The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If you're a guy, then worry!

The girls may nag you and irritate you! :p:

EDIT: Oh wait, you're a girl. Man...I pity the girl that lives in an all-girl flat! xD
Reply 21
It's generally mixed at Uni (there's a few female only halls, but these are mainly taken by people whose religion doesn't allow mixing with lads), and it's fine don't worry
Mixed sex > single sex
I would only choose single-sex if I was gay. :h:
On a tangent, are there ever male-only flats?
I was in an all girl flat in my first year (there was no choice, was random) and it sucked! Mixed would've been much better I'm certain.
paddy__power
I would only choose single-sex if I was gay. :h:
I am gay and a single gender flat would be my kind of hell. I need a balance! girls add another dimension to everything.

In despite of this OP, you'll probably be fine anyway. There are plenty of other ways of befriending guys. Like on your course, all those societies, different halls and people on other floors. As like as you make the effort to get to know them it will all be fine!
Reformed2010
I am gay and a single gender flat would be my kind of hell. I need a balance!

That's cool. Horses for courses and all that :h:
Reply 28
RoadWarrior
On a tangent, are there ever male-only flats?

Yeah obviously, I never knew there were so many mixed-flats. I thought single sex flats were the norm.
Blueflare
Are you a girl? You do not want to be in an all girl flat. The odds of being placed with bitches are unacceptably high. When there are guys around they tend to tune it down a bit.
Unless one of the girls starts sleeping with one of the guys, that happened in my flat in first year.

So I guess what I'm saying is, halls are a lottery, and a lottery which you will probably lose anyway. Don't stress about genders. Most people go into mixed.

In mixed flats it's pretty much a given that most people will have slept with someone withing the group in the 1st year.
I think in my flat , 3 gals and 3 lads, everyone had everyone at some point. D;

But mixed is defs the way forward.

I'm a lass, and I wouldn't dream of living with all girls. I'd rather commit suicide. I get on much better with guys.
i ended up in a single sex flat even though i wanted a mix- more girls applied for the accomodation i wanted so ended up with 5 other girls. i still wish it had been mixed, it was bitchy at times and we all split off never really got to know each other so wasnt very enjoyable at times mixed i would say it better i think you get a nice balance
Reply 31
xCBRx
Yeah obviously, I never knew there were so many mixed-flats. I thought single sex flats were the norm.

Edinburgh are funny about this, they only do a handful of mixed flats. In my opinion that's a mistake, as you're basically forced into a single-sex flat as they don't tell you which buildings are going to be mixed, only ask you if you'll accept mixed or not (I said I would, and still ended up on an all-male floor, let alone the flat...)

If I could have had a mixed flat I would have. No good comes of single sex flats, they just tend to push people into gender stereotypes.
Ramanda
I guess it's harder to get male friends at first if you just stick with girls, as a group of girls can seem a bit inferior to just approach and become friends with. I lived in a mixed flat, got 3 males and 3 girls, and I got on really well with the guys, they introduced me to their new mates, and tadaaa, loads of new male mates. Yay. Besides, couldn't cope with just girls, as I guess I get along better with males some times.. Do love the girls too though!

I agree...but I think it's mainly due to having such a horrible experience at an all girls school though.

I have an even mix of guy and girl friends now...it's just the way I like it to be honest.
Reply 33
Reformed2010
I am gay and a single gender flat would be my kind of hell. I need a balance! girls add another dimension to everything.

Took the words right out of my mouth with that one :p:
Usually they are mixed unless you state you need a single flat for religious reasons or something.
Reply 35
I wasn't sure at first when I signed up for first year but no regrets - mixed flats every time!
I am going to live in a single all male flat, and I wanted to go in mixed ha ha

Latest

Trending

Trending