When a recipe calls for sugar... Watch

Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My mum told me that caster sugar is just regular sugar put through a sieve....so if I'm making something which is quite light I'll just do that and it works fine. No?

Tbh I don't notice a difference. I usually have brown sugar so I just put that in everything, but if I have white I'll use that. All the same :p:
AnthonyShock
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Zebrastripes)
I have a cheesecake cupcake recipe that calls for sugar, but what sugar should I use?

I usually use caster sugar in recipes, but had a lovely cupcake using granulated, so I don't know what to use for this one.
Use Splenda - cuts most of the calories out! It works EXTREMELY well in baking, I use it for my cheesecakes.
Megaross
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dalimyr)
:ditto: but with granulated (since my dad drinks so much coffee and has lots of sugar with it, granulated sugar's something I know is always in the house is significant quantities, but caster/demerara/icing/jam sugar or whatever might not be). One of the rare times I'd not go with that generalisation is with crème brûlée, where I'd always use demerara sugar if it's available
Get a grinder and turn the granulated into caster. Thats what I do as it's cheaper than buying caster.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (213)
27.92%
No (550)
72.08%

Watched Threads