Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    1. Can't multitask - she wouldn't be able to listen to music while word processing for example. Massive problem?
    All iOS devices (including the iPad) have always been able to listen to music in the background while doing other things since day one. All apples apps have been able to multitask all the time, so the iPod app has always been able to play music while the user is typing something / on the web / whatever.

And last week Apple release iOS 4.2.1 which brings Apple's style of multitasking to the iPad.

However, I do agree with the general principle of your post in that an iPad really is not good enough to use as a "main computer". In actual fact, you can't use it as a main computer as you need a computer running iTunes to sync the iPad to.

ReputationRep:
    Are you seriously suggesting that someone doing a degree should use an iPad as their main device? :rolleyes:

Pretty basic problems with the iPad:

1. Can't multitask - she wouldn't be able to listen to music while word processing for example. Massive problem?
    2. Doesn't support flash - tons of web related issues
    3. Needs an adapter for pretty much everything - can't just shove a USB drive in for example
    4. Can't install software - she would be limited to the apple app store

Please stop trying to convince people to waste their money on iPads like this, it really annoys me when people claim the iPad can compete in this field. They're good for a secondary device (maybe), but suggesting someone should only have an iPad for degree level work is just insane. More insane than buying an Air anyway...
    The OP only said word processing, if it is simple word processing that is what I would recommend. [And I should know, I happen to work in an apple store :L].

1. The iPad CAN multitask with the 4.2 upgrade just released.
    2. Flash is an outdated medium which wastes power anyway, a macbook air or ultra portable laptop will lose power at a significantly faster rate. Most decent sites have switches over to HTML5.
    3. A USB 2.0 drive is all she would need for word processing? Need I remind you if she plans on buying a macbook air she does not need a cd drive quite obviously for example?
    4. The OP does not mention any specific software apart from web browsing, emails and word processing.

Once again, who works for Apple? Who has been trained to accommodate the customers needs? I am recommending her a CHEAPER device because from what the OP has said she requires, she needs nothing more so why would he need to waste money paying for needless power she would not need?

Furthermore if she has an EXISTING Laptop she can use that to sync with an iPad and use that machine for her more powerful applications.

EDIT : Not to mention an iPad is a device that is so much easier to use over a laptop in certain situations. You can just pull it out of your bag and have a browse around, rather than having to find something to mount on your lap etc. It has a chic style and is just a fun device to use. if the OP required more power, I would jump straight to the macbook.

ReputationRep:
    Are you seriously suggesting that someone doing a degree should use an iPad as their main device? :rolleyes:

Pretty basic problems with the iPad:

2. Doesn't support flash - tons of web related issues
    3. Needs an adapter for pretty much everything - can't just shove a USB drive in for example
    4. Can't install software - she would be limited to the apple app store

Please stop trying to convince people to waste their money on iPads like this, it really annoys me when people claim the iPad can compete in this field. They're good for a secondary device (maybe), but suggesting someone should only have an iPad for degree level work is just insane. More insane than buying an Air anyway...
    I really like the ipad but I completely agree with you. It makes a great secondary device, especially if you only have a desktop and want something that you can take with you. But to suggest it as a replacement for a laptop or pc, especially for the kind of tasks she would need to do is not great advice.

For the original post, I would say that the air would be adequate. The macbook is better value for money but the macbook air is very nice and has great portability. With Mac OSX I doubt she will find any issues using it for the kind of things you mention. She might struggle with the limited HD space but you could always buy a 256GB SSD off ebay for about £250 and sell the one that comes with the Air for £150 ish. Thats what I would do.

Otherwise, the macbook would be better value but I guess you know that already and are wanting advice on the MB Air.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Most decent sites have switches over to HTML5.
    That's really not true.
    There are still an awful lot of sites that use flash. To brush those under to carpet is kind of silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    That's really not true.
    There are still an awful lot of sites that use flash. To brush those under to carpet is kind of silly.
    What do you need from other sites that use flash that you can't get from those that use html 5?

Youtube, most news sites [either the websites themselves or respective apps] etc
    The truth is that the combined advent of app game, apps and sites that use HTML 5 make up more than enough of the content to fill up the hole where flash is...

