Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Longest its possible to stay awake? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    Anyone remember a TV show called "Shattered" that was on a few years ago? They had people on there trying to stay awake for a week. Apparently after you pass the 3 day mark you stop feeling sleepy... until you spontaneously collapse from exhaustion.

I don't think I've ever been awake for more than 24 straight hours, though there was once a 3 day (~72 hour) period where I was awake apart from two two-hour naps...
    Michael Portillo did something similar for Horizon. On the last day he began to get some quite violent urges

ReputationRep:
    All this talk is making me sleepy. And I have work at 6. zzzz

ReputationRep:
    My record is around 20 hours, where I was undergoing a physical activity for around 15 hours of that time. Tried a couple of other times, but fell asleep through boredom and a lack of mental stimulant.

ReputationRep:
    Managed 72 hours at one point last year, cos I left too much coursework to the last minute and had to pull 3 all-nighters in a row. Was brought to an embarrasing end by falling asleep in a lecture (on the front row) and drooling over the front of my t-shirt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    "Experts say one of the most alluring sleep distractions is the 24-hour accessibility of the internet. "
    Doesn't surprise me. If the 'net didn't exist I'd probably go to bed a lot earlier. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    I was awake for 40 hours until I went to bed at 2 in the morning (watching the cricket was painful), and with the help of 4 coffees over that time I felt c0ompletely fine, not that tired at all. This got me wondering what the longest time its possible to stay awake with, using any LEGAL stimulants, like coffee, pro plus, any drinks etc. I think I could do 72 hours no problem (not gonna try it for a while at the rate the crickets going though) but even that could be beaten by quite a wide margin I think.

The only side effect was when I woke up I had a massive headache and a cold and just generally feel like ****.

Whats the longest you've stayed awake for, and what do you think the limits are?
    11 days, my friend did that

ReputationRep:
    I've stayed awake for 5 days, but I was hallucinating and thus it was pretty much impossible to fall asleep with such distractions until the hospital provided me with strong medication to help me sleep.

ReputationRep:
    I think i managed 2 days without sleep because i was playing a game lol.XD

ReputationRep:
    I've done about 50hours awake then slept for 19hours

ReputationRep:
    longest I've done is 3 days and 2 nights....

so...55-60 hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    Anyone remember a TV show called "Shattered" that was on a few years ago? They had people on there trying to stay awake for a week. Apparently after you pass the 3 day mark you stop feeling sleepy... until you spontaneously collapse from exhaustion.

I don't think I've ever been awake for more than 24 straight hours, though there was once a 3 day (~72 hour) period where I was awake apart from two two-hour naps...
    I remember that program, and they eliminated people by their ability to keep track of time.

ReputationRep:
    During my final year of computing alevel I went 48 hours no sleep and then another 48 with only an hours sleep. I returned from a very dark place that I never want to go back too.

ReputationRep:
    I ve done 3 days before, during exam period. I don't reccommend trying it.

ReputationRep:
    Mine was probably about 40 hours, it was my birthday as well! I was in Turkey, the flight was meant to be in the middle of the night, so we stayed up and got to the airport two hours before our flight, then the flight was delayed by 3 hours so I basically stayed up all night in the airport, flew home, got home about 9am, then was going out for the day to a gig in hyde park with my family. Got the tube into London, was up all day and a lot of the evening, came home and finally slept! I was so unbelievably tired

ReputationRep:
    I did about 3 days. Then I became very shaky and threw up and then slept for about a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Wasn't your performance in the exams impeded by your lack of sleep?
    I was actually quiet suprised I was feeling really "hyped up" but that could just be because I had some coffee and an energy drink on the way to school I did the exam really fast went through it a few times and it felt like time was in slow motion.

ReputationRep:
    4 days and a bit.Was watching anime and playing ps3 and went to an anime and movie convention .cant remember exactly but my 2 mates where over aswell.

ReputationRep:
    I'm saying it's no longer than about 8 - 9 hours...

ReputationRep:
    4 days after having slightly too much mcat back in the day, worst 4 days of my life, during final year of uni all nighters were pretty common though, used to regularly do 40+ hours on deadline day (and a night out straight after

ReputationRep:
    I'm already on 36 hours being awake and it'll easily smash past 50

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.