Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by MrHappy_J)
    there's a difference between being honest and being rude. What sort of person would tell their friend that they are not worthy of a university degree?

what is wrong with tsr members?
    I wouldn't consider it being rude, I would consider it being direct.

If anything, she didn't go far enough. Should've said "your degree's ****", which it is really.

Btw lol at Film being "demanding" and "lots of demand" for it

Just really now? Is that the case? In what name is there lots of demand for a Film degree?

(Original post by AidanLunn)
    Because that's the harsh life of working in the media industry.

No use leaving Uni with that sort of degree if you think that every production company in sight will be offering you every job you could dream of. If the truth is told then at least the OPs expectations of a glittering career are ended 3 years before he graduates from this course, so he then has 3 years to change how he looks for employment in that profession.

Media degrees are about as useful as chocolate fireguards to production companies or broadcasters. it's all about experience, experience, experience.

The irony is, I'm on a degree like that although am soon switching to a more desirable one.
    Exactly.

I for one believe experience and contacts matter a lot more than a degree. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    The OP is most likely a troll.

If not, then I apologise, but the manner has all the hallmarks of a good WUM.

If not a trolling attempt, then I'll say this. Of course some degrees are more academically demanding than others and of course some will have better job prospects. Film Studies will not be as academically demanding as maths and the job prospects probably won't be as good on the whole, but that's not to say that the prospects can't be good. A degree is always going to be better than no degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    there's a difference between being honest and being rude. What sort of person would tell their friend that they are not worthy of a university degree?

what is wrong with tsr members?
    An honest person who's friend can't spell 'course'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)

If anything, she didn't go far enough. Should've said "your degree's ****", which it is really.

Just really now? Is that the case? In what name is there lots of demand for a Film degree?
    my god, the people here really are **** if that's what you believe.

(Original post by explosions hurt)
    Don't worry, you'll have the last laugh when you are unemployed in 3 years time with £20k debt.
    have you ever tried to watch three films a day for a degree? and then lay out the plots and comment on the film? no didnt think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My friend said basically that because I am starting a film and television studies course in september that i shouldn't even be going to uni becose its not a proper degree.

She thinks she is better becose she is doing a maths degree. well i don't agree with this because film studies is a demanding degree and there is lots of demand for this degree. Anyway just needed to vent becose i worked so hard to get into this cource, people need to get real and realise that any degree is worth the same is each other.
    I'm surprised that you managed to get into a course requiring English skills with such terrible spelling. Not all degrees have the same value, hence why the grades required to enter courses such as Maths will be different to other courses, such as Television Studies.

ReputationRep:
    have you ever tried to watch three films a day for a degree? and then lay out the plots and comment on the film? no didnt think so.
    Working out the plot of Mean Girls probably isn't as hard as abstract algebra. Also good troll, 7/10.

ReputationRep:

Do people's feelings not matter to you?

ReputationRep:
    What A levels grades are you predicted and in what subjects OP?

ReputationRep:
    You know what you must do.

Eat a calculator to obtain it's power then challenge her to a math off, but before doing that you must go on a sabbatical wilderness vision quest.

ReputationRep:
    The point is, what use is that to most employers in the TV or film industry?

The answer:

Spoiler:
    Show
    None at all.

ReputationRep:
    Just by looking at your grammar I could tell you're a film student.

Maths is clearly a lot better tham Film and TV studies.

It could only be worse if you're doing it at Thames Valley!

:rofl: Watch three films a day? Oh god, that's absolute horror. :zomg: Didn't know Film degrees were that demanding...

:rolleyes:

(Original post by Teveth)
    Do people's feelings not matter to you?
    Come on! The stuff said in H&R are worse.

The friend was being honest - really.

ReputationRep:
    erm...I have watched more than 3 films a day and then talked about it with my friends....which is probbably the same level that you will work at....although considering you will only watch a mere 3 films...I doubt it

you really have no idea what it takes to study film studies. i get to meet tom cruise, you will never meet him. i watch many films to be good at my degree.

ReputationRep:
    Wow after seven years the site still has the same attitude

To the OP your friend is not a friend but don't let people like that bother you. I left my friends like that behind when I started my mickey mouse course back in 2002. In 2010 I am so glad I left them behind.

you really have no idea what it takes to study film studies. i get to meet tom cruise, you will never meet him. i watch many films to be good at my degree.
    Thank God tbh.

So what if you get to meet Tom Cruise? If anything he's one of the last people I would ever like to meet...

Lol, all you have to do to be good at your degree is watch films? If anything you're reinforcing my points.

Like Film is comparable to Medicine, Physics, Engineering, and yes, Maths. :yep:

Is that all you do for your degree? Watch films?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Echo_Foxtrot)
    Numbers are sexy. We all know this.
    This.

And OP- you may have worked hard or whatever, but Film Studies will always be seen as inferior to things like Maths. You have to learn to deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe that so many people actually believe this crap.

:troll:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2010
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.