ReputationRep:
    What do you need from other sites that use flash that you can't get from those that use html 5?
    4OD, Demand Five, some iPlayer stuff (it sometimes takes a few hours longer for things to be available on the iPhone iPlayer site), random sites that use flash video (the escapist is one I use a lot to watch Zero Punctuation, gametrailers etc).

I agree that flash should die, but to already claim its demise is a bit early IMO. Especially as HTML5 doesn't really support any DRM for video.

ReputationRep:
    The OP only said word processing, if it is simple word processing that is what I would recommend. [And I should know, I happen to work in an apple store :L].

1. The iPad CAN multitask with the 4.2 upgrade just released.
    2. Flash is an outdated medium which wastes power anyway, a macbook air or ultra portable laptop will lose power at a significantly faster rate. Most decent sites have switches over to HTML5.
    3. A USB 2.0 drive is all she would need for word processing? Need I remind you if she plans on buying a macbook air she does not need a cd drive quite obviously for example?
    4. The OP does not mention any specific software apart from web browsing, emails and word processing.

Once again, who works for Apple? Who has been trained to accommodate the customers needs? I am recommending her a CHEAPER device because from what the OP has said she requires, she needs nothing more so why would he need to waste money paying for needless power she would not need?

Furthermore if she has an EXISTING Laptop she can use that to sync with an iPad and use that machine for her more powerful applications.

EDIT : Not to mention an iPad is a device that is so much easier to use over a laptop in certain situations. You can just pull it out of your bag and have a browse around, rather than having to find something to mount on your lap etc. It has a chic style and is just a fun device to use. if the OP required more power, I would jump straight to the macbook.
    1. Wasn't aware of the new update, however it will never multitask as well as a netbook equivalent.
    2. Flash is outdated? Billions of web pages use it... just because Steve Jobs doesn't like it and thinks HTML 5 is the future doesn't mean people don't need it. Some sites simply can't be used on the iPad/iPhone because they don't have flash support. I concede, this is a tiny percentage these days, however to say flash is outdated is ridiculous.
    2a. Battery life - if you're trying to say an iPad's battery life is going to beat a netbook's you are mistaken - a decent netbook can last for closer to 6 hours. Play games on an iPad and you'll be dead within a few hours. I know this because I've tried it.
    3. It doesn't have a USB port. This is a pretty basic need for the average user. From what I can remember, she would need to buy adapters to solve this problem. Not even going to start talking about SD card support either. Face it, not having a USB port is probably the biggest problem with the iPad when trying to use it for business.
    4. Although it isn't mentioned by the OP, installation of software is something any normal user would miss. Yes, the appstore is gigantic, but it still a big deal to many people when they want the software everyone else has, but have to settle for the apple equivalent or in some cases, nothing at all.

Recommending a cheaper device? On the contrary, for her needs she could get a netbook which would be just as lightweight and meet or exceed all of her needs whilst being literally half the price :rolleyes:

In some situations the iPad would be easier to use than a laptop - I don't deny that. However for standard word processing and use it would be annoying - she'd either have to buy a stand to use at her desk, or somehow balance it on her knees while using the keyboard. You must agree that writing an essay is going to be far easier using a conventional laptop - I know I'd get frustrated trying to use an iPad for hours on end.

I know this is a huge post, but if you think an iPad is a good device for a degree student (or any for that matter) to work on you are simply insane?! Please don't make me argue my point further because this is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno if it's been mentioned yet because I can't really be bothered to look through the whole thread properly :P but have you thought about getting your hands dirty and making a Hackintosh instead? Slightly illigal I know but you could save a fair bit of money. Just a thought...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamal B)
    I dunno if it's been mentioned yet because I can't really be bothered to look through the whole thread properly :P but have you thought about getting your hands dirty and making a Hackintosh instead? Slightly illigal I know but you could save a fair bit of money. Just a thought...
    Isn't really what the OP is after, but getting hackintosh to work properly is one of the most annoying things to try 90% of the time. I think the main reason for wanting the Air is simply due to its design in this case.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't really what the OP is after, but getting hackintosh to work properly is one of the most annoying things to try 90% of the time. I think the main reason for wanting the Air is simply due to its design in this case.
    Fair point, but this way, he could still go for the netbook approach and still have the Mac OS running on it, lifehacker is worth having a look at for this. Like I said, just a thought...

