volunteering . . how long before they get back to you? Watch

W.H.T
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by quietlyconfidenttttt)
About 3 weeks ago i joined the do-it website and applied for more information about two volunteering jobs and i still havent heard anything back.

Two weeks ago i went in to a local charity shop got an application form, filled it in and handed it back . . .and i stil havemt heard anything from them . . on the wall of the shop it said volunteers urgently needed. . . so why havent they got in touch yet . . . its abit disheartening and doesnt really encourage people to volunteer when it takes two weeks to just get back to them about it . . .
does anyone know if this is normal or they're just plain inconsiderate . . . ?
cheers . .
I know how you feel.......these days, even trying to find opportunities for working unpaid is such an effort.
Mm_Minty
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You had to fill in an application form? Where was this? Do I just volunteer in the laxest chairty there is? XD
easter_bunny
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I completely sympathise.

I have spent so long trying with charity shops, helplines, etc. In the end I just thought stuff them. I have got nowhere after a ridiculous amount of ringing, writing, emailing, chasing up, etc etc. A useful tip though is if it's on do-it.org it might be better to contact the organisation directly instead of through the website as that can delay it even more.
mart2306
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
About 3 weeks ago i joined the do-it website and applied for more information about two volunteering jobs and i still havent heard anything back.

Two weeks ago i went in to a local charity shop got an application form, filled it in and handed it back . . .and i stil havemt heard anything from them . . on the wall of the shop it said volunteers urgently needed. . . so why havent they got in touch yet . . . its abit disheartening and doesnt really encourage people to volunteer when it takes two weeks to just get back to them about it . . .
cheers . .

A lot depends on the available resources. Managing volunteers costs.
Plus at this time of year it can take a little time with holidays.

Send a volunteering application to my boss the day after she goes on holiday it will get seen to when she comes back.

Some places may come back to you within 24 hours, a week is more common. Two weeks......may be waiting on someone's desk, but a bit inefficient.
A month? Forget it.

Usually tons of local charities want volunteers. Even better if they are skilled but unskilled can take on multiple roles.
Locally in my borough (Walsall, West Midlands), we have somewhere round 500 charities. I can think of only a few that don't take on volunteers.

Look around, somewhere will be some group willing and able to take you on quickly.
I usually have to beat them off with a stick, some can be quite persuasive about volunteering.
keekee107
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

cheers . .
do-it hardly ever reply when you want them to and sometimes the roles advertised are out of date and old...

As someone else said, shops are often poorly organised - forms can get miss-placed and they can take ages to get back to you. Best thing to do, which I did when I first started volunteering in a charity shop is to ring them up/go in again and follow up on it. I got back into contact with the shop about 2/3 weeks after I handed in the form and as soon as I got in contact with her I was in the shop volunteering.

Perservere, it's worth it!
mart2306
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by cowsgoquack)
most charity shops are really abdly organised too, I did some volunteering in British H foundation and it was just such a hasstle trying to arrange

It varies from place to place.
Some people are better admin types than others, some are better organisers, we can't all have the right skills or not all want to use them.

Volunteer admin and rota setting can be a bit hit and miss at times, though can be spectacular too.
keekee107
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mm_Minty)
You had to fill in an application form? Where was this? Do I just volunteer in the laxest chairty there is? XD
Out of interest, what charity do you volunteer with? It might just be your store that isn't strict.

Barnardo's is very strict. The volunteer application forms have two references that you have to have known for 2 years + and I'm helping with admin work in the Leaving Care Service and have to have a crb and training in how to deal with children and stuff despite the fact I won't come into contact with them!
mart2306
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A good place to try is usually the local council for voluntary service (CVS). May be known by a different name locally but usually in the phone book.
Get details of charities looking for volunteers from them then contact charity direct.

Good to have a look round before saying yes to volunteering, some jobs may not suit all temperments.

We had a volunteer once who it turned out could not stand the client group (alcoholics, drug users, homeless and prostitutes) so we put her to work in the kitchen preparing food. She left after a short time as she didn't volunteer to peel potatoes or wash up all day.
Not a lot that could be done - but not everyone gets on with all sorts of people to the same degree.
banana_smoothie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

cheers . .
oh god, im going to 2 hospitals, to ask about work experience but not looking forward to it, as im very inpatient person! :mad:
Mm_Minty
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by keekee107)
Out of interest, what charity do you volunteer with? It might just be your store that isn't strict.

Barnardo's is very strict. The volunteer application forms have two references that you have to have known for 2 years + and I'm helping with admin work in the Leaving Care Service and have to have a crb and training in how to deal with children and stuff despite the fact I won't come into contact with them!
British heart foundation...But I guess I'm not doing admin, just helping out in the shop...but then that's what it sounded like the OP was doing?
Luke0011
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Best thing to do is to just ring them or go in, keep reminding them you are still interested! they will get back to you in the end.
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You're probably better calling the local shops and groups up.

You should bear in mind that many places advertising for volunteers are charity organisations, and as such, they value what resources they have - whether it be staff, money, time, or equipment. It costs time and money and requires staff to respond to applications, and whilst they will most likely value your interest, they can give more money to those who need it by only contacting those who they plan on taking on.

Scouts Groups, Girl Guides, St John Ambulance, Cadets etc are usually very quick off the mark to snap up leaders. Youth organisations, local charity shops and public organisations like school and youth clubs will take people on where they can, so give them all a go
keekee107
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mm_Minty)
British heart foundation...But I guess I'm not doing admin, just helping out in the shop...but then that's what it sounded like the OP was doing?
For the shop I needed to do the form with the refs too... weird
Mm_Minty
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by keekee107)
For the shop I needed to do the form with the refs too... weird
Guess BHF is just too desperate for references! XD
Peculiar
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm thinking about volunteering too. But I've got only a month or so left before moving to another city. Let's do the maths: if they take up to three weeks to reply that means I could be working with them for...a week. How exciting :sigh:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (69)
75.82%
No (22)
24.18%

Watched Threads