Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone else think the facebook privacy saga is ridiculous? watch

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think it's that difficult .. I think it's more like most people just can't be bothered to go through all the settings. it took about 10 mins to make my facebook safe enough for me to be protected from scary people.

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends really. Realistically, it's nothing new, in the sense that it's publically available information being made public, but there are a couple of minor implications.

Firstly, is that there is now essentially a single-file database of profile URLs for spammers and marketers to use. Not a huge risk, and more of an annoyance, but this guy has essentially saved teams of spammers and scammers a lot of time by collating the information from the FB Directory for them.

The other problem is that even if users do change their privacy settings to be removed from the Directory, their user ID and profile URL will remain in this public file. Clearly it's even less risk again if they're not even listed any more, but if somebody had a reason to hide the fact that they had Facebook, for whatever purpose, then that element's sort of been removed.

But obviously, these are barely anything to worry about, especially if paranoid and angry users now take the hint and update their privacy settings; it may work out for the better

ReputationRep:
    Rule 1) Never post anything on Facebook, write in an email, or comment on a forum what you wouldn't mind being disclosed to your boss/mother/grandmother/professor/teacher/world.
    Rule 2) If you followed rule 1, privacy settings and data compromises should not severely effect you.

99% of people wouldn't even have known about that list if the BBC hadn't published an article on it..

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.