Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    I think any subject should be easy to write about if you're interested in it enough to want to study it at uni. I know I couldn't shut up when I wrote mine :p:

I think the hardest are when you've applied to different courses.
    :ditto:

Many people would find it hard to write a PS for Podiatry but that's because they don't want to study it and have no interest in it, but I do so writing a PS for it was easy peasy.

I suppose the hardest would be combined or joint courses because you have to portray an interest and understanding in 2 or more subjects and show how studying them together is beneficial, but if that's what you want to do it, again, it shouldn't be that difficult.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Accounting I'd DEFINITELY agree with.

However, personally I'm having a fairly easy time writing my Chemical Engineering PS. There's lots to talk about!
    What's difficult about an engineering personal statement?

I'd always thought that it'd be much more about the competitiveness of the course that determines how difficult the personal statement is. I spent half an hour on my personal statement, and it got accepted by Edinburgh. I use the example of Edinburgh because it turns away people who want to do other subjects there in droves because it's really competitive (but nor for engineering).

Apart from Cambridge and Imperial, I can't think of anywhere else that'd be competitive for engineering. Edinburgh wasn't, and I'm sure Strathy are letting in people who are below the minimum entry requirements specified on their prospectus (AAAAB).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TheSownRose)

* I've actually often considered, when I'm very bored, writing an optometry PS as if I was still applying for uni (and yes, I do get that bored :p:) - reckon I should?
    DO IT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I know, it's awful. Would be curious to know if they actually got offers from it; as a glasses wearer, I'd like to think not.

Sorry, I actually can't because I originally applied for maths and so have a maths PS (for which I essentially followed the outline above ); if I was going to write an optometry PS*, I would use something like this: why I want to study optometry - wear glasses myself, eyes are an elegant organ, sight is important, population ages therefore optometrists are essential; how what I was studying related to optometry and the skills needed for an optometrist; elaborate on any work experience and what I learnt from it, as well as reading (for example, material from the College of Optometrists' library); perhaps something I find particularly interesting about optometry, like 'perfect' lenses; and finish with why they should bother training me to become an optometrist.

* I've actually often considered, when I'm very bored, writing an optometry PS as if I was still applying for uni (and yes, I do get that bored :p:) - reckon I should?
    If they had good grades they would have got in somewhere surely? I dunno how competitive Optometry is.

...Oh... how strange. You were applying for Maths and just thought you'd apply for Optometry as well? Didn't you get an offer from LSE or something? I'm confused.

Why did you put that last sentence in such a small font? Show no shame- you be PROUD of your geekery :p: If you want to write one go for it. It's a valuable pursuit for passing some time in summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessikar)
    Furniture Studies.... i can understand product design mabye but this is too darn weird.

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun....run?n=1021429
    I have always liked sitting down and wish to take my interests into full time study... :P

On a serious note law is hard, it is nearly imposable to write without sounding like the most boring person in history or entering into the cliché.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angela_Beth)
    I'd say if you were applying for a joint course, with two really different subjects in it, eg Biology and French, English and Economics...

It would be hard to be really enthusiastic about two very different subjects in a small space. After that, I'd say I'd really struggle to write about dentistry, computer science, theology, law...
    Theology was brilliant to write about. Don't forget that's it's the study of their history and philosophy and their social effect and so much more! I quite enjoyed writing my PS, but I am quite geeky!

ReputationRep:
    If they had good grades they would have got in somewhere surely? I dunno how competitive Optometry is.

...Oh... how strange. You were applying for Maths and just thought you'd apply for Optometry as well? Didn't you get an offer from LSE or something? I'm confused.

Why did you put that last sentence in such a small font? Show no shame- you be PROUD of your geekery :p: If you want to write one go for it. It's a valuable pursuit for passing some time in summer.
    I'm not so sure, you know. There are only eight optometry courses in the country, so I'm sure they all have better people to make offers to than someone who just mentions it in passing. That said, I know of someone who got into optometry with a pharmacy PS, so...

Yes, I did get an offer from LSE. :yep: I applied for five maths courses originally, but then realised optometry is where my dreams lie in the April of year thirteen, so withdrew from my offer and got into optometry through Clearing.

It's in a small font because it seems strange to have an asterisk point in the same font. You know, I think I actually will - I always have a few hours to spare, and it might be kind of fun. Remind me of the rules - 4000 characters or 47 lines, right?

(Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    DO IT!
    I will.

ReputationRep:
    However, personally I'm having a fairly easy time writing my Chemical Engineering PS. There's lots to talk about!
    How come O_O what did you write? if you don't mind me asking

I have run out of idea of what to say in my PS and just write about chemistry and maths and few of why I want to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    What's difficult about an engineering personal statement?
    That's my point. I said it was EASY. Especially for ChemEng where you can talk about Chemistry as well as Maths/Physics.

I'd always thought that it'd be much more about the competitiveness of the course that determines how difficult the personal statement is. I spent half an hour on my personal statement, and it got accepted by Edinburgh. I use the example of Edinburgh because it turns away people who want to do other subjects there in droves because it's really competitive (but nor for engineering).

Apart from Cambridge and Imperial, I can't think of anywhere else that'd be competitive for engineering. Edinburgh wasn't, and I'm sure Strathy are letting in people who are below the minimum entry requirements specified on their prospectus (AAAAB).
    I wasn't referring to the difficult of entry. I meant the one that would actually be the most difficult to find content for a PS. Engineering's not too difficult cos you can talk about your interest in maths, recent engineering developments, work experience etc.; though things such as Philosophy, History English Lit are still much easier to find content for given the huge amount of accessible literature available.

Actually you'd be interested to hear that Edinburgh's gotten very competitive recently by the way. It used to be VERY uncompetitive I know, but that changed in the last few years for some reason. Now for Engineering at Edinburgh you need AAAAA (4As and a B as an absolute minimum) to stand a reasonable chance I've heard.

ReputationRep:
    dentistry, who the hell can pretend to be exited and inspired by that

ReputationRep:
    Child Studies. Think about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goian123434)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgc1zMJS1C8
    I'm your dentist from little shop of horrors.

ReputationRep:
    I third Dentistry. Possibly Astrobiology (if you can actually study that anywhere), although that's pretty cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sawasdee)
    How come O_O what did you write? if you don't mind me asking

I have run out of idea of what to say in my PS and just write about chemistry and maths and few of why I want to do it.
    I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything but I've been SEVERELY warned against discussing specific personal statement content with any other prospective applicants. I actually typed out some stuff to help you but deleted it all when I remembered this, so really sorry. :sad: You could get some help from PS helpers (i.e. current undergraudates). They're generally realy good.

Here's a tip I can give you though, since you asked very nicely and I feel some bizarre loyalty towards fellow TSRians :p: Chemical Engineering is a subject in its own right, and only draws on aspects of Chemistry and Maths. Make sure you understand the actual material you'll be studying in the degree, and convey that you know this.

I remember being told recently that the last batch of people Manchester interview for ChemEng are people who are either 5th choice medicine applicants or think ChemEng=Chemistry. Make of that what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
    one you dont really want to study... lol x
    This.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    lol, chemical engineering and medicine are a world apart!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goian123434)
    iz u'z lukin for beeef

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything but I've been SEVERELY warned against discussing specific personal statement content with any other prospective applicants. I actually typed out some stuff to help you but deleted it all when I remembered this, so really sorry. You could get some help from PS helpers (i.e. current undergraudates). They're generally realy good.

Here's a tip I can give you though, since you asked very nicely and I feel some bizarre loyalty towards fellow TSRians Chemical Engineering is a subject in its own right, and only draws on aspects of Chemistry and Maths. Make sure you understand the actual material you'll be studying in the degree, and convey that you know this.

I remember being told recently that the last batch of people Manchester interview for ChemEng are people who are either 5th choice medicine applicants or think ChemEng=Chemistry. Make of that what you want.
    Oh no problem at all, I was thinking of writing about oil leak in Mexican gulf, and general stuff, and some about my passionate of maths. Anyway thank you for the reply man

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'm finding languages an absolute ***** to write a PS for, it's so hard to find stuff to actually write about for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stricof)
    Mmmm I would say subjects that require vocational training, at least with special regards to Veterinary, Dentistry and medicine, are probably quite difficult to write. I would think Law isn't that easy to write either.

But its all relative. It depends how much experience (work/life etc) or additions you have to put in the PS.
    Yup because if you wanted to be a doctor, dentist at least you could relate to it. Not everyone goes to a Lawyer so it's difficult to know what the legal profession is like.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Do you have any savings?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.