Turn on thread page Beta

Diet coke watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To all the people saying it gives cancer, cripples your stomach, etc. that's not if you're drinking safe amounts. The maximum daily dosage is 50mg per kilogram of weight and unless you're drinking 20+ cans a day, you're going to get nowhere near that. If you're drinking up to 5 cans a day, you're not going to really see any damage.

ReputationRep:
    I recall reading somewhere that it does something to your metabolism so you get hungrier/crave carbs earlier? Might be bs, but it's something that stuck with me clearly..

ReputationRep:
    No sugar in it, but it has chemical sweeteners which are not healthy at all. It's probably more beneficial to have the sugar than the sweeteners.

ReputationRep:
    Diet Coke tastes like crap, it's like really really watered down coke. I still have no clue why people drink the stuff. The difference between it and Coke Zero isn't actually in how much sugar they have. Diet Coke is the diet version of 'New' Coke, it wasn't changed when 'New' Coke went back to the old recipe, thats why it tastes slightly different. Coke Zero is the diet version of the traditional and current recipe.

ReputationRep:
    It tastes horrible? And causes acid erosion and other problems to your teeth..and the sweetners increase the chances of brain tumors and leisons so..I'd rather not risk it love dr pepper tho dr pepper zero tastes of flavoured water
    http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html
    it's long term as well as short term, so doesn't really matter about your daily consumption..

ReputationRep:
    For those saying coke tastes better, yes, your point?

And cheers for the comments. I don't believe the cancer stuff but the acid erosion etc... means I will keep it down to an occasional glass to mix up days of water .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoRdShRaPnEl)
    For those saying coke tastes better, yes, your point?

And cheers for the comments. I don't believe the cancer stuff but the acid erosion etc... means I will keep it down to an occasional glass to mix up days of water .
    Then why'd you ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woozeybear)
    Then why'd you ask?
    What?

I asked.. some people said if I drink 15 cans a day I might just about increase my risk of cancer.

Then some said about the chemicals erode the teeth and can upset your stomach, so I went right ok.. I won't drink it often?

ReputationRep:
    What?

I asked.. some people said if I drink 15 cans a day I might just about increase my risk of cancer.

Then some said about the chemicals erode the teeth and can upset your stomach, so I went right ok.. I won't drink it often?
    Lol ok I read it as you were saying ok thanks butill still drink it dispite you all saying it can increase the risk of cancer, brain tumors, alzehimers etc.as in you were gonna drink it anyway from the start

but I get where you're coming from sorta..anyway dr pepper is sooo much better

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

Christ your dumb.

As in the sense I have always now and again had pizza, I occasionally have chips. Everyone now and again cheats, grow the **** up.

The irony of your signature is hilarious.
    How did i know you would try and add that slant on it. What is the point in drinking diet coke? do you think i like the amazing flavourful water i drink? no but i drink it all day everyday as i do not slack with my diet/hydration if i have a cheat day every once in a while why would i worry about the calories of things? i would only start worrying about things like that if it wasn't once in a while, which clearly for you it isn't.

Aware me of the irony in my sig?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, diet is so much nicer than regular coke. It's more refreshing! The catch is due to having no sugar they make up for that by adding other crap. It's very acidic and rots your teeth more than regular coke.

ReputationRep:
    Lol that's how I read it :p: but what's wrong with pizza :eek: :p:
    depend on your goals, i for one am shedding bodyfat at the minute so pizza is not really on the menu because of the carbs it doesnt fit in with my macros and it is useless on carb refeed days because of the fat.

ReputationRep:
    All the aspartame stuff is tabloid bullcrud. You could only do any harm to yourself through it if you took it up the veins by the pintful, which i suppose would avoid the only real side-effect of diet coke which is browning teeth.

Enjoy?

After the evaluation, the ADA reaffirmed the conclusion of regulatory and scientific authorities around the world that aspartame is not associated with adverse effects for the general population, including hypersensitivity reactions, elevated blood methanol or formate levels, or brain cancers. This conclusion statement was given a “Grade 1,” the highest grade on the EAL scale, signifying there is good evidence supporting the conclusion.
    EFSA’s Scientific Panel...stated, "Overall, the Panel concluded on the basis of all the evidence currently available...there is no indication of any genotoxic or carcinogenic potential of aspartame
    “The claims being made – and widely reported in the media – are doing a great public disservice,” says NZFSA...Aspartame is one of the most studied substances in the world and continues to retain one of the highest Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) levels of any additive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellingham)
    depend on your goals, i for one am shedding bodyfat at the minute so pizza is not really on the menu because of the carbs it doesnt fit in with my macros and it is useless on carb refeed days because of the fat.
    Fair enough I guess..But why not eat food you enjoy and just exercise more? Unless you don't like pizza..(I'm trying not to offend cos you're prob working hard but what's the point?)

ReputationRep:
    It's amazing! I never drink regular coke so the taste doesn't bother me, and it's better than water.

Apparently the catch is that because it's sweet tasting, your stomach expects food and makes you crave sweet things. I don't know whether it's true though - I heard it from a diet coke hater.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough I guess..But why not eat food you enjoy and just exercise more? Unless you don't like pizza..(I'm trying not to offend cos you're prob working hard but what's the point?)
    When i say i'm losing body fat it's not because i'm a lard arse i got into bodybuilding and i have spend a good deal of time putting on weight so it's now time to reduce the bodyfat i have gained along the way and show of my lean mass gains. It is much easier to do with a good diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellingham)
    When i say i'm losing body fat it's not because i'm a lard arse i got into bodybuilding and i have spend a good deal of time putting on weight so it's now time to reduce the bodyfat i have gained along the way and show of my lean mass gains. It is much easier to do with a good diet.
    Yeah I get that..I guess I just don't see the fascination by I guess it's a sorta competition and makes you feel better about yourself so good on you

ReputationRep:
    Some people say it's addictive, and that it can cause cancer.

I'll vouch for the addictive part, I get diet coke cravings. Mmmmm.

ReputationRep:
    I am addicted to pepsi max lol ... its yummy ... but i do tend to buy the smaller 1 litre bottles and only allow myself one of those every other week as im sure all the crap in it isnt great for me lol but i enjoy it :P I would say it makes me crave sweet things after i drink it, so coulddd contribute to weight gain ifff i then go an eat the sweet things i crave!

I started on fizzy water as a substitute, s'ok, bit more exciting the normal water (of which i drink 1.5 litres of a day regardless!) ...

ReputationRep:
    It's apparently 'bad' for you. I dont think anyone actually knows how its bad or what it can do to you.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.