. Furthermore, since you are British, I believe they will assume you are as fluent in English as any American applicant. I can believe they will be a bit more lenient towards a student from Ghana than they might be to a British applicant based on the general English competency and preparatory course availability.

Bottom line: don't get below 2200. If you can't get higher, hopefully you've got some amazing extracurriculars or awards. Sadly, good grades don't usually make up for a low score.
ash13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Like other posters have said, aim for as high SAT scores as you can get. At this point, everybody here has the time to take the SAT at least once more this autumn if they feel like they need to.

Similarly, everybody probably has things they know they need to work a bit on. If you feel like you have solid scores at the moment, focus on other areas of your application you might be a little weak at - e.g. if you feel like your SAT2s will require a lot of studying new material, put the effort in there, or if you are lacking in ECs, try to pick up something new in the summer.

Finally, if you already have the results of your first SAT sitting, and are feeling a bit nervous, don't get too worried. It's hard taking an exam in a totally new format in a hall full of strangers, but things might be easier when you retake. Plus, now you know which bits gave you trouble, whether its timekeeping or the essay. There are always exceptions to the rules (I guess I'm one of them - I got just 630 in the maths part of my SAT, but somehow managed to get into Harvard), and admissions officers don't look soley at the SATs, though they are a very important part of it.
for no reason
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
oh yeah another random question, (sorry it took me ages to reply as i started this thread!) how many subject tests is everyone taking?

i'm going to do math ii and literature, i've looked at some physics books but it seems rather a lot harder than AS physics so i'm worried about doing badly in it and wasting time when i could have been revising for the other 2 :/

but i'm not sure if taking 2 will disadvantage me especially if i'm thinking of the big ones.. most of them (apart from harvard and georgetown i think) only require 2 subject tests, but i'm assuming most people will be taking more?
ragnar_jonsson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by for no reason)
oh yeah another random question, (sorry it took me ages to reply as i started this thread!) how many subject tests is everyone taking?

i'm going to do math ii and literature, i've looked at some physics books but it seems rather a lot harder than AS physics so i'm worried about doing badly in it and wasting time when i could have been revising for the other 2 :/

but i'm not sure if taking 2 will disadvantage me especially if i'm thinking of the big ones.. most of them (apart from harvard and georgetown i think) only require 2 subject tests, but i'm assuming most people will be taking more?
I'd aim for 3 if you plan on applying to Harvard/Georgetown. It will strengthen your other applications as well. If the colleges you are applying to only require 2 SAT2 scores, just take 2 unless you feel the inclination to take more. It's not necessary - helpful if you can be bothered though.
Viceroy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Reckon a high SAT score is 700+ in each area. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.35%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (163)
40.45%
Nope, not that interesting (162)
40.2%

Watched Threads