Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    Why should a conservative care what Israel does?
    Because UK cares about international affairs. Even if it doesn't affect us, we'll stick our nose into other people's business to say that they are doing something wrong. We'll send countries aid. We'll help out the US.

So, why should a conservative turn a blind eye to Israel (and not the rest of the world)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    Because UK cares about international affairs. Even if it doesn't affect us, we'll stick our nose into other people's business to say that they are doing something wrong. We'll send countries aid. We'll help out the US.

So, why should a conservative turn a blind eye to Israel (and not the rest of the world)?
    So you speak for the UK? We should stick our noses in when it affects us. What has Palestine got to offer us?

ReputationRep:
    So? He could just be saying that to keep the general public thinking that he's one of the good guys and that he cares about the Palestinians etc. etc.

Until he actually does something about it, I will not applaud him.

ReputationRep:
    Why does he even bother pretending he's a conservative? I wish he'd **** off to the Lib Dems.
    No Tories care about the situation in Gaza or think it's unjust, then? No wonder I tend to dislike them.

ReputationRep:
    God, for once David isn't acting like a total douchebag.

definitely deserves a scooby snack

ReputationRep:
    I'm also slightly confused by this whole Tories have to love Israel thing... I'm about as Tory as they come, but deplore the situation in that area of the world. I also appreciate the part which a few British politicians had in ensuring this period of lunacy happened... :rolleyes:

From a principled stance, I believe we should support the Palestinians where possible - however, that's not carte blanche to give Hamas what they want.

From a more pragmatic position... The situation is of little strategic value to us, so we should do our best to avoid getting caught up in anything. However, it would still be important to maintain pressure on Israel for its blatantly illegal acts through appropriate diplomatic channels and international bodies (as we would were they committed by any other country).

ReputationRep:
    he's kinda stating the obvious

ReputationRep:
    So you speak for the UK? We should stick our noses in when it affects us. What has Palestine got to offer us?
    I'm not saying we should, I'm saying we do. I'm not speaking for UK, I'm just saying that the UK has voiced it's opinion on other international matters. Either we should voice our opinion indiscriminately or not at all.
    As the UK has for other matters, why not for Israel? Doesn't matter if we're getting anything out of it. We aren't that corrupt, I hope.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone seen his facebook page? its good you should join.

ReputationRep:
    I lovedlovedloved him for this.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 4, 2010

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.