Are you me? :eek:
LOl was just about to say this!
Nayberay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Threads like this make me glad as **** that I've actually put effort in keeping my skills, experience and CV updated.

OP, your only choice really is to spend your time constructively volunteering while you keep applying. Ask for travel expenses if it's a problem.
:facepalm: - That reminds me.. I need to update my CV again :teehee:
The Socialite
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jennie1987)
You dont need experience neither do you for checkout/admin/retail work in general as they train but they prefer people with experience and ppl like OP get beaten out of the race by other applicants who have it. Especially in this economy there are lots of good applicants out there applying for all jobs and so its much harder for ppl with no experience.
Exactly what I was saying - admin and retail work are going to prefer those with experience, and will want references etc. I think it's much easier to get bar work as there's more of a staff turnover and more likely to accept someone with no experience at all.

This economy frankly, sucks.

The only way I've got jobs in the past is pretending I've already had experience to be honest...haha.
Jennie1987
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The Socialite)
Exactly what I was saying - admin and retail work are going to prefer those with experience, and will want references etc. I think it's much easier to get bar work as there's more of a staff turnover and more likely to accept someone with no experience at all.

This economy frankly, sucks.

The only way I've got jobs in the past is pretending I've already had experience to be honest...haha.
You misread what i said; 'You dont need experience [for bar work] neither do you for checkout/admin/retail work in general as they train'. The point Im making is that bar work is NOT easier to get, they all have high turnover with admin less so but generally they are the areas students go into and right now everyone is clambering for those roles. What has OP got that an 18 year old with the same cv hasnt? Cos theres a lot of them applying too and 16 year olds who might want to get somewhere in the company rather than go seasonal,

And you can get caught out with pretending to have experience let alone that most people dont want to, thats why people volunteer and find this situation hard. Thats why there are hundreds of threads like this.
TheOneCurlyFry
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Haha i'm 18 and dont even have year 10 experience. I've JUST managed to get a part time job however i only start on the 15th of august then i'm off to university in late semptember! My employer thinks i'm taking a gap year too so i doubt i'm gonna be able to get a decent reference from him in future!
kamc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
When are you applying for work? You need to start looking earlier than June to get a summer job.
STARMissyB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This thread is worrying. I hope I don't end up like this.
odriscoll
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
Keep trying mate, I was in the same position as you. I turned 20 a few months back and had been constantly applying for part time work while at UNI but I always failed at the interview stage, on the rare occasion I got one that is. Finally got a part time job in Sainsburys this month and I'm happy with it and it's a worry off my mind for when I go on my 1 year placement next year. Good luck.
Bedshaped
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Threads like this make me glad as **** that I've actually put effort in keeping my skills, experience and CV updated.
Firstly well done to you.

Secondly, how is that helpful to this thread? I remember when I was in the OP's situation a few weeks ago and I felt like **** because I didn't have enough money for food or rent. Your comment might actually piss people off and make them feel crap. Idiot.

OP. Keep trying, seriously, it does happen. I've somehow managed to get a job for next year at university and got a ****** few jobs here and there during the summer, working as a leafletter, I've signed up to an agency who SHOULD be getting me catering work next week. So yeah, keep trying!
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bedshaped)
Firstly well done to you.

Secondly, how is that helpful to this thread? I remember when I was in the OP's situation a few weeks ago and I felt like **** because I didn't have enough money for food or rent. Your comment might actually piss people off and make them feel crap. Idiot.
Shall I call the waaaaahmbulance?
Bedshaped
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Shall I call the waaaaahmbulance?
:yep:

Nob.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1068)
79.05%
Leave (283)
20.95%

Watched Threads