Turn on thread page Beta

Dispatches: Britain's Witch Children watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    No, it's not. :sigh:

ikr? Africans are so stoopid :pierre:

:eyebrow:
    for believing in witchcraft and paying a huge sum of money for so-called deliverances in 2010 yes. clearly not all first generation africans are like this but its entrenched within the culture and its rather sickening.

edit- this is from a fellow african.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    Being Nigerian, this kind of stuff isn't as shocking as it should be.

Which isn't a good thing :nah:
    Nothing like getting boiling oil on your face for being a wizard.

ReputationRep:
    Without using the old-fashioned and absurd term of 'heretic'/'witch', those people are ungodly and obtuse. They are ignorant of the Bible and too superstitious, like the Catholic Church in the Middle Ages with their indulgences and chantries.

I am an Evangelical, which is more conservative than the Anglican Church and the Catholic Church, but it is not 'extreme' at all. Puritanism is like the Christian version of Fascism; look there if you want 'extreme'.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jackeeeee)
    for believing in witchcraft and paying a huge sum of money for so-called deliverances in 2010 yes. clearly not all first generation africans are like this but its entrenched within the culture and its rather sickening.
    It's not exactly "entrenched in African culture". It's just something that has slowly filtered from old-time African beliefs but has become quite big in Africa.

It's not exactly "entrenched in African culture". It's just something that has slowly filtered from old-time African beliefs but has become quite big in Africa.
    Did you just use a ten letter word? Witch! YOU ARE THE WHORE OF BABYLON!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    glorious multicultural enrichment
    This.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Wesssty)
    Nothing like getting boiling oil on your face for being a wizard.
    Yup! Used to happen all the time when I was a lil kid... :sadnod:

Now I just get the occasional cat 'o nine tails to the back :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    entrenched definition: 1.If something such as power, a custom, or an idea is entrenched, it is firmly established, so that it would be difficult to change it. Verb
    ■...a series of measures designed to entrench democracy and the rule of law. V n
    ■These dictators have entrenched themselves politically and are difficult to move.

doesn't look like this attitude that's been around for donkey's years is going anywhere does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Ahh, evangelists, providing lulz the world over. :facepalm2:
    WOT CHANNEL???
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Did you just use a ten letter word? Witch! YOU ARE THE WHORE OF BABYLON!
    :rofl:

I LOL'ed far too much at this...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by S.R)
    WOT CHANNEL???
    Channel 4, but it's finished now. Channel 4 +1? (if that exists)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. My built in-freeview on my TV has failed so I will try looking online now.

Yeah I'm watching it on C4 +1 right now; Channel 135 on Sky :top:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jackeeeee)
    entrenched definition: 1.If something such as power, a custom, or an idea is entrenched, it is firmly established, so that it would be difficult to change it. Verb
    ■...a series of measures designed to entrench democracy and the rule of law. V n
    ■These dictators have entrenched themselves politically and are difficult to move.

doesn't look like this attitude that's been around for donkey's years is going anywhere does it?
    I know what entrenched means :facepalm2:

I'm just saying that this emerging "witch" idea is something that has come from olden African beliefs AND hasn't been too prominent in modern-day Africa for an incredibly long time. I would agree that it doesn't seem as if the ideas about it are gonan change anytime soon though.

From what that Anonymous woman says, it seems that the pastors in churches like these have some kind of role as a shaman just like back in the day :ahee: as if they are the ones special enough to be able to speak with God and see witches :creep:

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah I'm watching it on C4 +1 right now; Channel 135 on Sky :top:
    Good man! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I know what entrenched means :facepalm2:

I'm just saying that this emerging "witch" idea is something that has come from olden African beliefs AND hasn't been too prominent in modern-day Africa for an incredibly long time. I would agree that it doesn't seem as if the ideas about it are gonan change anytime soon though.
    from what i know from me ma'n'pa the whole witchraft phenomena has always been around in Africa- its maybe just emerging in Britain because of the increased immigrant African population. Regardless of whatever word i used- its been prevalent for centuries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    glorious multicultural enrichment
    As soon as I saw the thread title I knew right wing ********s such as yourself and Cesare would flock to it with your ignorant comments. I am pretty sure you will find more Nigerians in your average Russell Group uni than are involved in this sort of thing, but that wouldn't make very good viewing for Dispatches would it?:rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    As soon as I saw the thread title I knew right wing ********s such as yourself and Cesare would flock to it with your ignorant comments. I am pretty sure you will find more Nigerians in your average Russell Group uni than are involved in this sort of thing, but that wouldn't make very good viewing for Dispatches would it?:rolleyes:
    ZING!!!

I tip my hat to you, brotha! :top2:

I bet these nobs stink of shea butter :pierre:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.