Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by broadwayrachael)
    I looked into buying a Kindle, but was a little put off by the fact that it is not backlit - i.e. you can't read it in the dark without a light. I found out that there is actually a Kindle app on my iPad, so I downloaded that and it has all the features of the Kindle, but it's backlit as it's on my iPad
    The only problem is the distracting beckon of Doodlejump when i'm reading
    If the backlight thing doesn't bother you, then the programme is fantastic! Obviously I don't have the actual console, but the programme allows you to highlight, bookmark, and make notes on the page, which is fab for academic texts in particular! I've found it very useful, as I can just take the iPad (which is very light and slim) out with me, rather than a heavy, awkward stack of books!
    I personally love it
    I think you have misunderstood the purpose of the Kindle, it isn't backlit for a reason... so it actually looks as if you are reading a book. The backlight is also bad for your eyes if you are reading for a prolonged amount of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon)
    I think you have misunderstood the purpose of the Kindle, it isn't backlit for a reason... so it actually looks as if you are reading a book. The backlight is also bad for your eyes if you are reading for a prolonged amount of time.
    I understand the thought behind the Kindle perfectly actually - i'm just saying this doesn't work for me personally, so i'm only giving my opinion of the programme, and not the console itself

ReputationRep:
    I dunno but I bet people are gonna get it for xmas!

ReputationRep:
    I understand the thought behind the Kindle perfectly actually - i'm just saying this doesn't work for me personally, so i'm only giving my opinion of the programme, and not the console itself
    Oh ok, in that case i'm sorry.

^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon)
    Oh ok, in that case i'm sorry.

^_^
    No problem sorry it wasn't clear!

Theirs a kindle 3g as well what's the difference?

ReputationRep:
    I looked into buying a Kindle, but was a little put off by the fact that it is not backlit - i.e. you can't read it in the dark without a light. I found out that there is actually a Kindle app on my iPad, so I downloaded that and it has all the features of the Kindle, but it's backlit as it's on my iPad
    The only problem is the distracting beckon of Doodlejump when i'm reading
    If the backlight thing doesn't bother you, then the programme is fantastic! Obviously I don't have the actual console, but the programme allows you to highlight, bookmark, and make notes on the page, which is fab for academic texts in particular! I've found it very useful, as I can just take the iPad (which is very light and slim) out with me, rather than a heavy, awkward stack of books!
    I personally love it
    That's why I purchased the kindle cover with light

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCount.)
    Really? I've not seen any...
    There aren't a huge number, but they do exist.

For example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nineteen-Eig...0883476&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Lose-Fri...0883549&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Help-Kathryn...ref=pd_sim_b_1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/At-Home-shor...0884013&sr=1-1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Theirs a kindle 3g as well what's the difference?
    The 3G is for idiots with too much money being the main difference.

You can download onto the standard kindle using a wireless connection. The 3G just allows you to download "anywhere with 3G coverage".

So what's the problem?

You can download a years worth of reading straight onto your kindle over the wireless and never need to download again. So what exactly is the advantage of 3G for £50 more? None.

It really is a gimmick for real-life trolls

I had an iPad and an older Kindle (may have been DX). Gave both away but now am thinking of getting the Kindle 3 Wifi. Don't like the graphite colour though (only one available in the UK). iPad would be too distracting for reading books on, battery life would be shameful next to the Kindle and the backlight would be a strain on the eyes. I do however love the visual display of iBooks with the bookshelf and book covers.

ReputationRep:
    I would love a Kindle for Christmas.
    I've been trying to read books on my smartphone but the screen is just too small.
    I'm still trying to understand how the 3G Kindle works and whether I should go for it or just get the WiFi model.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accesstohe)
    That's why I purchased the kindle cover with light
    Haha touche

ReputationRep:
    Haha touche
    haha these people cant seem to grasp the fact that the kindle NOT having a backlight and e-ink display is actually the great thing about it (y)

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting a kindle for Xmas, can't wait I also have an iPhone so will probably get the app for kindle as well.

I agree that Kindles are probably going to be the most asked for present this year!

ReputationRep:
    This might be a stupid question. With the wi-fi kindle, if you don't have a wi-fi connection where you are (for example in uni accomodation) can you connect it to your laptop to transfer your purchases?

ReputationRep:
    I bought a Kindle recently and absolutely love it. Just like reading a new book. There's also a lot of cheap stuff on there.

ReputationRep:
    haha these people cant seem to grasp the fact that the kindle NOT having a backlight and e-ink display is actually the great thing about it (y)
    You can actually buy an accessory which provides casing and a retractable light so you can read in the dark!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sybelius)
    You can actually buy an accessory which provides casing and a retractable light so you can read in the dark!
    Lol I know, I have one - it sucks light from the kindle

ReputationRep:
    My parents are getting me a Kindle for Christmas, as I have heard only good things about them from most people. I spend far too much money on books- there's literally no space left in my house! So fingers crossed this will be good for me.

I've also managed to find a lot of my course books (but not all) on the Kindle, which are cheaper than buying the paper copies

ReputationRep:
    I guess its just a personal thing but you can alter the page colour and texture and stuff on the iPad version, so it doesn't hurt my eyes as much as you'd think

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.