What do you consider to be an elite job? Watch

River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PJ991)
A job where you have only a small number of people in a similar role. So basically people high up in whatever industry they work in. So not just 'doctors and lawyers lulz' because there's lots of them.
Indeed. Especially as "lawyer" can mean anything from legal executive, solicitor working in local government, solicitor in a MC firm or barrister. So, in salary terms, around 27k - 150k+.

I wouldn't call a job paying just over the national average, of which there are thousands and thousands others, as being elite. No more than a teacher.

I'm only bumping this thread because I'm interested to see if anyone mentions engineer (or a kind of scientist).
Tashalls
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
one that gets you over £50k
princessnavi22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm biased but I think teachers, because they inspire children to want to do better and encourage them to learn and push themselves, without good teachers there wouldn't be very many people getting into elite jobs.
Lack of Creativity
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
One where thousands of people know your name without you ever having met them.
WithFlyingColours
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by River85)
I'm only bumping this thread because I'm interested to see if anyone mentions engineer (or a kind of scientist).
Doubt it, as the word 'engineer' is used so loosely in this country. Most people don't know what a genuine engineer, who has a degree, actually does. They don't realise that it's an academic discipline.
Jelephant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ninja Warrior
Snavej
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
assassin
MeineJunge
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Airline pilot?
River85
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by WithFlyingColours)
Doubt it, as the word 'engineer' is used so loosely in this country. Most people don't know what a genuine engineer, who has a degree, actually does. They don't realise that it's an academic discipline.
That's my point.

Even those who do have a fair idea about what it is probably don't care much as engineering and science is often dismissed or not valued.

Says the person with a Philosophy and Politics degree and all arts A-levels :p:
WrigglyMammoth
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
super villain/sherlock holmes
WrigglyMammoth
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's my point.

Even those who do have a fair idea about what it is probably don't care much as engineering and science is often dismissed or not valued.

Says the person with a Philosophy and Politics degree and all arts A-levels :p:
are other engineers fake? or just worth less?
Einheri
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Babysitter, bramble-picker, et cetera.
vin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
King/Queen/President and such
Markh1000
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by xCBRx)
:yep:
skinny-minnie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
rocket scientist/brain surgeon
Eclectic Styles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by iheartmondays)
QFR
(Original post by PJ991)
A job where you have only a small number of people in a similar role. So basically people high up in whatever industry they work in. So not just 'doctors and lawyers lulz' because there's lots of them.
For PJ991 reply, I'd say you'd be looking at consultant (if not senior consultant/leading person in field) level for Medicine. That's definitely an `elite` job, no question...
crazedmonkey09
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
page3 girl
River85
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by WrigglyMammoth)
are other engineers fake? or just worth less?
What do you mean, "other engineers"? If you mean a gas boiler techician, a plumber or a mechanic then these aren't engineers and, in most other developed countries, they'd be breaking the law by using the term.

This doesn't mean I value a boiler techincian less than I do an engineer as I certainly don't. I have even less chance of being a good boiler techincian than I have a "real" engineer and for this reason, and the importance of the job, I respect it.
WrigglyMammoth
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What do you mean, "other engineers"? If you mean a gas boiler techician, a plumber or a mechanic then these aren't engineers and, in most other developed countries, they'd be breaking the law by using the term.

This doesn't mean I value a boiler techincian less than I do an engineer as I certainly don't. I have even less chance of being a good boiler techincian than I have a "real" engineer and for this reason, and the importance of the job, I respect it.
en·gi·neer (nj-nîr)
n.
1. One who is trained or professionally engaged in a branch of engineering.
2. One who operates an engine.
3. One who skillfully or shrewdly manages an enterprise.

argue with the facts
River85
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by WrigglyMammoth)
en·gi·neer (nj-nîr)
n.
1. One who is trained or professionally engaged in a branch of engineering.
2. One who operates an engine.
3. One who skillfully or shrewdly manages an enterprise.

argue with the facts
Yes, that is simply because engineer is not a professionally protected term.

An engineer is a professional who is practiced in the field of engineering. Engineering is "applying advanced scientific and mathematical principles to practical ends such as the design, manufacture, and operation of efficient and economical structures, machines, processes, and systems".

But I really don't see the problem. You asked me if I thought they were less worthy and I don't. I'm not being a snob, I'm not saying people who are, say, boiler technicians are not worthwhile. They certainly are. They perform a valuable job and one which can sometimes demand a higher salary than an engineer.

It's just that science and engineering in particular has a very bad image in this country. The term is misused so much that people have become confused and don't know what engineering really is. This is not a good thing for our scientific heritage and progress and, as a result, it needs to be a protected term. Just like it is in many other developed countries.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.61%
No (553)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise