Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The war on christmas is over Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Thank the Lord. I actually get very angry when people call it 'Winterval' and stuff. It's a Christian festival.
    errrrrrrrr no, its pre-pagan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    And how much air time are they giving to the actual meaning of the Yule? The nativity doesn't have anything to do with December so how is that 'the actual meaning of Christmas'?

Is there a point to be made here? Or are you just being pedantic and trying to show us all how clever you are?

This country has been Christian for over 1000 years; Christian culture was planted in this country when the pope sent St Augustine here himself, and Christian culture is woven deeply into the fabric that forms foundation of our society itself and has made us the people we are today.

So take those inverted commas off the actual meaning of Christmas.

By the way are you one of those new age druid types?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    Is there a point to be made here? Or are you just being pedantic and trying to show us all how clever you are?

This country has been Christian for over 1000 years; Christian culture was planted in this country when the pope sent St Augustine here himself, and Christian culture is woven deeply into the fabric that forms foundation of our society itself and has made us the people we are today.

So take those inverted commas off the actual meaning of Christmas.

By the way are you one of those new age druid types?
    The point I am making is that it is a winter festival, that is what it is. If people want to call it 'Christmas' then fine, I don't have a problem with it. What I do have a problem with is people saying its wrong/PC to call it Winterval/whatever. It not wrong, its right.

So what you're saying is that it was OK for the Romans to change out culture in the first century CE but its not OK for society to deviate from that now? The former change was right and no other change is?

To me there is an internal logic problem with what you're saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Shut up. Whether it's 'pre pagan' or not, it's also a celebration of Jesus Christ's birthday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Great Lord Xenu)
    Shut up. Whether it's 'pre pagan' or not, it's also a celebration of Jesus Christ's birthday.
    Yes, so call it Christmas if you want, just don't try and say Winterval is wrong.

(why do you celebrate his birthday 3 months after his birthday anyway?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    The point I am making is that it is a winter festival, that is what it is. If people want to call it 'Christmas' then fine, I don't have a problem with it. What I do have a problem with is people saying its wrong/PC to call it Winterval/whatever. It not wrong, its right.

So what you're saying is that it was OK for the Romans to change out culture in the first century CE but its not OK for society to deviate from that now? The former change was right and no other change is?

To me there is an internal logic problem with what you're saying.
    You're sort of trying to sidetrack me down an alley here,

this was a discussion about the meaning of Christmas, you seemed to think I didn't reside in the nativity. Rightly, most normal people do.

Also, we don't need to get into the rights and wrongs of changing a culture (Although what you call change I call loss since we don't have anything to change to (Islam?)), the point remains that Christianity is the foundation of our culture. For believers and non-believers alike, even Dawkins concedes that culturally he is a Christian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Yes, so call it Christmas if you want, just don't try and say Winterval is wrong.
    I'm not. I'm just telling you to shut up.

(Original post by Quady)
    (why do you celebrate his birthday 3 months after his birthday anyway?)
    A) Everyone else does.
    B) I don't actually know if/when Jesus was born.

ReputationRep:
    You're sort of trying to sidetrack me down an alley here,

this was a discussion about the meaning of Christmas, you seemed to think I didn't reside in the nativity. Rightly, most normal people do.

Also, we don't need to get into the rights and wrongs of changing a culture (Although what you call change I call loss since we don't have anything to change to (Islam?)), the point remains that Christianity is the foundation of our culture. For believers and non-believers alike, even Dawkins concedes that culturally he is a Christian.
    As a point how do you 'lose' a culture. Will we suddenly become cultureless lifeforms? Of course not-society IS culture. It doesn't have to change to anythin currently existing (indeed it can't change to anything currently existing) it will change to whatever it becomes with its own norms and ideas.

Or are you claiming that britian has had the same culture for the past 1000 years or so since we became Christian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WharfedaleTiger)
    As a point how do you 'lose' a culture. Will we suddenly become cultureless lifeforms? Of course not-society IS culture. It doesn't have to change to anythin currently existing (indeed it can't change to anything currently existing) it will change to whatever it becomes with its own norms and ideas.

Or are you claiming that britian has had the same culture for the past 1000 years or so since we became Christian?
    I think Michael Gove knew what he was talking about when he said our society has experienced a sundering from its past. Someone else put the same point across by saying our society is suffering from collective amnesia. The culture that prevails among the liberal elites and that has been forced upon the rest of us is pseudo-Western Culture. The values that they hold are moral novelties, not a part of Western culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    The date may be, but we are celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, an important Christian event.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    The date may be, but we are celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, an important Christian event.
    What do you mean 'the date may be'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    What do you mean 'the date may be'?
    The date may be the date of a pagan festival. The event we are celebrating however, is not.

ReputationRep:
    I think Michael Gove knew what he was talking about when he said our society has experienced a sundering from its past. Someone else put the same point across by saying our society is suffering from collective amnesia. The culture that prevails among the liberal elites and that has been forced upon the rest of us is pseudo-Western Culture. The values that they hold are moral novelties, not a part of Western culture.
    Can you explain this a bit further-just how has this saundering happened, where do you believe it comes from and how is 'liberal elite' culture pseudo-western?

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell the lefties r out in force today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    See this is the problem with the old government. They went to such efforts to not offend Muslims that they ended up causing people to hate Islam. Look at the whole winter lights episode. A council did it to try not to offend Muslims who then said they don't even care and would not be offended by Chrismas lights.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Thank the Lord. I actually get very angry when people call it 'Winterval' and stuff. It's a Christian festival. Would Muslims approve if I said I want to call Eid "break-of-fast day" or something because the word Eid offends me? No, I think there'd be uproar about that. I don't understand why people would be offended by a country celebrating their own traditional religious festival in their own way. If you really hate it, get out. It's that simple.

These are the type that support conservatives, people. Confused old gas-bags
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Roshi)
    So your trying to argue that Labour should try to protect minorities from something they do not care about in an effort to avoid offence at an issue that said minorities have previously stated they feel no offence from?

ReputationRep:
    good job mr pickles

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am a member of the Conservative party, and proud of it. Is there a problem with that? PM me, I'd love to talk it out. Oh and I'm 16, hardly the definition of 'old'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    So your trying to argue that Labour should try to protect minorities from something they do not care about in an effort to avoid offence at an issue that said minorities have previously stated they feel no offence from?
    No, I'm arguing you're silly for believing it even happened in the first place
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm arguing you're silly for believing it even happened in the first place
    Ok prove a council offical did not try to rename Christmas lights winter lights?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.