HTC Desire vs Samsung Galaxy S Watch

Hippysnake
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by EvenStevens)
Galaxy S has top end hardware. The hummingbird CPU + the PowerVR GPU means it has something ridiculous like 40% the GPU power of a PS3. As soon as Android 2.2 comes out for it, it'll destroy every other Android phone in terms of specs.
I call bull until you prove it. 40% of a PS3s GPU power is a stupid amount of power for a handheld device. That's like, 50% of an Xbox 360s power, 150% of a Wiis power, 2 PS2s, 2 Gamecubes, 150% of an Xbox etc.
payday5950
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
P.s. I wrote this reply using my desire. Didn't even have to get out of bed to get my laptop.

Oh I have massive hands btw so if I find this keyboard insane, normal sized hands will cream over it.
Diogeues
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Desire wins!
yoyo462001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not sure why people are saying the Desire is the better phone. Apart from Sense UI (and maybe Samsungs previous handling of their other Android phones) the Galaxy is a much better all around phone. The battery life, screen camera and 3d rendering are all much better. And remember Samsung have stated all their Galaxy range will get 2.2.

Go into the store and check out the Galaxy S's Super AMOLED screen and see the difference.
Mej
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
HTC Desire, I am getting this once my contract finishes!
Cherudim
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by pakizrulez)
i know both of these phones are hot in the market right now, but i would prefer peoples opinions on which phone they think is better and why
I was in the exact same situation as you yesterday, but the Samsung won it for me. I ordered mine an hour ago

The desire is not the better phone tbh, sure the phone looks nice in terms of its form factor and sense UI, but the Samsung will give you better performance, which is surely what you need? Well, for me it is at least lol
sleekchic
Badges: 2
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Cherudim)
I was in the exact same situation as you yesterday, but the Samsung won it for me. I ordered mine an hour ago

The desire is not the better phone tbh, sure the phone looks nice in terms of its form factor and sense UI, but the Samsung will give you better performance, which is surely what you need? Well, for me it is at least lol
How?
mprules
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I had the desire, sold it for the Samsung and would never look back! it does lag in certain situations a little bit however overall much faster than the desire. Plus the Super AMOLED screen is far brighter!
cowsgoquack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
galaxy without a doubt
Cherudim
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sleekchic)
How?
The Hummingbird processor on the Samsung outperforms that of the Desire's snapdragon processor particularly in graphics processing; on graphically intensive games people who've tested both noticed more lag on the Desire. Also, the Sense UI on the Desire eats up more memory and battery than the GS's Touchwiz 3.0.

Don't get me wrong they're both great phones though, just picking holes for the sake of it here.
chaz1992
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Windows Mobile
Symbian OS
Symbian OS

Lolno.
Android lover?

In which case HTC Evo 4G or the Samsung epic.

Both are ready for when phone companies finally decide to change over from GSM.
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd say get the Samsung. I prefer the looks and if I'm not mistaken it has a superior screen.
shorty.loves.angels
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have the desire and have had 0 problems. Battery life isn't amazing but with the amount I use I can ardly moan at having to charge it once a day.

Personally I don't like Samsungs and after using the HTC I was impressed so went for it and definitely don't regret it.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by chaz1992)
Android lover?

In which case HTC Evo 4G or the Samsung epic.

Both are ready for when phone companies finally decide to change over from GSM.
Uh, that won't ever happen in Europe, GSM is too established and consumers wouldn't like the fact that CDMA handsets (at the moment) do not have swappable SIM-card equivalents.
EvenStevens
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hippysnake)
I call bull until you prove it. 40% of a PS3s GPU power is a stupid amount of power for a handheld device. That's like, 50% of an Xbox 360s power, 150% of a Wiis power, 2 PS2s, 2 Gamecubes, 150% of an Xbox etc.
I'm merely going on triangles-per-second numbers - probably should have phrased it better. Obviously this isnt everything as it takes more than a fast GPU to have nice graphics, but it's a pretty impressive number when you stack it up against the competition.

The Galaxy S's PowerVR GPU can produce 90,000,000 tps,
Compare this to the PS3's GPU - 250,000,000 tps
The 360's GPU - 500,000,000 tps

http://ezinearticles.com/?Samsung-Ga...GPU&id=4068036
Hippysnake
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm merely going on triangles-per-second numbers - probably should have phrased it better. Obviously this isnt everything as it takes more than a fast GPU to have nice graphics, but it's a pretty impressive number when you stack it up against the competition.

The Galaxy S's PowerVR GPU can produce 90,000,000 tps,
Compare this to the PS3's GPU - 250,000,000 tps
The 360's GPU - 500,000,000 tps

http://ezinearticles.com/?Samsung-Ga...GPU&id=4068036
The GPU might be able to pump out said number of triangles, but we have no idea of pixel shaders/vertex shader pipelines or whether the 1ghz CPU could actually tolerate that.

Honestly, do you really think a handheld phone could render 40% of a PS3s power? There's bound to be some sort of catch or bottleneck somewhere, and I'm thinking bandwidth maybe an issue.
Aisha M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by payday5950)
The galaxy s may be more powerful but the desire is literally less than a month away from getting froyo (Android 2.2) which significantly improves performance speed (some benchmark tests indicate a 450% improvement) and also allows full flash 10. it should also improve battery life.

I doubt the galaxy will have 2.2 for a while as Samsung will need to reskin the new android version which can take a while.

I've had a desire for about 3/4 months and it is easily the best phone on the market.(however its pretty close between the iPhone 4 depending on what you want from the phone). I have only 1 gripe: battery, but I have a spare battery and charge my phone everyday anyway so I'm not concerned anymore.

I would advise reading the reviews from the many tech website out there like engadget, techradar etc.

Start here: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...d-today-645440

P.s HTC sense is still the best android skin, and the sense keyboard is the best I've ever used. Believe me this is more important than you might think.
will the HTC wildfire get the froyo(android 2.2) as well? and what dyu think of the wildfire in comparison to the desire? (good/bad points)
dont yu find the size of the desire too big(less compact)?
yoyo462001
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aisha M)
will the HTC wildfire get the froyo(android 2.2) as well? and what dyu think of the wildfire in comparison to the desire? (good/bad points)
All HTC phones released this year will get froyo before the end of the year. So maybe around october/november.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aisha M)
The Wildfire should get Froyo around the same time as the Desire, which will hopefully be late Summer/early Autumn, Q3 in other words.
Aisha M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by yoyo462001)
All HTC phones released this year will get froyo before the end of the year. So maybe around october/november.
so if i buy a wildfire now, il be able to update it to froyo wen it cumz out?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (239)
27.28%
No (637)
72.72%

Watched Threads