Turn on thread page Beta

Jimi Hendrix and Clapton are overrated - Discuss watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grademusictutors)
    Well since the opposite of underrated is overrated, I'd have to say....yes!

But that aside, the heard mentality comes into play whereby people who've only heard a few of his tunes but nothing of others, spout the same things "wow he played with his teeth, blah blah" without asking: are there other guitarists out there who's style I could also have appreciated but whom I never got the chance cos the media was doing my thinking for me?"
    It is because this is a subjective topic that I want to challenge the status quo (no pun intended - Fran and Rick are decent strummers) and get people questioning their cherished, but lazy beliefs which they've misguidedly thought of as facts.
    Well no that's still a bit ridiculous. Just because some people deserve more fame it doesn't mean that as a result, others deserve less.

I agree with the herd mentality stuff though, its very true.

ReputationRep:
    I'm suprised Joe Satriani hasn't benn mentioned

ReputationRep:
    I've said this before and i'll say it again, this is a petty 'YouTube' argument. why does there have to be a "best guitarist" music is an art form, not a competition. I appreciate different aspects of different players, in my opinion we shouldn't have to pick a favourite, it doesn't prove anything.....

ReputationRep:
    Seems to me like a lot of people base their "best guitarist" view on whoever can do the most bad ass solo too.

What about the guitar playing in this?

But Johnny Marr didn't go around doing 20 minute insane solos or setting stuff on fire so isn't quite as hyped as some others are. There will never be a "best guitarist".

ReputationRep:
    As someone brought up on a tonic of blues and rock n' roll I would say Hendrix is not over-rated, if anything he's under-rated because people nowadays don't actually really listen to his songs and instead just support the 'legend' as it were...if you listen to what he was doing and put into the context of the time it was staggering - he completely transformed, revolutionised and (insert superlative here) guitar playing.

Clapton isn't a shade on him and is over-rated IMO but that's not to say he isn't a brilliant guitar player.

For me the best guitarist of all time by a country a mile and then some is Stevie Ray Vaughan, but those beyond the serious guitar playing community have rarely heard of him (as he was sadly lost in his prime) and that's a great shame as he was truly unbelievable (Clapton himself described him as the best ever).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anameofsomesort)
    Steve Howe
    The most underrated guitarist. If hes playing a song you havent heard, you can tell its him just by his style as its so unique I cant even describe it, kinda jazzy maybe? God knows
    You're not wrong there, a vastly underrated and incredibly versatile player.

OP is uneducated, musically or otherwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fixed)
    I've said this before and i'll say it again, this is a petty 'YouTube' argument. why does there have to be a "best guitarist" music is an art form, not a competition. I appreciate different aspects of different players, in my opinion we shouldn't have to pick a favourite, it doesn't prove anything.....
    Good answer! This, as always will just turn into the debating of several different aspects of playing (technical ability, influence, live performances, etcetcetc), when nobody can objectify a 'best player'.

Although I do love Johnny Marr :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Snips)
    OP is uneducated, musically or otherwise
    Nice informed comment from an uneducated poster.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus not this underrated / overrated **** again. Clapton shouldn't be in the same sentence as Hendrix.

ReputationRep:
    the bassist Jack Casady from Jefferson Airplane. There is a reason his fans affectionately nickname him 'god'.

ReputationRep:
    Just because others are underrated it doesn't make Hendrix or Clapton overrated.

EDIT: just seen other posts basically saying the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    Jesus not this underrated / overrated **** again. Clapton. Shouldn't be in the same sentence as Hendrix.
    Fixed.

I wouldn't say Clapton is overly popular or generally considered a world greatest guitarist. He's brilliant, but not one of the best IMO.

Hendrix on the other hand is certainly not overratted, he was a genius and just knew how to write music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    Jesus not this underrated / overrated **** again. Clapton: he shouldn't be in the same sentence as Hendrix.
    (Original post by acp11)
    Fixed.
    :-?

(Original post by TheCasual)
    I'm suprised Joe Satriani hasn't benn mentioned
    Met him. Legend.

ReputationRep:
    Hendrix was the greatest guitarist of his time, period.

ReputationRep:
    Frank Zappa was the greatest of all time imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Zoltan)
    Frank Zappa was the greatest of all time imo.
    Good call - and Zappa was hugely influential

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.