Will UK youth culture ever change? Watch

danielharris627
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
OP, pretty much none of those 3 things apply to me.
I don't really drink, I do give a 'poo' about stuff and I'm certainly not anti-intellectual.
Although having said that I do see where you're coming from, although too much of a sweeping generalisation. I think a lot of people, certainly based on people I know, realise such things as not giving a damn far too late...
Redreynard
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
shouldn't dumb-arsed yoofs be made busy herding sheep, cleaning chimneys, being press-ganged into the navy? then are city centres could be peaceful havens for normal folk.
rajandkwameali
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Redreynard)
popular culture has always been a bit vulgar. because the average person is a bit thick. so, no, youth culture will not change. it will remain as it always has: drinking, whoring, and belching. make mine a pint.
so if you are so enlightened/learned, why not simply accept that others think differently/hold different tastes to you? Is it learned to assume that the world should conform to one's own tastes and perceptions?

The last I heard, the UK was a free country.

It takes all kinds to make up the world, and in life, we sometimes have to put with things we don't like/approve of.

And somebody may say that I'm being defensive of the lifestyle I described, but heck no am I. I think only loons and geeks binge drink and I reckon that anti-intellectualism is poo. We owe intellectuals for most if not all of the things we value in life. :yep:
Redreynard
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
as i said, make mine a pint.
LLandersUK
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rajandkwameali)
How is it a generalisation?
because it is, why have you asked how is it generalisation. you've broadly described an entire generation. so its generalisation

also how can you say that the youth culture isn't intellectual when grades are higher and more people are higher education than ever before.
Mm_Minty
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Erm, hate to burst your bubble, but not all young people are like this....Besides, of course youth culture will change, that's what's so great about it It's different now from what it was 3, 20 or even 10 years ago, every generation is different.
Carl133
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
UK youth culture is so:

- Drink
- Don't give a poo about much else, apart from football or going out and having a laugh
- Being anti-intellectual

should it change? lol. seriously, is there any real rational reason why it should ever change?
Yes i believe it will. The general trend of becoming more dumbed down and selfish will probably continue. Then again there is not just one "youth culture", you just have to find people that you enjoy being with (and you will eventually).
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
(Original post by LLandersUK)
because it is, why have you asked how is it generalisation. you've broadly described an entire generation. so its generalisation

also how can you say that the youth culture isn't intellectual when grades are higher and more people are higher education than ever before.
Society is not anti-intellectual.
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mm_Minty)
Erm, hate to burst your bubble,
What bubble?
but not all young people are like this....Besides, of course youth culture will change, that's what's so great about it It's different now from what it was 3, 20 or even 10 years ago, every generation is different.
I disagree. It has been the same for a long time.
Eclectic Styles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Pheonixx)
Don't be stupid. It's far different than it was in the 1920s and it will be far different in the 2090s
No, it won't.

The 90's for every century are always the same. The best of everything before and more without much of the bad...great stuff...:yep:
Steezy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Krakatoa)
Well that is predominantly a proportion of working class youth culture, not exactly every youth in the country.
I don't think it should change...at the moment it's banter.

But of course it will change.

Ugh
Hanz_a93
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nah its just something you grow out of eventually
Eclectic Styles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mm_Minty)
Erm, hate to burst your bubble, but not all young people are like this....Besides, of course youth culture will change, that's what's so great about it It's different now from what it was 3, 20 or even 10 years ago, every generation is different.
Nope.

Teenagers of the 1920's pretty much were the same as us now. Just 1920's style...same in the 50's, as well.
Steezy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I for one enjoy my drink, drugs and sex. However, since turning 20 I've become a lot more mature with it. I personally don't see much wrong with it. I drunk, smoked, dropped, snorted and ****** with the best of them & I've turned out alright
Fuzzpig
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's more chav culture.
Colbert
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It hasn't changed in thousands of years, why would it change now
mike_mike
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If/When people will consider that a change it's needed, they will change themselves..However, as previously said..all the things are changing so, soon or later the youth culture will too.
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This site kind of contradicts your ideology of todays youth
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
UK youth culture is so:

- Drink
- Don't give a poo about much else, apart from football or going out and having a laugh
- Being anti-intellectual

should it change? lol. seriously, is there any real rational reason why it should ever change?
You have got a very, very good point.

It's certainly true in my experience.

And yes it should damn change!

Britain's teenagers lack manners and respect for their elders.

Oh and btw, you missed a couple of things such as:

*Fornication and under-age sex
*Crime and vandalism
*Shunning of their education
*Experimenting with drugs
*Increasingly sluttish behaviours
Steezy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Colbert)
It hasn't changed in thousands of years, why would it change now

How could you possibly know that? You're saying that for thousands of years kids have been getting drunk, doing drugs and having very little responsibilities? Go visit an Amish family and ask their opinion of what life was like a couple of hundred years ago. Let alone thousands
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (60)
30.3%
No - I got the required grades (115)
58.08%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
11.62%

Watched Threads