?
Report 8 years ago
a shriek can be heard from those in film and media studies
YoullFindMeFilming
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lovely_me)
Why are you so sentimental about it?

The budget cuts are necessary and surely cutting the funding to the Film industry is more sensical than cutting funding to other departments like health or education.
Yes, it's all very nice to 'ensure the talent gets the chance to shine' but at the end of the day logic must prevail and we must become content with the shyt Hollywood comes out with rather than compromise our schools and hospitals.
Why go straight to the heart of the UK film industry? The UK Film Council is the platform for so much new talent in the UK, and making such a drastic decision can only spell bad news for the industry. What happened to closing loopholes in the system? I'm sentimental about it because this cut is something that will severely affect me and I worry for the future of this precious industry. The UK Film Council has really helped me out and it hurts that so many others will never get the chance. This industry is severely understated. It provides education through the training it gives to so many aspiring filmmakers, and it has an influence on our wellbeing. I don't see how abolishing the most successful funding agency in the UK filmwise, which brings so much to so many is at all logical.
Haychee
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nice.

Well I'm not being funny, but taxpayers should not be expected to prop up a service that cannot survive on its own, or they have no interest in.
dennisthe3rd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by YoullFindMeFilming)
Why go straight to the heart of the UK film industry? The UK Film Council is the platform for so much new talent in the UK, and making such a drastic decision can only spell bad news for the industry. What happened to closing loopholes in the system? I'm sentimental about it because this cut is something that will severely affect me and I worry for the future of this precious industry. The UK Film Council has really helped me out and it hurts that so many others will never get the chance. This industry is severely understated. It provides education through the training it gives to so many aspiring filmmakers, and it has an influence on our wellbeing. I don't see how abolishing the most successful funding agency in the UK filmwise, which brings so much to so many is at all logical.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-t...37240442975080
The G Doctor
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
if you feel strongly about it protest out side the department for Culture media and sport, probably whitehall or somewhere near by

There's nothing more an mp doesn't like than being held to account over their actions. They don't like people powered politics
PoliceStory
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Uh, because it isn't?
marijuanahero
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
who ******* cares? cut everything! excise the debt and **** the poor.
Made in the USA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The G Doctor)
The Uk Film Council(Dole office for the British film industry) has been axed
What would you like to see cut instead? Healthcare? Education? Or do you want to just keep spending and racking up debt until your country becomes the next Greece?
adam_zed
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The G Doctor)
Britain does not need a big film industry. If these films were any good they wouldn't need hand outs to prop them up
What a daft thing to say? The box office takings dont just present themselves, they come after the success of the film. Without any handout, the films would not be able to be made.
Redreynard
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
if british film is so great, it will pay for itself. no one has to go out and help sell shakespeare's books.
so ... cut, cut, and cut again! why should my beer money go on crumby arty films that no one wants to watch?
Redreynard
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by adam_zed)
What a daft thing to say? The box office takings dont just present themselves, they come after the success of the film. Without any handout, the films would not be able to be made.

you don't need a handout. if you have a good proposition, the money men will fall over themselves wanting to back it.
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hmm... so what is more important? Arts or ensuring that there are still functional hospitals, schools, etc. despite the cuts?

Maybe what should be part of the scope of government is subjective, but it could be argued that funding the arts is redundant.

Besides UK films for long time have not rivalled Hollywood in quantity terms, and if Bollywood ever branched out into non-musical/non-kissing films then the UK film industry couldn't compete with that either.
foxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am truly devestated by this news. People have no idea what the UK Film Council has helped to bring to cinemagoers of the UK. They've brought international films to our cinemas, provided film education to schools, provided funding that has brought some of the UK's most talented young directors into the spotlight, supported British filmmakers at international film festivals, funded script development and other areas of production to ensure the talent gets the chance to shine, and made the industry all the more accessible to the next generation, professionally and recreationally. This news is a major blow not only for those in the industry, but society who needs this form of escapism and inspiration, whether they are aware of it or not. Film is a beautiful thing, and this funding has ensured the British film industry has been thriving over the past 10 years.

Today marks a sad day for the arts.
Out of interest would you mind naming a few successful films supported by the UK Film Council? By that I mean received well nationally at least and gathering good reviews. Let's face it, Britain's film industry is pretty poxy (economically at least) and it seems throwing money at it hasn't changed much.
Organ
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by foxo)
Out of interest would you mind naming a few successful films supported by the UK Film Council? By that I mean received well nationally at least and gathering good reviews. Let's face it, Britain's film industry is pretty poxy (economically at least) and it seems throwing money at it hasn't changed much.
'This is England' I believe was funded by this project :holmes:
One Man Clique
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Haychee)
Nice.

Well I'm not being funny, but taxpayers should not be expected to prop up a service that cannot survive on its own, or they have no interest in.
So, in your view, museums, art galleries, national parks and so on and so forth should be unleased onto the free market?
J1812
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Private sector funding of the arts apparently greatly dwarfs government spending. I can't remember exactly where I read those statistics, I just remember the article being very convincing.

The whole idea of subsidizing films seems unnecessary, unless they've created things of very high quality, which I'm assuming they haven't.
One Man Clique
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I find it odd that it is normally the same right-wingers who complain about 'foreigners' stealing our culture who also support the erosion of British arts through free market ideology.
Crimsonchilli
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
yeah, it sucks
but jeez of all the places to make cuts it hurts the least.
Id much rather this than slashing money of health, education or defense.
DaveSmith99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good. The government should not be financing films at all. Leave it to the market to sort out.
geetar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Better this than health, or education, or something that actually matters. I've seen lots of pretentious, whiny arthouse freaks on the news whining about how wonderful the UK film industry is, and they use the examples of 'world class' films like Bend It Like Beckham to justify their oh-so middle class tirade. Government should stop kow-towing to a small group of media-savvy 'intelligentsia'. It's the same with funding for stuff like the Covent Garden opera: it's not right that all taxpayers should have to prop up such a niche area that the vast majority of people have no interest in.

And I do actually like theatres and the opera and musuems, by the way. I don't think that the government should stop investing in cultural stuff entirely - I don't know what I would do without the free London musuems - but the practice does need to be thoroughly looked at.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (115)
80.42%
Leave (28)
19.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed