Travel Writing Watch

Jez RR
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
Thanks very much for all the info

I had heard it was very tricky to get published if you have no experience whatsoever of working in either publishing, editing or journalism - which is the case with me. But that Wonderlust link you provided is very useful, and I may well try to submit something there

I'd also read about how you have to tailor each piece to the particular publication, though it sounds like just common sense to do so really! What's the worst submission you ever received? (What was so bad about it, I mean.)
The worst? Far too many to choose from. Typical example would be where I have space for a monthly feature of 1200 words that conjure up the feel of a place, and I get send a 3500 word tract, full of typos, all about how drunk Bill and Ben got on their totally awesome trip to Kavos and it was the best experience of their life. Now that could potentially be a really funny story, but how you tell it is everything. And usually it isn't.

It's worth reading some issues of the intended publication, either in print or online, to get a feel for the kind of thing they are looking for. As a guideline, Wanderlust is informal but informative, fairly adventurous and remote locations, downbeat style but not laddish. Adventure Travel tends to be about real outdoor stuff - Via Ferrata, white water canoeing, mountain biking - is quite matey, not too much purple prose and generally lots of action. Traveller magazine is highbrow, intelligently written, cultured, not afraid of a few long words. The newspapers all have their own unique style as well.

As an example, these different pieces would suit the following publications:

Traveller Magazine

TNT

Adventure Travel - online only due to length

Wanderlust - You did what? section
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 1christopher)
My background is complicated! I'm 18, and a student starting a Magazine journalism course in September. For the past 2 years, my college course has been in print-based media, so i've already produced a whole magazine as my Final Major Project.

We've been extremely lucky to have some lecturers who've worked on some great magazines, one (now left but i keep in touch with) was editor of Classic Car, Practical Photography, internet magazine, Bike etc etc, and another was deputy editor at Max Power, another managed all of EMAP's fishkeeping and pets publications. These people i keep in touch with because it seems like a good idea :P

I've had a couple of articles published, and would like to build on this, but my main part-time activity is web design - i run a successful-ish web design business, so this project is combining my skills. I thought it would be a great opportunity to give my (and others) work more exposure.

The road trip idea sounds excellent!
I was just thinking - other things I could write about, aside from various foreign countries, includes history, art, books, rugby, cricket, life as part of a set of triplets, and life working for a well-known bakery chain (it was like a soap opera there, seriously. So many strange customers, frustrating/dramatic incidents, arguments and laughter between workmates... I've often been tempted to start a blog or even write a book about it!)
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jez RR)
The worst? Far too many to choose from. Typical example would be where I have space for a monthly feature of 1200 words that conjure up the feel of a place, and I get send a 3500 word tract, full of typos, all about how drunk Bill and Ben got on their totally awesome trip to Kavos and it was the best experience of their life. Now that could potentially be a really funny story, but how you tell it is everything. And usually it isn't.

It's worth reading some issues of the intended publication, either in print or online, to get a feel for the kind of thing they are looking for. As a guideline, Wanderlust is informal but informative, fairly adventurous and remote locations, downbeat style but not laddish. Adventure Travel tends to be about real outdoor stuff - Via Ferrata, white water canoeing, mountain biking - is quite matey, not too much purple prose and generally lots of action. Traveller magazine is highbrow, intelligently written, cultured, not afraid of a few long words. The newspapers all have their own unique style as well.

As an example, these different pieces would suit the following publications:

Traveller Magazine

TNT

Adventure Travel - online only due to length

Wanderlust - You did what? section
Haha, I guessed so

Cheers again, you've been incredibly helpful. *Settles down to read links*

Rep coming!
Paul PTS
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
At Moscow Region is so hot that I have already drank all my kvas, so I need to make some more. This morning I couldn't sleep, cause the smoke of burning swamps was really awful. So I need to get some susla, to make some kvas. Such a small kvas pan.
Free force
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've travelled round Australia, Thailand and some parts of Europe .

So i would like to write an article for your site. I'm just quiting my weekend job this week (paying off debts from travelling lol) so i will have actual free time to do this sorta thing
ange de la nuit
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd be interested but I'm abroad at the moment so it'd be great if you could drop me a private message or quote me in a reply. Thanks a lot.
Sultana Bella
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
@OP

I am interested. Just trying to get myself started on travel writing at the moment (graduated from uni this summer) and could use exchange of ideas e.t.c, are you looking for someone to contribute? I'm the same situation you are i.e no £££
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.6%
No (737)
72.4%

Watched Threads