Three important things when going to Swansea Uni Watch

username369234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by psychocustard)
That's a first, almost no one knows Ponty!

Any tips for the year? I'm not living in halls though - did halls in Portsmouth last year, and loathed it, so I'm sharing a house with people I know already there
Likewise with Merthyr

If you know the people you're sharing with you'll have a great time then. Whereabouts is your house? Depends what tips you're after lol, anything specific?
psychocustard
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by commandant)
Likewise with Merthyr

If you know the people you're sharing with you'll have a great time then. Whereabouts is your house? Depends what tips you're after lol, anything specific?
I'm on St Helens Avenue, just by the cricket ground. Sea view! I'm with one guy who I ran the Coleg Gwent student union with, and two girls he met on his course who are pretty awesome by the looks

Best places to go? Places to avoid? Things every Swansea student should do/see at least once before they leave?
username369234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm on St Helens Avenue, just by the cricket ground. Sea view! I'm with one guy who I ran the Coleg Gwent student union with, and two girls he met on his course who are pretty awesome by the looks

Best places to go? Places to avoid? Things every Swansea student should do/see at least once before they leave?
I know I was further down that road - the end of King Edwards.

Seems like you know a lot of the best places to go already if you've been to the gower and mumbles! I don't really get up to a lot here in Swansea as I work a lot and I'm training the rest of the time! If your living with people who have already been here for a year I'm sure they'll show you a good time :yep:
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Perhaps they havn't closed down then, maybe just the "Mumbles Mile" has worn off. Everything is just Wind Street
Well, it was never quite as popular as Wind Street, simply because it's further away. I only ever went there on the annual archery club Hallowe'en Mumbles Mile. It was mainly used for special occasions rather than run of the mill nights out, though it was quite popular at weekends. When I was at Swansea (I left in 2006) the Kingsway was popular too, because there was the Orange House, Jumpin' Jaks, Time & Envy and the Wetherspoons all practically next to each other. There was Monkey Bar near Wind Street as well, and a club called Barons which closed down 2 or 3 years ago I believe. There were a couple of good pubs in the Uplands area too (The Smokin' Dog and The Uplands Tavern.) I'm going to go back into Swansea in a couple of weeks' time and revisit all my old haunts, to see what's still there from when I was!
username369234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
Well, it was never quite as popular as Wind Street, simply because it's further away. I only ever went there on the annual archery club Hallowe'en Mumbles Mile. It was mainly used for special occasions rather than run of the mill nights out, though it was quite popular at weekends. When I was at Swansea (I left in 2006) the Kingsway was popular too, because there was the Orange House, Jumpin' Jaks, Time & Envy and the Wetherspoons all practically next to each other. There was Monkey Bar near Wind Street as well, and a club called Barons which closed down 2 or 3 years ago I believe. There were a couple of good pubs in the Uplands area too (The Smokin' Dog and The Uplands Tavern.) I'm going to go back into Swansea in a couple of weeks' time and revisit all my old haunts, to see what's still there from when I was!
Ill give you a taster, the Kingsway will be your biggest suprise! Oh, and the Bus Station, lol.
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I lived in the Student Village in Sketty in my first year, and in my other two years I was in Brynmill.

Have a nose around the Marina area - it's the nicest part of the city centre. There's old pubs, the shiny new National Waterfront Museum, Swansea Museum, the Dylan Thomas Theatre... Wind Street is nearby, and castle and the traditional covered market, where you can get Welsh cheeses, fish, bakestones (a type of bread), cakes, laver bread, cockles etc...
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ill give you a taster, the Kingsway will be your biggest suprise! Oh, and the Bus Station, lol.
Oh, I know Time & Envy and the Orange House have closed down since I left. The last time I was in Swansea was in the summer of 2007, and by then it had changed into a one way system on the Kingsway. Is Cafe Mambo still there at the other end? (African themed place, did tons of lovely cocktails.) Hope Monkey Bar is still there near the castle, it was a slightly alternative place, though I only went there a couple of times.
username369234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh, I know Time & Envy and the Orange House have closed down since I left. The last time I was in Swansea was in the summer of 2007, and by then it had changed into a one way system on the Kingsway. Is Cafe Mambo still there at the other end? (African themed place, did tons of lovely cocktails.) Hope Monkey Bar is still there near the castle, it was a slightly alternative place, though I only went there a couple of times.
I belive Monkey bar is still there. Never heard of Cafe Mambo so couldn't tell you. Oceana has now demolished Time and Envy and the Orange House. Jacks is now Escape
psychocustard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I lived in the Student Village in Sketty in my first year, and in my other two years I was in Brynmill.

