Career At Sea? Watch

j-g-15
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lscott22)
Thanks for the luck! You said you were with a cruise company, which one? And if you don't mid me asking, what qualifications do you have and at what grade? -Don't answer if you don't want to, I understand that people dont like doing that on TSR.

Thanks
Did I? Sorry i didn't mean to, I did have an offer from a cruise company, Holland America Line through Viking Recruitment Ltd, but I declined that offer. I'm being sponsored by Trinity House instead, so I can basically get some variety whilst I'm doing my training.

I've got GCSEs, A* to B grades, 3 AS levels, Physics B, Politics B, Chemistry C and I'm sitting exams in June to get an A Level in Maths, hoping for an A. But if I were you I wouldnt hugely worry about grades etc, as long as you've got decent grades, and a decent interest in extra cirricular activities etc, they're looking more for what kind of person you are, the academics are only to give you some of the basics for when you start your training.
Lscott22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by j-g-15)
they're looking more for what kind of person you are, the academics are only to give you some of the basics for when you start your training.
So what kind of person are they looking for?

A team worker or someone who is independent? Should I show my humorous side or stay serious, I mean I am not a loud person.

Just what sort of stuff should I be writing down in the application and what should I be saying I am like at an interview?
j-g-15
Report 8 years ago
Well I can't exactly tell you what to say at interview, what to write on your application form etc. They aren't looking for just one type of person, as I've said before it's how you come across. At my interviews there was a bit of humour in it, but there was nothing forced. Yeah they're looking for both qualities, you need to be able to work well as part of a team because that's what the jobs about, but if you're going in as an officer there's also some need to be independant, the ability to use initiative etc. All in all the best thing to do is be yourself (unless being yourself means getting p****d from 11am onwards, shouting and swearing, then I'd recommend not!!), and just make sure you put accross your best qualities. They'll be able to tell from meeting you if you're the kind of person they want to sponsor. Best policy is to be honest overall
Oldernotwiser
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not read it all...OP have you actually been to sea other than as a passenger on a ship or ferry?
Lscott22
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oldernotwiser)
Not read it all...OP have you actually been to sea other than as a passenger on a ship or ferry?
Yep! I do safety boat duties every month, and I have been to Greenland via Scotland during a storm. I am a qualified Lifeguard as well if that helps. Why the question?
Oldernotwiser
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lscott22)
Yep! I do safety boat duties every month, and I have been to Greenland via Scotland during a storm. I am a qualified Lifeguard as well if that helps. Why the question?

Sounds fine...i was just musing as to whether RN/MN got many applicant who thought the career appealed but had not actually been to sea in an active capacity whether leisure or otherwise.
Lscott22
Rep:
?
Yeh, Someone on the Facebook page for Clyde marine training asked if he could join, but he gets sea sick and can't swim?!?!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (809)
80.42%
Leave (197)
19.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed