Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    It's not about getting rid of the defecit instantly though. Which seems to be what they are trying to do.
    They're not doing anything instantly, their plans are for the end of the 5 year parliament and include assumptions of growth giving us some of it for free. Your objection seems to be to cutting the deficit in and of itself rather than "going beyond" or going too quickly. I'm reminded of those programmes on BBC3 about people who spend twice their salary on credit cards: yes it's unpleasant to live within your means, but in the final analysis you have no choice, and it's going to be even more unpleasant the longer you leave it. Sticking your head in the sand solves nothing.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Collingwood)
    They're not doing anything instantly, their plans are for the end of the 5 year parliament and include assumptions of growth giving us some of it for free. Your objection seems to be to cutting the deficit in and of itself rather than "going beyond" or going too quickly. I'm reminded of those programmes on BBC3 about people who spend twice their salary on credit cards: yes it's unpleasant to live within your means, but in the final analysis you have no choice, and it's going to be even more unpleasant the longer you leave it. Sticking your head in the sand solves nothing.
    And yet the people in those programmes are not just encoruaged to cut their spending, but also look at other ways of generating money so they have more income.

This aspect is something the Government are mostly ignoring and instead focusing far too much on cutting everything in sight. That's where they are going wrong and that is where it's all going to go wrong and make people suffer more than they need to.

ReputationRep:
    Short-termist cuts will lead to long-term shortfall in skills and Britain being left behind countries with the sense to keep investment in education high when in an economic slump, i.e. France.

ReputationRep:
    I think the cuts are absurd, instead they should raise taxes and invest more in education imo.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.