ReputationRep:
    Fair point, but this way, he could still go for the netbook approach and still have the Mac OS running on it, lifehacker is worth having a look at for this. Like I said, just a thought...
    Yeah, but what I meant was the OP isn't thinking of getting the Air because of the OS, just because of its looks?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I knew that I read the fact that her last laptop was an apple therefore went hackintosh. Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Serious answer, if you want to buy her a Mac Book Air I think it's a great idea. Make sure you buy the 13" as in my opinion the 11" is too small, they're great little laptops and if you have the money for one I'm sure she'll love it. The only problem with the Air is it's a little low on solidstate drive space so make sure you buy one with a 128gb SSD minimum.

A lot of people on here hate all things Apple and don't really see the Mac Book Air for what it's intended for and compare it to other laptops that serve a different purpose. The Air is light and stylish + she already uses the Mac OS so she can get started straight away, there's no issue with her moving what was on her old laptop to the new one. Guu fer it my son.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I knew that I read the fact that her last laptop was an apple therefore went hackintosh. Sorry!
    Don't apologise, if I was you I wouldn't have read the whole thread either

(Original post by NS17)
    Serious answer, if you want to buy her a Mac Book Air I think it's a great idea. Make sure you buy the 13" as in my opinion the 11" is too small, they're great little laptops and if you have the money for one I'm sure she'll love it. The only problem with the Air is it's a little low on solidstate drive space so make sure you buy one with a 128gb SSD minimum.

A lot of people on here hate all things Apple and don't really see the Mac Book Air for what it's intended for and compare it to other laptops that serve a different purpose. The Air is light and stylish + she already uses the Mac OS so she can get started straight away, there's no issue with her moving what was on her old laptop to the new one. Guu fer it my son.
    I agree, its good for its intended use considering most people don't use half of the power modern laptops have. However, paying £850+ for it is where the craziness lies... I mean you could buy a CAR for that.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, its good for its intended use considering most people don't use half of the power modern laptops have. However, paying £850+ for it is where the craziness lies... I mean you could buy a CAR for that.
    It is expensive but the OP already stated that he has the cash, so the price tag isn't a point of contention.

ReputationRep:
    1. Wasn't aware of the new update, however it will never multitask as well as a netbook equivalent.
    2. Flash is outdated? Billions of web pages use it... just because Steve Jobs doesn't like it and thinks HTML 5 is the future doesn't mean people don't need it. Some sites simply can't be used on the iPad/iPhone because they don't have flash support. I concede, this is a tiny percentage these days, however to say flash is outdated is ridiculous.
    2a. Battery life - if you're trying to say an iPad's battery life is going to beat a netbook's you are mistaken - a decent netbook can last for closer to 6 hours. Play games on an iPad and you'll be dead within a few hours. I know this because I've tried it.
    3. It doesn't have a USB port. This is a pretty basic need for the average user. From what I can remember, she would need to buy adapters to solve this problem. Not even going to start talking about SD card support either. Face it, not having a USB port is probably the biggest problem with the iPad when trying to use it for business.
    4. Although it isn't mentioned by the OP, installation of software is something any normal user would miss. Yes, the appstore is gigantic, but it still a big deal to many people when they want the software everyone else has, but have to settle for the apple equivalent or in some cases, nothing at all.

Recommending a cheaper device? On the contrary, for her needs she could get a netbook which would be just as lightweight and meet or exceed all of her needs whilst being literally half the price :rolleyes:

In some situations the iPad would be easier to use than a laptop - I don't deny that. However for standard word processing and use it would be annoying - she'd either have to buy a stand to use at her desk, or somehow balance it on her knees while using the keyboard. You must agree that writing an essay is going to be far easier using a conventional laptop - I know I'd get frustrated trying to use an iPad for hours on end.

