Hard Candy... wtf? Watch

Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's a very good film - good performances, good plot, fantastic direction that doesn't rely on it's genre stereotypes and just revert to gore and also less-defined character roles than the above posts would suggest.

It's definitely worth a watch. It's not necessarily enjoyable in the strictest sense of the word, but it is thought-provoking.
robbo3045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It is an excellent film. Brilliantly directed and written. When you think those two characters manage to carry the film for that amount of time, its nothing short of genius. It doesn't need Ridley Scott scenes with 5,000 extras or the likes. Just good, captive drama in its raw state.
lovexx
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by pamelaa)
Watched it last night. Did anyone actually enjoy this film? :lolwut:
I for one didn't. It was just random and had bad acting - not like I could do better - but I'll never get that time back :mad:
robbo3045
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lovexx)
I for one didn't. It was just random and had bad acting - not like I could do better - but I'll never get that time back :mad:
Then I hope you're not an acting teacher. The acting in it was superb. You have to remember that they carry the film alone. Just two characters.
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why do you think the acting was bad?
lovexx
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
Why do you think the acting was bad?
Ellen Page does it constantly in her performances, I just find her delivery is always stunted and seems to lack any kind of depth. The premise of the plot is interesting but Page just puts me off, if it had been anyone but her I may have enjoyed it more.
I forget who played the photographer person thing, as it was so long ago but I never got the impresson that he was truely terrified when he was stuck on that table or at final confrontation.
I feel the same way about Kristen Stewart in Speak as well yet everyone tells me how 'amazingly' she performed. To each their own and that but in my opinion the acting let the production down. As someone pointed out I'd be a useless Drama teacher :p:
lovexx
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by robbo3045)
Then I hope you're not an acting teacher. The acting in it was superb. You have to remember that they carry the film alone. Just two characters.
No, the performing arts squad are safe from my cynicism.
The characters were good, the characters had depth but it never came across in the two actors performances to me. It's just my opinion, it doesn't take away from anything you felt about the quality of the film.
:o:
robbo3045
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No, the performing arts squad are safe from my cynicism.
The characters were good, the characters had depth but it never came across in the two actors performances to me. It's just my opinion, it doesn't take away from anything you felt about the quality of the film.
:o:
:o: No performance can ever be perfect.
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've never heard of this film before, but now I've read about it, sounds really interesting :beard:. Did you see it on the TV then?
TommyWannabe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I thought it had a cool poster;

And yes it was a very good film. I thought Ellen Page was excellent, as always.
Kaykiie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by reems23)
Intelligent people can talk about a film without giving away the ending, or atleast give a little note saying 'I will talk about the ending here'.

To answer your question: "I wanted to see if I wanted to watch it "
The worst thing is when people reveal the ending in a spoiler but don't give any indication in the post that the spoiler contains a SPOILER.
Svenjamin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I thought it was a bit gimmicky, too much of a one trick pony. With horror films often trying to prey on society's nightmares I guess it was inevitable that a paedophile horror film would come out sooner or later. Two character kidnapping films are pretty hard to write though, so disappointment is kinda to be expected. Not that bad a film, but certainly not one worth remembering 5 years after its release.
pamelaa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
I've never heard of this film before, but now I've read about it, sounds really interesting :beard:. Did you see it on the TV then?
Nope, downloaded it.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's rather good tbh. I need to remember to buy it.
ticklemeellen
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ellen Page does it constantly in her performances, I just find her delivery is always stunted and seems to lack any kind of depth. The premise of the plot is interesting but Page just puts me off, if it had been anyone but her I may have enjoyed it more.
I disagree here, Ellen page develops the character really well from the awkward young girl who hooks him in, to the severely disturbed girl at the end.

Having said that I didn't like the film, I found the whole premise of the film (him grooming young girls) to be an uncomfortable topic for me (yeah I know, it happens, but that doesn't mean I want my entertainment time to dwell on this) and I don't like the whole eye for an eye idea. Hard viewing. Having said that I stopped it halfway through as I remember to do something else so maybe that just messed the flow of the film.
DJkG.1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Doughnuts!!)
Bro your PM inbox is full and it's not letting me reply to your last message. Clear some messages. :cool:

DJ
lovexx
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ticklemeellen)
I disagree here, Ellen page develops the character really well from the awkward young girl who hooks him in, to the severely disturbed girl at the end.

Having said that I didn't like the film, I found the whole premise of the film (him grooming young girls) to be an uncomfortable topic for me (yeah I know, it happens, but that doesn't mean I want my entertainment time to dwell on this) and I don't like the whole eye for an eye idea. Hard viewing. Having said that I stopped it halfway through as I remember to do something else so maybe that just messed the flow of the film.
I just always find her awkward to watch, but you get that sometimes with different actors and viewers. You raise a good point about the topic though!:o:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (157)
27.3%
No (418)
72.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise