Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how do I ask a barista out? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JHar)
    Hah, that would be a complete winner xD
    hehe xD

(Original post by Wilzyy)
    mine was good, she'll chuckle at your cheesiness.
    Yours is pretty good. I'm afraid that I would screw it up somehow (I am quite literally the worst person in the universe at telling jokes).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wanischa)
    I'm amazed at the amount of people who don't know/pretend to not know what a barista is.
    I don't see why they especially should unless they want to show familiarity with brand terms. According to this, it's not in the dictionary and is only of late 20th century origin, being invented by Starbucks, with their love of using Italian or pseduo Italian terms:

http://baristo.net/index2.php?option...do_pdf=1&id=18

Will it catch on enough to enter popular usage like hoover? I hope not in a way. Why single out coffee makers rather than milkshake makers or smoothie makers with other terms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yours is pretty good. I'm afraid that I would screw it up somehow (I am quite literally the worst person in the universe at telling jokes).
    none of that, go in positive and confident and you will win. even if you are crap at telling jokes, stay positive and relaxed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Lol, now I've imagined you as Simon from Misfits now for some reason.
    Come on, it won't be hard lol. unless you end up looking too serious about it. Pair the line with a smile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red_Dragon123)
    If you have any chance of going out with her, At least get Barrister right.
    Lol fail.

ReputationRep:
    chaiwallah

ReputationRep:
    Just become Joey Tribbiani; "How you doin'?"
    In a perfect accent and she'll either fall for you instantly or just chuck the coffee at you.

ReputationRep:
    Be friendly (not overly so), and make casual conversation (don't drag it out too much). Come regularly, perhaps once or twice a week but definitely not daily as that would be creepy. Eventually, you should have some kind of rapport. Leave a scrap of paper with your name and number on the counter when you've paid one day, and leave it up to her to make the next move.

Well, that's what I'd do, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If you're struggling for jokes just go the direct route, when she serves you (if there's not a queue of people behind you obviously) just ask if she wants to meet up or something and trade numbers...

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually held a conversation with her before, beyond what's required to order a coffee? If not then don't bother 'cause it's creepy.

ReputationRep:
    It amuses me how some people assumed that the OP spelt "barrister" incorrectly and started frothing in the mouth. Anyhoo, I would personaly take it slow, like make yourself a regular and start by striking up a conversation with her. After about four or five more visits, just ask her out for a drink. The worst she can do is say no. Just one less punani in the world for I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    I don't see why they especially should unless they want to show familiarity with brand terms. According to this, it's not in the dictionary and is only of late 20th century origin, being invented by Starbucks, with their love of using Italian or pseduo Italian terms:

http://baristo.net/index2.php?option...do_pdf=1&id=18

Will it catch on enough to enter popular usage like hoover? I hope not in a way. Why single out coffee makers rather than milkshake makers or smoothie makers with other terms?
    I thought people should if they do spend a lot of time at coffee shop like I do...
    Plus it's not that hard to work out. Bar-ista = the person that works at the bar
    Maybe they do have special name for milkshake and smoothie makers? :/

ReputationRep:
    I thought people should if they do spend a lot of time at coffee shop like I do...
    Plus it's not that hard to work out. Bar-ista = the person that works at the bar
    But bar-ista is not the origin of the word... even if that's what Starbucks mean by the term it betrays the origins of the Italian word it's based on. In other words, Starbucks are ignorant cultureless buffoons who happen to serve reasonably tasty, overpriced coffee.

(Original post by sango)
    It amuses me how some people assumed that the OP spelt "barrister" incorrectly and started frothing in the mouth. Anyhoo, I would personaly take it slow, like make yourself a regular and start by striking up a conversation with her. After about four or five more visits, just ask her out for a drink. The worst she can do is say no. Just one less punani in the world for I guess.
    Especially as said person has a law degree!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Serves the grammar nazis right if they're making fun of the OP for saying barista...

As others have said, just ask her out I guess? Just casually, getting a drink, talk for a bit, go from there. Easier said than done I know.

ReputationRep:
    Is it a Starbucks? If not, do other people there refer to it?

Coffee shops always look like a good place to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    But bar-ista is not the origin of the word... even if that's what Starbucks mean by the term it betrays the origins of the Italian word it's based on. In other words, Starbucks are ignorant cultureless buffoons who happen to serve reasonably tasty, overpriced coffee.
    I know it's not. I said it's how I worked out what barista is =_=
    I don't even drink at Starbucks. Barista is bartender in Italian, I know.
    It's not just starbucks that call Coffee maker a barista.

People nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    Is it a Starbucks? If not, do other people there refer to it?

Coffee shops always look like a good place to work.
    No, never a starbucks.
    Always Costa for me. Went to Starbucks once, the drink tasted like powdery coffee, it was disgusting.

I think that was probably how I know, I was going to apply for a job as a barista at Costa.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's not. I said it's how I worked out what barista is =_=
    I don't even drink at Starbucks. Barista is bartender in Italian, I know.
    It's not just starbucks that call Coffee maker a barista.

People nowadays.
    Well that's mass culture for you - when Starbucks started using the term everyone else (well, the other chains) followed suit.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.