Turn on thread page Beta

Please help - where can I go with only a 2.2? watch

ReputationRep:
    Your illiteracy also hurts my brain and will also hurt those of admissions tutors if you write like that in your application.

Can I just ask if you would be giving up your job to undertake a master's or if you would be continuing to work alongside part-time study? The latter would strike me as being the better option because you may not find it so easy to get a job at your current level again if you were to give up work completely at this stage (given the current economic climate etc).

As sapphire_eyes points out, there will be plenty of master's courses out there that do run parallel to your achievements, and what others have said about work experience being worth more than your degree classification to admissions tutors is important as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FranticMind)
    A 2.2 isn't bad, but its not good enough to make you stand out.

In other words you'll need more than just your degree to offer.
    OP phone the unis and ideally speak to the course director to check if they would consider work experience as an alternative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Your illiteracy also hurts my brain and will also hurt those of admissions tutors if you write like that in your application.

Can I just ask if you would be giving up your job to undertake a master's or if you would be continuing to work alongside part-time study? The latter would strike me as being the better option because you may not find it so easy to get a job at your current level again if you were to give up work completely at this stage (given the current economic climate etc).

As sapphire_eyes points out, there will be plenty of master's courses out there that do run parallel to your achievements, and what others have said about work experience being worth more than your degree classification to admissions tutors is important as well.
    Thanks for your post and suggestions, certainly worth thinking about.

If I can just add, a few spelling errors here and there is hardly enough to say I hurt your brain! To compare my grammar in an internet forum to that of what I would use on an application to a University is beyond belief to be honest...laughable in fact!

ReputationRep:
    Well, how can you expect people to think otherwise? Good SPAG should come naturally if you know how to use it, frankly - the fact that we're online at the moment shouldn't make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Well, how can you expect people to think otherwise? Good SPAG should come naturally if you know how to use it, frankly - the fact that we're online at the moment shouldn't make a difference.

Why would this bother you so much though - enough for you to comment about my grammar before actually replying to the questions I asked?!
    I did not post a comment in order for people to check for spelling errors and provide me with negative feedback. I asked questions about my degree result...my grammar shouldn't concern you as much as it has, you can obviously still read it as you replied!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princesslittlehead)
    Dear all,

I am feeling very lost at the moment. I am wanting to return to University and study a graduate course but I just dont know which.

I am very confused at the moment as to which area to go into and wherever I look you seem to need a 2.1 to do anything!!!

I have pretty average grade from GCSE's to A Level to my degree but I can put my mind to anything when i try and i am a fast learner.

I know I have full capabilty of doing a graduate course despite not having a 2.1!

I have looked into a few different areas including, Medicine, Law, Psychology, Teaching and Social Work.
    My degree is in Criminology and have worked with offenders for the past 6 years.

I just dont know what to do with my career as I want to do a course which can lead to a sucessful career and hopefully a professional qualification which will result in good pay!!
    What I dont want to do is do a another course which will not actually help me progress.

Any advice would be great or anybody who feels they are in a similar situation to me having only a 2.2

What has really dissapointed me I think is that at the time i was so proud of myself for having gained a degree and thought a 2.2 was great, but looking out their now 6 years on...i feel it is a let down to people as EVERYWHERE expects a 2.1 minimum!!

many thanks for reading this and apologies if I have ranted a little.

x
    I think you should keep your sights high.

The 2:1 minimum doesn't really apply to folk with solid work experience reading for degrees in subjects related to their work. I know an HR person admitted to read for an MSc in that subject as a first degree. I think, but am not sure, that she had A levels but she was not required to do access courses or anything like that.

Why not look for an MBA in the area in which you work. Most professional careers have management degrees. They are not necessarily at the business schools often referred to in these pages. They are usually recognised only within the relevant profession but they carry a great deal of clout within that profession. You may be able to get your employer to fund it on a full or part-time basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    The 2:1 minimum doesn't really apply to folk with solid work experience reading for degrees in subjects related to their work. I know an HR person admitted to read for an MSc in that subject as a first degree. I think, but am not sure, that she had A levels but she was not required to do access courses or anything like that.
    I was offered a place straight on a Masters in Development without having a full degree - I have an HND in Media.

I was tempted, but felt it would be too much of a step up, and that I needed some of the background knowledge you get on the BA.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.