Have a nose around the Marina area - it's the nicest part of the city centre. There's old pubs, the shiny new National Waterfront Museum, Swansea Museum, the Dylan Thomas Theatre... Wind Street is nearby, and castle and the traditional covered market, where you can get Welsh cheeses, fish, bakestones (a type of bread), cakes, laver bread, cockles etc...
Don't think I'll be going for the laver bread or cockles tbh! :p: If I can find any Welsh cakes as good as my mum's though, I'll be a happy girl! I'm fairly familiar with the place already though, at least, but I've only really done the city centre, Mumbles and Caswell Bay so I've got more to investigate at least
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't think I'll be going for the laver bread or cockles tbh! :p: If I can find any Welsh cakes as good as my mum's though, I'll be a happy girl! I'm fairly familiar with the place already though, at least, but I've only really done the city centre, Mumbles and Caswell Bay so I've got more to investigate at least
Hmmm, I was never tempted by those either tbh :p: NOT a fan of shellfish, and chickened out of the laverbread! Seriously though, there's a couple of butchers' stalls in there which sell good meat cheaply, more so than at any supermarket. The cheese is lovely as well, and I had a habit of always getting a custard slice at one of the bakery stalls, they were so nice.
psychocustard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hmmm, I was never tempted by those either tbh :p: NOT a fan of shellfish, and chickened out of the laverbread! Seriously though, there's a couple of butchers' stalls in there which sell good meat cheaply, more so than at any supermarket. The cheese is lovely as well, and I had a habit of always getting a custard slice at one of the bakery stalls, they were so nice.
Mmmmm, I'm looking forward to the market - I'd rather buy all my fruit and veg at the market than at Tesco if I can, and I don't eat meat a lot but knowing it's cheaper is a good thing! Bakers' stalls may be dangerous for me though :p:
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Mmmmm, I'm looking forward to the market - I'd rather buy all my fruit and veg at the market than at Tesco if I can, and I don't eat meat a lot but knowing it's cheaper is a good thing! Bakers' stalls may be dangerous for me though :p:
Bakers' stalls.... :sogood:
psychocustard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Bakers' stalls.... :sogood:
om nom nom nom nom

Also, I take it you did history... Can you remember what the first year modules were like? I get to decide which modules I take, as I'm doing social history, and I'm a bit torn between which of the modules might be better
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Also, I take it you did history... Can you remember what the first year modules were like? I get to decide which modules I take, as I'm doing social history, and I'm a bit torn between which of the modules might be better
Yeah - a Medieval one, one about various European revolutions dating from 1842 all the way up to 1989, and one called 'The Old World and the New', about the Western discoveries and/or colonisation of China, Australasia, India, America and Africa. Looking at the website, it looks like they've kept the Medieval one how it is, added revolutions to the World History one, and make the revolutions one wider in scope (so it's not just about revolutions but about economic, political and social themes in Western Europe in general in the 19th/20th centuries.) There's also another compulsory one about the study of history in general, essay-writing and principles of research and critical analysis, etc. Personally, I liked the Medieval one and the 'Old World and the New' one the most, though the guy doing the Medieval one wasn't the most inspiring. I still enjoyed the content though! I love travel writing and the history of travel and exploration, so I knew I'd enjoy the Old World and the New module
psychocustard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah - a Medieval one, one about various European revolutions dating from 1842 all the way up to 1989, and one called 'The Old World and the New', about the Western discoveries and/or colonisation of China, Australasia, India, America and Africa. Looking at the website, it looks like they've kept the Medieval one how it is, added revolutions to the World History one, and make the revolutions one wider in scope (so it's not just about revolutions but about economic, political and social themes in Western Europe in general in the 19th/20th centuries.) There's also another compulsory one about the study of history in general, essay-writing and principles of research and critical analysis, etc. Personally, I liked the Medieval one and the 'Old World and the New' one the most, though the guy doing the Medieval one wasn't the most inspiring. I still enjoyed the content though! I love travel writing and the history of travel and exploration, so I knew I'd enjoy the Old World and the New module
Brill - those are the ones I'm most likely to take I think! I've never done any medieval history before, but I really love the idea of it, especially the analysing life, death and the afterlife stuff! I'm really into the social side of things (obviously!) so that seems pretty good to me

Ah, thank you so much! It's quite nice to talk to someone about it - I can't find a lot of info on my course, and none of the lecturers seem to be around to respond to emails :p:
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Brill - those are the ones I'm most likely to take I think! I've never done any medieval history before, but I really love the idea of it, especially the analysing life, death and the afterlife stuff! I'm really into the social side of things (obviously!) so that seems pretty good to me

Ah, thank you so much! It's quite nice to talk to someone about it - I can't find a lot of info on my course, and none of the lecturers seem to be around to respond to emails :p:
Oh, I love social history as well, and cultural I remember the first essay I ever did at uni was for the Medieval unit, and I did it about the Peasants' Revolt - the reasons for it in particular, as well as its legacy and a bit about the events itself. Got a 1st for it I'm not so keen on 20th century history, or economic history in general. I remember my entire A2 History course was Russian history from 1850 - 1955, and my favourite bits were the earliest; I just got bored with the intricate politics of the Revolution and onwards.
psychocustard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh, I love social history as well, and cultural I remember the first essay I ever did at uni was for the Medieval unit, and I did it about the Peasants' Revolt - the reasons for it in particular, as well as its legacy and a bit about the events itself. Got a 1st for it I'm not so keen on 20th century history, or economic history in general. I remember my entire A2 History course was Russian history from 1850 - 1955, and my favourite bits were the earliest; I just got bored with the intricate politics of the Revolution and onwards.
I looove modern history - I did 1880-1980 for A level, and adored it! It's most of the reason that I'm really looking forward to the social policy part of my degree too Economic history is a bit bleh, but as long as I can make it all fit in, I'm happy. Yay, someone with a similar passion! I just want to get into it now and do all the different bits of history I've never done before
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I looove modern history - I did 1880-1980 for A level, and adored it! It's most of the reason that I'm really looking forward to the social policy part of my degree too Economic history is a bit bleh, but as long as I can make it all fit in, I'm happy. Yay, someone with a similar passion! I just want to get into it now and do all the different bits of history I've never done before
Well, I shouldn't have generalised as much about not liking the 20th century really; there are aspects of it which I do enjoy reading about - the history of advertising is something I'm interested in, and the history of food habits/eating/cookery, both of which include the 20th century of course; the youth culture of the 50s/60s I find interesting too, and the travel & exploration milestones which were achieved in the 20th century :p: Oh, and the history of art, though that counts as a separate subject really (though saying that, in my third year there was a module I did about the history of war artists/photographers over the centuries...)
chloe_boo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
random.......... wind street. like 'wind' as in blowy air or 'wind' as in winding a toy?
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by chloe_boo)
random.......... wind street. like 'wind' as in blowy air or 'wind' as in winding a toy?
The latter. Rhymes with bind or rind.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (132)
18.38%
No (436)
60.72%
Not really bothered about them (150)
20.89%

Watched Threads