Turn on thread page Beta

For those of you who play the piano... watch

ReputationRep:
    I hate sight reading. Lots of practise helps though, just random exercises!

ReputationRep:
    Oh no!!! Never liked sightreading, apparantly I 'played by ear'... play the piano in a band, like a school band or something, helped me a LOT!

ReputationRep:
    About 5 years ago I was grade 7 and technically pretty good, regular lessons etc.

Haven't had lessons for years and only get to play properly in uni holidays, and I am way better at sight reading now than I was then. I think it definetely just clicks at some point.

ReputationRep:
    it depends...start low ...maybe something pre=grade 1/grade 1...and simply work through them and use the books you already should have...just go through them...

ReputationRep:
    I was always pretty good at sight reading, even from the very start. 15 or so years on i still would say it was one of my strength on piano

ReputationRep:
    I've just taken my Grade 5 and I've been playing around 6 years and my sight reading is ****. I actually get so pissed off at myself that I can't flipping read it!! It seems so simple in theory: read the notes and play them. But it's not that easy. On the other hand, I find sight reading on my clarinet easy as and I've never had a problem. I think that might be because I play in the school band with my clarinet and you're just trained to sight read. I think something like that would help my piano sight reading but I would never sign up for piano in band because I know I would screw up. Even with clarinet where I can play songs perfectly in practice I always screw up when it's performance time. At least you can hide behind the other clarinettists though whereas with piano it's just you out there. Gah I really want to get good at sight reading! I wish there was a simple way Practise doesn't change it for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swadd)
    How long after you started to play did you become comfortable with sightreading a piece? I'm about to sit my Grade 2 exam and I'm struggling with some of the basic Grade 2 sightreading specimen tests.

Just wondering how long it'll take until I can confidently sit down and play a piece that I've never seen before.
    There are many pianists who can play high standard stuff and remain terrible at sightreading, since you don't just become good at it from frequent playing. Practice for sightreading should indeed be separate from normal practice, but I'd recommend going through normal pieces than sightreading exercises. I suppose after several weeks of constant daily practice you may start improving significantly, but then again it depends on the difficulty of pieces you practice with. I don't know anything in particular to suggest for grade 2, but have a go at some Inventions by Bach (they'll be a challenge).

To be able to just look at a piece and play without hesitation is equatable to looking at a sentence and immediately seeing what it says without the need to analyse it by letter, as we usually have to do when playing notes. Everyone wants to get better at sightreading but not enough to endeavour to learn it as you'd learn a language. Keep the goal as familiarising the keys with the notes on the page rather than mindlessly practicing in the hope that you'll improve because you do it lots.

ReputationRep:
    some of you say i need to look at lots of different music... where can i see a variety of stuff to play thats easy enough?

ReputationRep:
    I'm really not great at sight-reading, and I've been playing for over 12 years!! It does get better though, you just keep having to practise a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Sight reading has always seemed hard for me, i'm working on my grade 8, and I still struggle alot. It seems very unfair, but it just comes easier to some people than others. Try doing duets with your teacher, you can get special books where one page has a 2 hand part for you to play, and the opposite page has a 2 hand part for you're teacher (or a friend) to play, these are good because it means you can't stop playing in the middle, and they often sound really nice!

ReputationRep:
    Been playing 10 years and can still only sight read to not a great level.

After maybe 3 attempts of a not overly complicated piece I could manage to get through it okay, but still not flawlessly.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.