Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farooqi bean)
    Hello! Going to Notts for law too :yep: What are you going to do LLB or BA? I don't think they ask us to decide for a while, after we get our grades methinks.
    Hi,
    I am going to do the LLB (3 years). They have already seen my grades and updated their offer to unconditional. So, i will be in Nottingham this September. Hope to see you there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Whether Newcastle is a Russell Group or not doesn't really matter. The Russell Group is only a lobbying group of the largest research intensive universities. Leicester is in the 1994 Group of smaller universities. Although the Russell Group collectively get the majority of research funding, this does not mean all individual Russell Group universities reiceve more than a 1994 Group university. Leicester is still research intensive with a considerable research income.

In fact, you really need to look at this at a departmental level. Leicester actually did better than Newcastle in the last RAE (2008). 5% Leicester's research submitted was of world class in originality and quality, and 35% international class. Newcastle didn't submit any world class research, with 40% international class and fewer of Newcastle's staff were submitted. So Leicester's law department has a slightly higher "research power". Not only this, but how much research actually benefits an undergraduate can be questioned.

Leicester is still a fair distance from London, a couple of hours or so (Newcastle is about five hours by car, two and a half by train). So it's not like you can easily go to London for a night out in either city :p: But you don't need to be near London to have fun (and there are many places near London which, believe me, aren't fun!) . Newcastle in particular is a vibrant and exciting city and a lot can be said for Leicester also.

About the accomodation/halls, techincally Newcastle isn't older than Leicester. Leicester is actually the oldest. Newcastle didn't gain its independence and become a university in its own right until a few years after Leicester was given a university charter. Although Newcastle can trace its history back further, into the 19th century, the vast majority of the university was built from the 1960s onwards including the law department and accomodation. It might be worth posting in the Newcastle forum to find out more about the halls.

The difference between the two academically is negligible. So factors like cost of living, campus university v. city university and city life will probably be the deciding factor.

Personally speak, I'd go for Leicester, although that's only because I've lived near Newcastle all of my life so I'd prefer a change of scenery. If I were from elsewhere in the country, then I'd probably choose Newcastle on the basis of the city (compact, easy to navigate, reasonable cost of living, based in the city centre). You have the benefit of the city, with good access to a wide variety of countryside on your doorstep which, for me, is a big plus. Sandy beaches of Northumberland, hills, valleys, dales and National Parks in every direction.

This isn't to say Leicester's without merit. It's law department rivals Newcastle, is perhaps even marginally better, and it does offer what is, in my opinion, a nice campus.

I wouldn't let me views influence you too much as what I look for in a university or city might be completely different to what you look for.
    What about 40 million pounds more? Statistics came from the University of Leicester's website: http://www2.le.ac.uk/ebulletin/news/...-18.9059230222

Note, i only mentioned Russell Group only because it means that its members are research powerhouses attracting a lot of research money from the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dantethealb)
    Hi,
    I am going to do the LLB (3 years). They have already seen my grades and updated their offer to unconditional. So, i will be in Nottingham this September. Hope to see you there.
    You must have impressed them then, this is so cool, they have people from all over the world on the law course at Notts, im incredibly excited, how bout you?

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely go for Newcastle....it does have a better reputation after all =) Good luck making your choice!))

ReputationRep:
    You must have impressed them then, this is so cool, they have people from all over the world on the law course at Notts, im incredibly excited, how bout you?
    I am really excited also. Nottingham seems to be a nice little city. The University seems to be top notch. The weather is going to be a challenge though. Oh well, southern France is not that far away. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasha_08)
    I would definitely go for Newcastle....it does have a better reputation after all =) Good luck making your choice!))

Birmingham or Nottingham are probably slightly rated above either for Law and Newcastle's longer established Law School may also put it in good stead but I don't think that the university that created DNA profiling (Leicester) has much to worry about for reputation overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacqerin)
    So going to Leicester, even though the university on the whole is higher ranked than Newcastle in the Times Online League Table, won't really get me into a better company or something? :confused:
    The university on the whole makes no difference to your application, what matters is what law school you went to. Don't under-estimate this in law, where you go is very important and defines your future, albeit to a lesser extent once you receive a degree class and have strong EC's. In terms of the Bar neither will really put you in good stead, certainly not that I've come across, but if it's solicitor that you want to be then all is well.

The league tables are junk, they don't tell the full story, don't use it. Either way Newcastle is probably the better law school.

BTW for a rough idea: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1167504

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, can you please take your discussion about Nottingham Law to a more appropriate thread/to PM so that this thread stays on topic?

ReputationRep:
    I am really excited also. Nottingham seems to be a nice little city. The University seems to be top notch. The weather is going to be a challenge though. Oh well, southern France is not that far away. lol
    I will also be joining you both at Nottingham Law next year. That is if I actually stay of TSR for a bit and actually do some revision so I can meet my offer :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    Hi guys, can you please take your discussion about Nottingham Law to a more appropriate thread/to PM so that this thread stays on topic?
    Ya sure, sorry :sad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 23, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.