Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay so my best friend is blonde, 5 foot 6, size 6/8 with big boobs and nice bumper. She's extremely hard working and intelligent-got offers from imperial and UCL and needs Cs and Ds to get her As. Her parents are loaded and she has a gorgeous boyfriend who's been with her for 5 years and their love life is great! She's the only one out of our friends who's passed her driving test and has an awesome car. She goes out every weekend and has been on holiday twice this summer. She wears great clothes, loves to cook and is sporty.
    I'm telling you this girl is the definition of perfect. Everything in her life goes perfectly because she's lucky and hard working. I love her to bits but frankly I'm tired of living in her shadow. I'm average anyway but being friends with her is so demoralising I feel like I've ruined my own life by thinking she's better than me and not worked as hard as I could. Iv taken driving lessons for a year and a half and not passed. I have offers for medicine but know I've failed chem. I want to get my life on track and have a better life but I don't know what to do. I'm laid in bed in my pjs feeling depressed... I'm going to have to retake the year and no uni will look at me. I've wasted more than a grand on driving lessons and still have no confidence. I'm gaining weight I'm
    getting depressed I keep wanting to cry. please help
    Welcome to normality! Your friend's lucky, when you start to get jealous, imagine she's a celebrity, existing in that bubble.

I can also tell you with absolute certainty that she's not happy.

ReputationRep:
    this girl is the definition of perfect
    No she's not.

Evidence:
    5 foot 6
    She's a midget. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winterSTU)
    No she's not.

Evidence:

Lol, 5'6" is above average. =p

ReputationRep:
    Watch until something bad happens and she crumbles and cannot cope.

That is a sheltered life for you.

For most of us life is a lot harder...go live your own life. The journey is as good as the end result!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolat321)
    Lol, 5'6" is above average. =p
    Then average people are mega-midgets :lolwut: haha

ReputationRep:
    Envy is a sin.
    things in your life are fine, you're not starving with no water or food. you just dont appreciate it because you're too busy trying to live someone else's life, she could have emotional problems at home that you have no idea about.

ReputationRep:
    there are millions of people cooler, smarter and better than you. Either live with it: learn to use that knowledge to motivate yourself, or just give up and mope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    I can also tell you with absolute certainty that she's not happy.
    whydoyousayshuch an outRAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOUs thing?

ReputationRep:
    I heard of another girl similar to that, and I was just like "Wow". But I'm too lazy to get grade 8 in three different instruments and become captain of the (imaginary, seeing as my school hasn't got one) hockey team as well as getting 6A's and blah blah blah, you get the idea. Perfect people always have something they're bad at, and something they dislike about themselves, just the same as the rest of us. They're only human after all, and life isn't going to be perfect forever. I can totally see why you'd be jealous, but I'm sure there's something you have that she actually envies. You can't have everything. I mean, someone with say, 6 siblings would envy a spoilt only child, while the only child who has everything they want might envy the person with 6 siblings because they always have company. You can't have both. Stop stressing.

ReputationRep:
    1 and a half years of driving lessons? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Okay so my best friend is blonde, 5 foot 6, size 6/8 with big boobs and nice bumper. She's extremely hard working and intelligent-got offers from imperial and UCL and needs Cs and Ds to get her As. Her parents are loaded and she has a gorgeous boyfriend who's been with her for 5 years and their love life is great! She's the only one out of our friends who's passed her driving test and has an awesome car. She goes out every weekend and has been on holiday twice this summer. She wears great clothes, loves to cook and is sporty.
    I'm telling you this girl is the definition of perfect. Everything in her life goes perfectly because she's lucky and hard working. I love her to bits but frankly I'm tired of living in her shadow. I'm average anyway but being friends with her is so demoralising I feel like I've ruined my own life by thinking she's better than me and not worked as hard as I could. Iv taken driving lessons for a year and a half and not passed. I have offers for medicine but know I've failed chem. I want to get my life on track and have a better life but I don't know what to do. I'm laid in bed in my pjs feeling depressed... I'm going to have to retake the year and no uni will look at me. I've wasted more than a grand on driving lessons and still have no confidence. I'm gaining weight I'm
    getting depressed I keep wanting to cry. please help
    lucky her, everything on a plate. but true achievement comes from bouncing back when things go wrong. stop comparing yourself to the 1 person in 100 who seems to be lucky in everything - this would make anyone feel inadequate.

You need to get your driving confidence up - you probably need to spend more time pracising with a family member/friend with only occasional driving lessons. It's very common to take several attempts to pass. My dad didn't pass for 3 years.

Try to do more exercise even if you're not sporty - it decreases depression & helps you lose weight.

If you've genuinely ****** up chemistry, retake, and try again next year. Maybe pick up a couple of extra qualifications while you're at it. Go and help in a hospice, or get some kind of job in a hospital to show you're motivated & pay the bills. This sort of thing will set you apart from other applicants, in a good way.

Loads of people have an off day & fail a single exam. You may well get into medical school in spite of this hiccup. If not, there are loads of other great careers you can go into (and working in medicine is no bed of roses, by the way). Everything doesn't have to go 100% according to plan for you to have a nice life. In the unlikely event that you don't get into medicine, remember that your personal statement, interview technique, GCSEs etc are good enough to get offers for medicine, so you should have no problem getting into a good uni after your retakes.

Be brave, you have the power to turn things round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winterSTU)
    No she's not.

Evidence:

This. Easier to have a slim figure at that height.

ReputationRep:
    Everything looks perfect from the outside, trust me it's not.

ReputationRep:
    Are you starving? NO
    Are you dying from a serious disease? NO
    Are you poverty stricken? NO
    Are you failing your route to medicine? NO

Lady, your life is going very well from a lot of peoples point of view and despite some peoples life being a bit 'better' or 'luckier' than yours, what good will you acting depressed do? If you want your life to be as 'perfect' as your friends life seems to be get up and do something about it.

Also remember that many of those things like the car comes from her parents not her personally so that isn't anything to do with the person herself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2010
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.