I know this is a huge post, but if you think an iPad is a good device for a degree student (or any for that matter) to work on you are simply insane?! Please don't make me argue my point further because this is ridiculous.
    1. Why not? it handles it pretty well...
    2. Flash IS outdated because the technology behind it is outdated. Nothing you can get bar a few specifics is not replaced by html 5 or the appstore.
    2a] Find a flash heavy site and watch your battery life fly away. If you turn off bluetooth, wifi and turn down the brightness you DRASTICALLY improve battery life on the iPad.
    3. I answered this question already. She doesn't seem to need a photo processor, and if the iPad is cheaper why can't she get an adapter? She wants it only for basic word processing and media consumption.
    4. She wants an apple, we have established this. So do not bring netbooks into this. This is between the macbook air, the standard macbook and the iPad. This is NOT a Mac vs PC thread. We have established it is one or the other.
    I highly doubt anybody is going to be doing prolonged writing without a hard surface to use it on anyway. Besides, the iPad can be used short term with the near fullsize digital netbook keyboard it has, which is not all together that bad. I said she would be using the apple keyboard dock. Which gives her a full size apple keyboard to work with too, for word processing this is ideal, as it then behaves like a normal laptop without a mouse and a touchscreen instead.

I will reiterate. She only needs it for word processing and media consumption. NOTHING ELSE, therefore I conclude the iPad is best choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NS17)

I am under the impression he has a budget to meet. The 13 is a nice option of course...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    4OD, Demand Five, some iPlayer stuff (it sometimes takes a few hours longer for things to be available on the iPhone iPlayer site), random sites that use flash video (the escapist is one I use a lot to watch Zero Punctuation, gametrailers etc).

I agree that flash should die, but to already claim its demise is a bit early IMO. Especially as HTML5 doesn't really support any DRM for video.
    Youtube has 4oD AND many of the videos found on places such as the escapist [ZP, EC etc].
    A demand Iphone/Ipad app is currently in production.
    BBC Iplayer is tricky I agree, but then that is their fault and not the iPads because they have not taken the time to optimize their bandwidth...

ReputationRep:
    2. Flash IS outdated because the technology behind it is outdated. Nothing you can get bar a few specifics is not replaced by html 5 or the appstore.
    As I have already said, there are more than a few. You really seem to have fallen for the apple line about HTML5 being the current. Its not. It is the future, but not quite yet. Flash is still used an awful lot. HTML5 is replacing it, but I think we'll still have flash for a couple of years yet. As I said, it doesn't help that the current HTML5 video spec doesn't have any DRM in it, so sites like 4OD won't move to it for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yorkie_in_kent)
    I really like the ipad but I completely agree with you. It makes a great secondary device, especially if you only have a desktop and want something that you can take with you. But to suggest it as a replacement for a laptop or pc, especially for the kind of tasks she would need to do is not great advice.

For the original post, I would say that the air would be adequate. The macbook is better value for money but the macbook air is very nice and has great portability. With Mac OSX I doubt she will find any issues using it for the kind of things you mention. She might struggle with the limited HD space but you could always buy a 256GB SSD off ebay for about £250 and sell the one that comes with the Air for £150 ish. Thats what I would do.

Otherwise, the macbook would be better value but I guess you know that already and are wanting advice on the MB Air.
    For the last time she only wants to word process? She only needs a keyboard to type and with iWork its a breeze. She doesn't need spreadsheets, she doesn't need databases. For basic word processing the iPad is easily able to handle basic word processing. [Which the OP wants]. She also wants it for media consumption, which the iPad is BUILT for.

Why is it on the internet people are like this? If I could demonstrate it to people I would, I have met people who come in with almost the exact same wants as the OP. I recommend them the iPad if they want a cheaper device just to carry around with them and have a play on if they wish.

It is only if they request more POWERFUL tools such as the office suite, Ilife, movie editing, photo editing etc that I would go up to the Macbook.

In all fairness the macbook air is normally the least sold machine [under the pro] in the shop. Only this new one is selling more because of the hype, but I do not recommend it to all but the people who are for that very specific niche between Hardware power and portability. To put it simply, there isn't much the iPad can't do that the Macbook air can.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.